Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eyes sensitive indoors. Moisture goggles may help?? discrete brands??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eyes sensitive indoors. Moisture goggles may help?? discrete brands??

Hi there,

I got diagnosed with blepharitous (rosacea type) some years ago and have been trying to control it since. Right now I use the modified release doxycyclin (efracea) plenty of omega supplements, strong anti histamines to cover the allergy angle (I suffer from many) and the standard eye-bag based daily heating/cleaning regime (including some lid massage which I have just recently introduced). Also theratears drops used regularly and a more viscous type at night.

I have things controlled to some extent (its better than it was a couple of years back) but it stills fluctuates a good deal (I work with computers and I think the strain here adds to my problem pretty significantly). It is still having a real impact on my life and I find social situations very difficult when my eyes are not comfortable (eye contact can feel quite intense...lifting your eyes and opening the aperture to max in a sustained way feels a little like a hair dryer is pointed at my eyes sometimes). However I find this seems to really vary *hugely* - if I am walking outside my eyes tend to feel more comfortable, and in certain indoor environments they feel ok too, but many indoor environments seem to me worse than others (I think generally if they are stuffy/warm etc, I assume something to do with humidity although it's hard to be sure, perhaps a lighting thing....everything around my eyes has become a little psychological for me at this point after years of focusing in so tightly on the problem). If often happens when I have just come in from a cool outdoor environment straight into a warm shop etc and have to deal with someone. It's possible I am also sensitive to the kinds of light I am coming into contact with but again I have no idea how to sensibly test this (I generally consider myself light sensitive and am always the first to shut off unpleasant overheads).

Anyway, a sensible thing to try seems to be moisture chamber goggles - If I could find something to relief some of this embarrassing response I have in many indoor envionrments I would be feeling much happier in myself. I have a pair of onion goggles being posted to me in the UK (I hope it is the brand talked about here....it is one from the UK but is looks very similar to me I think https://www.totally-funky.co.uk/PROD...oggles---Black ). I can use these for computer use (though I should really work with a very mild reading prescription lens...but if these help I can always find a brand that takes this later on)

Anyway, I am naturally quite self conscious and I am unlikely to wear anything outdoors that I look foolish in - can anyone recommend a moisture chamber that is really discrete....hopefully as close to looking like normal glasses or low profile wrap arounds as possible? most of what I see either look like huge chunky shades you might expect to see on ski slopes or motorcycles and I'm hoping to find something a little more discrete (ideally that is available to the UK but I can always order from elsewhere...just makes it difficult to try things out).

If I wanted to find someone that might help with unpleasant indoor lights, am I looking at some kind of tinted lense? Most lenses seem to only darken/respond to real outdoor light and are always clear indoors (thinking of those reactive lenses that darken when required).

Any ideas? (on any of the points above!). In general I am at a bit of a loss as I don't feel treatment really goes on further than where I am at, so something like this could go a long way if i get it right.

Thanks
    John

Hi John,

I suffer from the same things you describe and also have ocular rosacea. I use doxycycline (100mg), steroids and restasis. I cant answer your moisture chamber question as the ones I have are ugly looking! Are your eyes reddish? Have you found anything to help relieve this? I am SO self conscious about it. Could really use some guidance...

Comment

Hi John,

I just purchased 3 pairs of air chamber glasses, and I am pretty fashion conscious. The first pair I got off amazon and are onion goggles with a tortoise shell frame. Those I plan to use indoors, away from any glare and were $20. The second pair are WileyX Curve glasses (black frame with grey lens) which I will use while outside for activities like walking, hiking, etc. Those were about $90. The last pair are more stylish, 7Eye Briza, tortoise shell with copper polarized lens and those ran me $130. So I am covered in all facets of life while protecting my eyes. I would check out the websites for WileyX and 7Eye and see if they have a dealer in your location. That's what I did and was able to try them on before purchasing.

Best of luck...to tell you I was pretty impressed with the options I had. I still feel a little dorky but it is what it is. It is more important to physically feel better than feel a little silly.

Comment

There's also a thread called "Moisture Chamber Glasses/Goggles (user feedback please)" in here that has a lot of information as well.

Comment

Hi PeachesW,

Would you please tell me where you were able to try on the 7Eye Briza? I do not live too far away from NYC.

thanks!

Comment

Hi Amy,

20/20 Optical in Old Greenwich, CT. They had a pair of Boras already in stock. He is ordering me a pair of Brizas and a pair of Burans and I have agreed to buy at least one pair. I dealt with the owner, Eddie, and I am very satisfied with the service. And I think it is so nice of him to order sunglasses which there is a pretty small niche for in the marketplace!

And for the WileyX pair, I stopped into ProgressiVision in Stamford, CT and they actually had a pretty good selection of WileyX glasses. They were also very friendly and helped me choose the best shape and were willing to make lenses with specific tints to help with glare indoors.

I am very happy with both dealers and would recommend both!

Comment

Thanks guys - I think I will struggle to find 7eye etc dealers with physical locations in the UK (in fact I can only find one online shop selling them at all here). Perhaps I will get in touch to see if there is somewhere (even like a warehouse or something) I could turn up to try things on!

Faith1989 - I am not sure about your red-eye question. In theory I believe the steroids should be about the best thing for making your eyes look clearer and brighter (but dont quote me - I think my ophthalmic guy told me this once). Personally I don't mind if my eyes *look* red, as long as they feel ok (I am super self conscious about them feeling bad which knocks on to making my social eye-interactions a bit weird). Can you tell me if you find much relief from the steroids and restasis? I use Efracia (it may have a different US brand name but it is basically low dose doxycyclin specifically developed for ocular rosacea I believe) but not the others. I have been given steroids once or twice but I dont believe you should use them long term? how is the restasis?

Comment

Working...
              X