This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Oil Eyedrops

Hi Everyone I thought I would Inform you that throughout the rest of the World, they are making Leaps and bounds for Dry Eye.

I know coconut oil sounds silly putting it in your eyes, But they have discovered if its safe enough to eat, its safe enough to use on your skin or eyes. In the Form of at Sterilized Eye drop solution that is. I have also seen in some government forums that there already have been trials on other types of oils for eye drops. They have proven what is safe and not safe for the Eye's Mucous membranes.

Already some Clinical trials are being done on the Use of Coconut Oil in Eye drops in the Philippines You can find their progress here.

http://www.herbs.ph/index.php/resear...treat-dry-eyes

They have already shown that Tear break up time is Greater than current Medicine on the market.
    It will be interesting to see if these ever get approved by the FDA.

Sincerely, Meibomian Gland Man

For more information on Clinical Trails of other Substances used in eye Drops Look at the Pubmed Article here.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17962450

Comment

Thank you a great post.

Comment

Does coconut oil work for you, MGman? I tried it as a makeup remover and it dried my eyes out for hours.
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hello Dog2012,

Not to derail the thread, but your message box is full!

Thanks for sending the link to the Vitamin E oil with the dropper. Looks pretty good!

Logan x

Comment

This is the MCT oil that I reference in the goop section. MCT oil is highly refined coconut oil which might make it less effective that the unprocessed kind. I can attest that Vitamin E oil is extremely effective!

Comment

Cocnut oil

Originally posted by dryeyedave View Post
              This is the MCT oil that I reference in the goop section. MCT oil is highly refined coconut oil which might make it less effective that the unprocessed kind. I can attest that Vitamin E oil is extremely effective!
              I have used coconut oil in my dry eyes and have found it to be the best solution to dryness and also blepharitus with its anti-fungal properties. My oral surgeon is from the caribe a and he said it is widely used for varying kinds of infections and cleaning.

Also on another thread here I read about wet ones and killing bacteria on eye lids with blepharitus and have found that to be helpful as well. Right now I heat a small amount of oil and put it in my eyes before bed. I wake up without crusty eyes and my eyes are not dry like they are with conventional drops. I have been doing this for a year and have had no infection and routine eye exams with no found problems. Be sure the cocnut oil is extra virgin unrefined and I use organic Nutiva purchased on amazon. One tub last forever when I close it and store it properly. I use a small dropper and fill it, then when it is time to use the drops I out the glass dropper in a bowl of hot water and it melts inside the dropper. Check temps on the oil before use (I put it on my wrist) and I also put it on my eyelids and underneath as well. It is also a good makeup remover!

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                Does coconut oil work for you, MGman? I tried it as a makeup remover and it dried my eyes out for hours.
                Hey guys,

I've had pretty awesome success with coconut oil. I've actually never had anything work this well, and I've tried many things. I just rub a little virgin coconut oil underneath my eyes (on the skin) and within an hour or so, it seeps in and starts providing relief. I've noticed a little vision blurriness from this but IMHO it's worth it. It also minimizes the appearance of wrinkles! haha

Here's what I use (it lasts forever!): Nature's Way Coconut Oil-Extra Virgin 16 Ounces
                http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A little about me: I've had dry eyes for 12 years since I took Accutane in high school. I'm taking Restasis (which works a little), and I have my lower tear ducts plugged (which works pretty well).

All the best,
                Sean
                Last edited by seanrez; 18-Oct-2014, 18:16. Reason: add link to coconut oil on Amazon.ca

Comment

Hi Sean

Great news about the coconut oil, so glad its working for you, can i ask, did you have posterior blepharitis?

I really want to try the coconut oil next

Cath

Originally posted by seanrez View Post
                  Hey guys,

I've had pretty awesome success with coconut oil. I've actually never had anything work this well, and I've tried many things. I just rub a little virgin coconut oil underneath my eyes (on the skin) and within an hour or so, it seeps in and starts providing relief. I've noticed a little vision blurriness from this but IMHO it's worth it. It also minimizes the appearance of wrinkles! haha

Here's what I use (it lasts forever!): Nature's Way Coconut Oil-Extra Virgin 16 Ounces
                  http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A little about me: I've had dry eyes for 12 years since I took Accutane in high school. I'm taking Restasis (which works a little), and I have my lower tear ducts plugged (which works pretty well).

All the best,
                  Sean
                  Last edited by cathy8889; 04-Dec-2014, 14:00.
                  27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

I did not have blepharitis. Just Accutane-induced dry eye. It always felt like my tears would evaporate so fast. I was deficient in the oily layer, not the watery layer.

Comment

I did not have blepharitis. Just Accutane-induced dry eye. It always felt like my tears would evaporate so fast. I was deficient in the oily layer, not the watery layer.
                      I know this thread was started some time ago but i wanted to know whether you are still usiong the coconut oil please and is it still prioviding you with some relief?

Would really appreciate your help i am thinking of using it myself but would like to hear if its still working for you please ?

Regards Finbar

Comment

Originally posted by cathy8889 View Post
                        Hi Sean

Great news about the coconut oil, so glad its working for you, can i ask, did you have posterior blepharitis?

I really want to try the coconut oil next

Cath
                        Hi Cathy i have pm'd you but was just wonderiing if tyou got round to trying the coconut oil or not please ?

Regards Finbar

Comment

still using the coconut oil

Originally posted by Finbar94 View Post
                          I know this thread was started some time ago but i wanted to know whether you are still usiong the coconut oil please and is it still prioviding you with some relief?

Would really appreciate your help i am thinking of using it myself but would like to hear if its still working for you please ?

Regards Finbar
                          Hi Finbar, yes I'm still using the coconut oil along with my Restasis drops and punctal plugs. It works quite well if you're deficient in the oily tear layer. No more tear evaporation!

Give it a try. What have you got to lose? Nothing. Stop using it if it doesn't work for you.
                          Last edited by seanrez; 12-Feb-2015, 11:20. Reason: added another sentence at the bottom

Comment

Hi Finbar, yes I'm still using the coconut oil along with my Restasis drops and punctal plugs. It works quite well if you're deficient in the oily tear layer. No more tear evaporation!

Give it a try. What have you got to lose? Nothing. Stop using it if it doesn't work for you.
                            When I have put it on my eyelids I don't seem to get much relief! How much do you put on your lids and do you put it close to eye lashes please and on both lids or just one ?

Have you ever put coconut oil directly in the eye please !?

Regards Finbar, thAnks for your replies so far��

Comment

Originally posted by Finbar94 View Post
                              When I have put it on my eyelids I don't seem to get much relief! How much do you put on your lids and do you put it close to eye lashes please and on both lids or just one ?

Have you ever put coconut oil directly in the eye please !?

Regards Finbar, thAnks for your replies so far😃

I don't put it directly in my eyes. I rub just a little bit on my face and some of it slowly seeps in throughout the day. It sounds like you're putting way too much on and too close to your eyes. It's not supposed to replace your tears. It's just supposed to help keep them from evaporating.

If you used Accutane then you MUST try Restasis. It will reverse what Accutane did. I've been having great success with it so far. I've been using it for 8 months now.

Also, get some silicone punctal plugs installed. They take a few days to get used to but they work awesome. I've had mine in for about five years now.

Comment

Working...
                              X