This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systane Balance for MGD

MGD Patients: Just wondering if anyone has tried this and did it help? The ads say it is specifically formulated for MGD. Does not come in preservative-free so I'm a little hesitant but if it works...

Thanks

This is only my opinion but personally I'm not a fan of it. Doctors will tell you differently, but keep in mind that some doctors get incentives from Systane to give out their drops. Again, this is just my opinion. I would imagine over 50% of dry eye sufferers and virtually all doctors will disagree with me on this one. The best eye drop is no eye drop at all, but I know that this isn't possible for most sufferers.

Comment

Systane Balance

Originally posted by browneyesblu View Post
      MGD Patients: Just wondering if anyone has tried this and did it help? The ads say it is specifically formulated for MGD. Does not come in preservative-free so I'm a little hesitant but if it works...

Thanks
      Hello, I use Systane Preservative free. Eye Clinic suggested I use Systane Balance, I tried it, but it made my eyes feel worse so I went back to old eye drops. Eye Clinic didnt seem suprised when I told them so I will stick with what I know.

Comment

Is this the one that says "Restorative"? I was wondering about it too as Im looking for a drop that helps those with poor oil layer.
        miserable in Miami...

Comment

I use it, systane balance. The doctor recommended it because it had longer lasting oils in it and I went to my local store and got it. It's expensive, 10-13 bucks for a 10ml bottle. So far I don't feel any difference. It helps initially when I put them on then it starts feeling worse again like always.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Chimera to answer your question yes it does say restorative, very distinctive purple box. I got more interested in this after watching Dr. Korb's video (see thread started by Peter56). Granted he does have a financial interest, he helped develop it, but they did do clinical trials and demonstrated it improved the lipid layer. But it's like Restasis, you have to use it consistently for months before you see any real results. I'm also going to try Retaine MGD, but talk about expensive! I've heard you can ask your dr. to order it and it's cheaper that way?

Comment

Hey Tankie,
              I totally agree with you !!

Originally posted by Tankie View Post
              This is only my opinion but personally I'm not a fan of it. Doctors will tell you differently, but keep in mind that some doctors get incentives from Systane to give out their drops. Again, this is just my opinion. I would imagine over 50% of dry eye sufferers and virtually all doctors will disagree with me on this one. The best eye drop is no eye drop at all, but I know that this isn't possible for most sufferers.

Comment

systane balance did nothing for me

Comment

The reason Systane Balance is recommended for MGD is that it contains oil which can help replace the lipid layer of your tears - this is the layer that is lacking in most with MGD and the result is that the tears you do have evaporate faster then normal. Regular Systane preservative-free does not contain any oil. The new Refresh Optive Advanced Sensitive also contains oil and is preservative-free so you may want to try them. They are much easier to find the Retaine MGD and a lot cheaper too. I buy them at Target or Walgreens.

Comment

Unfortunately when your like me with MGD and sensitivities to chemicals or preservatives, preserved tears harm my eyes. So it wont work, just have to suffer with what I got's. I hope more types of Emulsion eye drops could be invented, but as of right now the trends in the pharmaceutical industry and the FDA's strict regulations we wont see anything for another 20 years

Comment

Originally posted by rm14dp View Post
                      Hello, I use Systane Preservative free. Eye Clinic suggested I use Systane Balance, I tried it, but it made my eyes feel worse so I went back to old eye drops. Eye Clinic didnt seem suprised when I told them so I will stick with what I know.
                      In March, 2012, an optometrist recommended Systane Balance, and handed me a sample. I only tried it a few times because, like rm14d, I had some worrisome symptoms, such as stinging and blurring, plus some dizziness. I tried them once more a few months later, but I had the same negative experience. Ever since, I have resisted the slick-sounding marketing for Systane Balance.
                      Yesterday, an ophthalmologist suggested that I try Balance drops. I was shocked -- this was an internationally recognized expert in DES, who was suggesting this product to me without any caution about side effects, or without apparent concern when I reported my experience.
                      I am now back to Systane Ultra, augmented by Genteal Lubricant Eye Gel at bedtime, and have been satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                      X