Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most important things to do for meibomian gland dysfunction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most important things to do for meibomian gland dysfunction?

I was told warm eye compress 10 mins day
    Fish oil
    And eye drops (I use my moms refresh plus preserve free, not for contacts tho, which I wear)

Would tranquil eyes sleep mask help?
    Pretty expensive and not great reviews on amazon

Not sure if eyelids don't close properly

My eye doctor recommends Systane, which makes multiple brands. For daytime use, try the liquid gel drops and/or the Balance drops. Use the drops multiple times throughout the day, BEFORE your eyes start to bother you.
    At night, use Systane night gel that's in a tube, which is fairly thick. I swear after a few nights, you will have an easier time of it in the morning, and it will set you up for a more comfortable day if you use drops during the day. You also can try an eye mask after putting in the gel at night. Look for a less-expensive one on the web. My eye doctor gave me an eye mask filled with blue "gel-like beads" with a washable cotton cover. I heat it in the microwave for about 12 seconds. Be careful that it's not too hot. Then wear it for at least 15 minutes, but it is okay if you fall asleep with it. It might be worth a try for you. I have had the probe procedure in which the doctor opened each duct (dozens of them) on upper and lower lids. Unfortunately they almost all closed up. Now I am using eye drops made from my own blood serum in a compounding pharmacy. It hasn't worked as well as I hoped but I'm going to the doc tomorrow and we'll see what he says. Dry eye can affect your vision, as it has mine, so it's important to alleviate of much of the dryness as possible. I've been taking 4000 units of fish oil for 6 years and still got dry eye. I had to stop wearing contact because I no longer could remove the lenses due to dry eye. Contacts exacerbate the condition.

Comment

Sean, Onyix proved more functional for me than Tranquil Eyes. It seems that there are so many differences in MGD/DED that we find individual preferences. I eventually stopped fish oil and rice baggy compresses after 2 years without benefit. But night time eye cover does seem to help. Keep trying. Bill

Comment

I was about to open a thread to ask the same thing.
        After my treatment with vitamin D, could stop the inflammation of my eyes. But now I have some symptoms of MGD. I am a post-lasik patient.

The worst part is the morning. My eyes well agree. After 5 minutes start to turn red, no pain (vitamin D). After about 40 minutes, it is normal again. This time it remains good varies with the quality of my sleep.

The part of the night I managed to control dripping ENDURA 3 on 3 hours.

I'm considering trying ONYIX or tranquileyes too.

Comment

Thanks for responses guys

i just ordered the onyix sleep shield
          i was wondering if i should be using lubricant drops at night as well
          or does this have the potential to cause more problems (i've heard?) and do theese drops have preservatives?

also my eyes are mainly dry when i wear contacts, which is daily annd during the day until night time
          the drops i use are refresh plus preservative free vials
          and i think i just ordered systane preservative free vials as well
          these don't say "contacts" eye drops, but they're probably fine for them

but i couldn't find contact eye drops that came in vials and are therefore preservative free
          so i'm assuming the ones that are marketed for "contacts" have preservatives in them and could cause more harm than good?

if anyone could help on this front it'd be much appreciated

and i was also wondering whether people notice improvement doing the warm eye compress for longer than 10 minutes a day
          i notice when i miss a day, i'm significantly worse the next day
          and a few times i have done longer than 10 minutes (15 minutes) and there may have been some increased improvement in my condition the next day than when doing 10 minutes the previous day

any responses/experiences would be great
          thanks!
          going away to college in a few days, so i'm struggling to find things that could help fast

Comment

Have you tried not wearing contacts for a while? For me that was something that was really hard to give up, but unfortunately I needed to in order for my eyes to get better. Good luck in college man I just started grad school this week.

Comment

Working...
            X