Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there, the birth control/hormone convo caught my attention. I do expect birth control pills contributed to my daughters dry eye nightmare. I have just posted in the Triumphs because she has at long last found a solution. All this time it has been a hormone thing. Feel like shouting it from the rooftops really. Almost 5 years suffering, and in the end the solution was simple natural progesterone cream. That estrogen dominance will dry you out, no doubt about it!! I explain a little more in that post on the mechanism if you're curious. Titled "Chronic Severe Dry Eye Resolved 98%" Had to share her story here, hoping it might help someone else.

Comment

Hi, Just happen to find this interesting article. Well, I do find it hard to believe, this dr only has 2 steps in treating MGD:
      LipiFlow + testosterone cream, so easy?

Testosterone cream may provide relief from MGD-related dry eye ----- June 3, 2016

MILAN — Applying a compounded testosterone cream on the eyelids offers patients long-lasting relief from dry eye symptoms, according to one speaker. At the OSN Italy meeting, Brian S. Boxer Wachler, MD, encouraged his colleagues to “keep an open mind” and try this simple solution for the benefit of their patients.

Meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) is the most common cause of dry eye, present in about one-third of adults over 40 years of age. Correlation with testosterone deficiency was proved 17 years ago by David Sullivan, PhD, who published 24 papers on this topic, Boxer Wachler said.

Once the diagnosis of MGD is confirmed, which can be done by simply pressing on the eyelids to squeeze out gland secretions, I treat my patients in two steps,” he said. “First, I clean out the meibomian glands with LipiFlow (TearScience). It is a 12-minute procedure, extremely safe and effective.

Then, I prescribe a 10% testosterone cream from the pharmacy to apply on the eyelids every night at bedtime or twice a day for advanced cases.” This treatment may require about a month to show improvements, but it is effective, according to Boxer Wachler. “I have used it for over 11 years, and I have seen it work in 95% of my patients, getting relief after 5, 10, even 20 years of suffering,” he said.

He dispelled concerns about side effects, such as hirsutism in women, which occurs in five out of 1,000 cases and is reversible by lowering the dose. Only prostate cancer is a contraindication, he said. – by Michela Cimberle

Reference:
      Boxer Wachler BS. Advanced dry eye treatments. Presented at: OSN Italy; May 20-21, 2016; Milan.
      Disclosure: Boxer Wachler reports no relevant financial disclosures.
      Editor's Note:This article has been updated to identify the manufacturer of LipiFlow as TearScience.

unquote------- from https://www.healio.com
      Last edited by MGD1701; 19-Nov-2017, 13:29.

Comment

Working...
      X