Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blepharitis topical treatment, drops, ointment, etc?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blepharitis topical treatment, drops, ointment, etc?

Can someone tell me specific brand names and/or drug names of steroid or antibiotic drops for blepharitis? Pretty please?

My eye doc says they don't have such drops in this country; however, I would still like to ask at the pharmacy.

And yes, I am cleaning my lids, which helps significantly.

Here's some that come to mind as being sometimes prescribed for bleph/mgd -

Doxycycline (or occasionally minocycline) is an oral antibiotic frequently prescribed to people with chronic bleph here
    Azasite (azithromycin) is a topic antibiotic (often applied to lid margins not eyes) - hideously expensive but used a lot for stubborn bleph
    Bacitracin, tobramycin, erythromycin ointments (brand name or generics) are also used sometimes on chronic bleph

Common steroid drops include Pred Forte (prednisolone acetate) and Lotemax (loteprednal etabonate). Not what you really associate with bleph though doctors do use them to help get runaway inflammation under control.

Combo drops/ointments like dexamethasone/tobramycin ("tobradex") are used sometimes too.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Try Azasite.

Doctors prescribe it to help with MGD/Blepharitis but it can not be "proven" to help with MGD/blepharitis. Some people believe it helps liquify the oil whereas some other people believe it opens the glands, which in turn allows the oil to go through better. In either case, it may be something you would want to at least ask about and look into more.

Comment

Here's a website that lists ophthalmic steroids: http://www.drugs.com/drug-class/opht...-steroids.html

As for topical antibiotics, I agree with BigNate, Azasite might be the best way to go. Keep in mind that Azasite has BAK as a preservative. If you can't get Azasite, maybe it can be compounded for you (hopefully preservative-free)? This thread may help: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...light=durasite

WRT oral antibiotics, I've been on tetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline (all the tetracycline family). They are routinely prescribed for ocular rosacea (which includes blepharitis, MGD, etc.)

Good luck.

Comment

This helps a lot. Thanks everybody. You are awesome

Comment

demodex and blepharitis

50mg of doxycycline daily
            50% Tea Tree Oil / 50% Macadamia nut oil once a week on a Q-tip and scrup the lids/lashes and eyebrows.
            cliradex wipes - switched to this over the TTO. Rarily use TTO now.

Last appointment the doc said my blrepharitis was much imporved.

Comment

Thanks for the input djlasik

Comment

Working...
              X