This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A revolution, the theory explaining the root cause of dry eye

After 3 months of reading different articles and blogs, after the meibomians gland regrow , lacrimal gland regrow wich are very promising, i finally found THE ARTICLE that explain the root cause of most dry eye condition, and it's very realistic. as usual the answer is in front of the eye.
    If you have to read only one article , i think this is the one.

it'll explain why some traitement work better than others.
    it'll explain why your condition is worsening or improving.
    it'll answer to the most questions that are in this forum.

the puzzle is complete
    So take a drop and good reading:

see " DEBS – a unification theory for dry eye and blepharitis " here :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5158179/
    or
    https://www.dovepress.com/debsmdasha...t-article-OPTH

For many years, blepharitis and dry eye disease have been thought to be two distinct diseases, and evaporative dry eye distinct from aqueous insufficiency. In this treatise, we propose a new way of looking at dry eye, both evaporative and insufficiency, as the natural sequelae of decades of chronic blepharitis. Dry eye is simply the late form and late manifestation of one disease, blepharitis. We suggest the use of a new term in describing this one chronic disease, namely dry eye blepharitis syndrome (DEBS). Bacteria colonize the lid margin within a structure known as a biofilm. The biofilm allows for population densities that initiate quorum-sensing gene activation. These newly activated gene products consist of inflammatory virulence factors, such as exotoxins, cytolytic toxins, and super-antigens, which are then present for the rest of the patient’s life. The biofilm never goes away; it only thickens with age, producing increasing quantities of bacterial virulence factors, and thus, increasing inflammation. These virulence factors are likely the culprits that first cause follicular inflammation, then meibomian gland dysfunction, aqueous insufficiency, and finally, after many decades, lid destruction. We suggest that there are four stages of DEBS which correlate with the clinical manifestations of folliculitis, meibomitis, lacrimalitis, and finally lid structure damage evidenced by entropion, ectropion, and floppy eyelid syndrome. When one fully understands the structure and location of the glands within the lid, it becomes easy to understand this staged disease process. The longer a gland can resist the relentless encroachment of the invading biofilm, the longer it can maintain normal function. The stages depend purely on anatomy and years of biofilm presence. Dry eye now becomes a very easy disease to understand. We feel that dry eye should be treated and prevented by early and routine biofilm removal through electromechanical lid margin debridement.
    Last edited by bobXfr; 28-Nov-2017, 12:43.

So, since this is just a theory that these 2 doctors have put forth

DEBS – a unification theory for dry eye and blepharitis

are you aware of any studies preformed, or currently underway to prove the theory is correct?

Comment

There is no proof of the theory but I have noticed that the lid cleaners wich contain substances that penetrate biofilm have a greet success in this forum.
      I noticed that tea tree oil, honey and HOCI have a greet result in this forum, and the three penetrate biofilm
      for exemple see :

http://roberttisserand.com/2012/10/t...e-oil-biofilm/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3970805/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4964533/

So i think it's very plausible.

Blephex also attacks the biofilm as told in the study DEBS.

Comment

Interesting theory. Does make some sense doesn't it. What I don't understand is how 95% of the population can make it to 90 without dry eye if this was a huge part of the problem because only 5% would make it to 90 with all their teeth and minimal gum disease if they didn't get them cleaned regularly. They draw the analogy between getting this debridement to getting your teeth cleaned. (of course I pulled these numbers out of a hat but you get my drift.)

Probably warrants more study.

Comment

I think it's too simplistic to chalk up all causes of DES to a compromised biofilm; sure, it could be one of the etiologies, but there are others like autoimmune (Sjogrens), trauma (photokeratitis, LASIK, radiation), toxic reactions (SJS, TEM, etc) and hundreds of other reasons depending on the person. I'm sure some of it is genetic, too. Some demographics like Asians have higher rates of MGD because they simply don't have that many glands to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
            Interesting theory. Does make some sense doesn't it. What I don't understand is how 95% of the population can make it to 90 without dry eye if this was a huge part of the problem because only 5% would make it to 90 with all their teeth and minimal gum disease if they didn't get them cleaned regularly. They draw the analogy between getting this debridement to getting your teeth cleaned. (of course I pulled these numbers out of a hat but you get my drift.)

Probably warrants more study.
            i think the analogy is between the way we try to decrease mechanically the biofilm in teeth and eyelid.

Comment

Originally posted by hosanna13 View Post
              I think it's too simplistic to chalk up all causes of DES to a compromised biofilm; sure, it could be one of the etiologies, but there are others like autoimmune (Sjogrens), trauma (photokeratitis, LASIK, radiation), toxic reactions (SJS, TEM, etc) and hundreds of other reasons depending on the person. I'm sure some of it is genetic, too. Some demographics like Asians have higher rates of MGD because they simply don't have that many glands to begin with.
              of corse it's not the cause of 100% DES but like MGD i think it's about 85%

Comment

"We feel that dry eye should be treated and prevented by early and routine biofilm removal through electromechanical lid margin debridement."

Hmmm, let me guess. Are the two "scientists" who wrote the article paid off by BlephEx?
                "BlephEx™ is a revolutionary new patented hand piece, used to very precisely and carefully, spin a medical grade micro-sponge along the edge of your eyelids"

I would now put this article in the highly suspicious pile. It's not uncommon for big pharma companies to hire/commission/grant "independent research" to back up their own patented technology to make PROFITS$$$.

But a couple of points:

"Bacteria colonize the lid margin within a structure known as a biofilm".

Yeah, I agree with that. Our entire bodies are covered in bacteria. It's what KINDS of bacteria that can cause problems.

How do you get "colonized" with bacteria? From others? Is it contagious? How is it spread? What kind of bacteria are you talking about?
                There are literally 10 million - 1 billion types of bacteria. So it's not a very well explained piece.

My own experience tells me that it is contagious -- that you get it from others.

Read my other posts from my profile for my big long story of living with eye problems for 20 years, and why I think I might have given people eye problems.

I believe DR (or what you call DEBS) has something to do with MRSA or related bacteria which weaker antibiotics don't get rid of.
                I've also used tea tree oil (diluted in baby shampoo) for at least 6 years. I've had no improvement.

When I got an eye infection 20 years ago, I was prescribed two antibiotic eyedrops for the infection. Neither did anything to clear it up. And I was waking up with a crusty eye for a year and a half. When I mention this to doctors, they said "it should have cleared up", but it didn't. So this automatically goes into a grey area of we don't know what it is.
                It was my first eye infection I had ever had. I was in my late 20's. I had the whitest clearest slera (whites of the eyes) before that. No red veins ever. No eye complaints of burning, crusting, etc.
                And after the eye infection, I've just had red irritated veiny greyer eyes ever since. And I believe I've been spreading it to others through direct and indirect touch.

I seriously think that it's probably some bacteria causing the problem. But to get rid of them, you'd need a very strong antibiotic, and those antibiotics are only reserved for serious situations where doctors are hesitant to prescribe them.

I'm reading the article more in depth. Thanks to whoever sent me the link. But, like I said, I'm aware it is VERY BIASED company from a corporation who more than likely commissioned the study in the first place.
                They just want to push an expensive procedure like LipiFlow, and the countless other eye drops/wipes/gels/etc. products to treat symptoms, but doesn't cure it.
                Last edited by wakeupscreaming; 13-Jan-2018, 20:09.

Comment

today, what i think is , MGD cause lack of lacritin, that worsen MGD that lead to eye inflammation and blepharitis and then the cyrcle is closed.

Comment

Working...
                  X