X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who've been diagnosed with ocular rocasea

What are the symtoms exactly.

I've had moderately dry eyes in the past, but over several months, my eyes started to become more red especially in the mornings. Also my eyes became sore / dry in the morning. I would have to put in eye drops immediately after i woke up. cold compresses helped the pain and redness. warm compresses seem to aggravate it.

eyes feel very dry during day..but i have better days and worse days. i asked my opthamologist (who now im convinced doesn't give two sh*ts), if he thinks it could be ocular rocasea...he says "it could be part of it"...but never gave me anything to try to address it or did he really confirm it was the root cause.

for those who have ocular rocasea, what are your symptoms and how are you trating/managing ?

It seems quite common that Ophthalmologists won't actually give an ocular rosacea diagnosis, at least in my experience but I have fairly mild facial rosacea so most have agreed "it could affect the eyes". My symptoms are mainly sore red lids most of the time and meibomian gland dysfunction. My eyes don't get bloodshot but I know some people with ocular rosacea get blood shot eyes do it's a tricky one.

Are you taking Doxycycline? This helps a lot of people with ocular rosacea and MGD. I now take oral Azithromycin as Doxy didn't help me much. I use preservative free Systane Ultra UD throughout the day. Warm compresses aren't great for me as they worsen the rosacea. I take good quality Omega 3 oil daily. I also have aqueous deficiency so my symptoms could be a little different to yours.

Comment

I've been "diagnosed" with ocular rocaea and my symptoms are---dryness in the am and pm especially, sensitivity to light and moving air, redness (worse and better depending on situation) and worse when I'm on the computer. I've been doing a lot better in the past few months and I think it's because of:
      1. Restasis (month 6)
      2. Quit my job in an office and starting my own business with much more flexibility
      3. Juicing and eliminating sugars/dairy/wheat from my diet

But I live in the desert so I'm sure I would be doing so much better if I just moved to Seattle or something.

Comment

My Dr (and past Dr's) have diagnosed my MGD and bleph but won't give me a diagnosis of ocular rosacea either - but I seem to have the symptoms. I also cannot use warm compresses to assist the glands - I was putting on 15 minutes of warm compresses and it made the redness worse and I was yo-yo'ing with antibiotics for pink eye. I have since changed my routine to luke warm water on cotton balls - swipping gently with the cotton balls and not soaking. I will use water soaked q-tips to clean along the lash line (first swipping over then finishing with swipe up under the lashes. Sometimes I will use a cold cotton ball to finish the job! I still get the pink eyes - which can be brought on by: wind with pollens/dust, and then perhaps using too many eye drops. I really shouldn't use any eye drops (and I have tried many many many drops!) Every now and then I will use eye drops to float out an eyelash - it almost always results in pink eye - sometimes clears up in a day - sometimes I have to use antibiotics - like now (heavy sigh). I take fish oil pills (1000 mgs 2x day with food, I can't take more) - don't know if they help out at all - I have been taking them for a year - I may just be contributing $ to the pharmacy!). Also I have given up drinking wine - OK mostly - every now and then I will have a small glass of white wine a copious amount of water. : ( absolutely no red wine - that is just asking for it. Also can't drink beer either. what a bummer!
        Eileen

Comment

Working...
        X