X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ivermectin to treat demodex/posterior blepharitis

Hi all

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried taking Ivermectin to reduce the number of demodex in lashes and glands. There has been studies that shows that it works

http://emedicine.medscape.com/articl...763-medication

Im really convinced my blepharitis is caused by demodex and was going to ask my doctor if they would prescribe them for me but they're used to treat some pretty serious conditions.

Thanks

Cath x
    27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Cath, there is topical ivermectin 1% formulated for rosacea (Soolantra, Galderma) but we haven't tried it. It looks like ophthalmologists have been pretty desperate for solutions before prescribing oral insecticide pubmed/?term=ivermectin+eye+demodex+child. Mostly dermatologists try topical metronidazole, I think. I've read that demodex infection that outweighs the risks of ivermectin shows sore red eyelids and heavy infestation and cornea damage at least, as you're thinking. We're doing OK with the tea tree shampoo eyelid margin scrubs but I'd really like an informed dermatologist to help me with this. And an ophthalmologist who can recognise demodex.
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 11-Jan-2015, 12:20.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hi Little Mermaid thanks for replying, sorry for the delay in my response. Yes I too would like some help on this, I had the cylindrical dandruff which is evidence of demodex but one opthalmologists said this was sebhorreic blepharitis, its so confusing. I dont understand why ophthalmologists cannot just test for demodex as part of dry eye exam, extracting 4 lashes from each eye and examining them under a microscope, the facilities and treatment available in hospitals is pitiful.

How long have you been doing the tea tree shampoo scrubs for? Ive been using tea tree wipes for 3 months and tea tree face wash for 2 months, I can feel an improvement which makes me think demodex has been one of my problems.

Thanks again

Cath

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
      Cath, there is topical ivermectin 1% formulated for rosacea (Soolantra, Galderma) but we haven't tried it. It looks like ophthalmologists have been pretty desperate for solutions before prescribing oral insecticide pubmed/?term=ivermectin+eye+demodex+child. Mostly dermatologists try topical metronidazole, I think. I've read that demodex infection that outweighs the risks of ivermectin shows sore red eyelids and heavy infestation and cornea damage at least, as you're thinking. We're doing OK with the tea tree shampoo eyelid margin scrubs but I'd really like an informed dermatologist to help me with this. And an ophthalmologist who can recognise demodex.
      27, pinguecula, dry eye, Wirral, UK

Comment

my eye doctor had 1% ivermectin lotion compounded for me. he told me to apply it around my lid margins. he's written several articles about demodex and somewhat specializes in it so you are likely right that it would be useful. i'm not sure why he uses a cream instead of a pill. i ended up never using it because i concluded that even though i have demodex, it was not causing my problems.

Comment

I have very obvious ocular rosacea. My eyes are red most of the time. In times of even the least stress, heat, trigger foods, I look like Darth Maul. My eye doctor told me about Soolantra (topical ivermectin), but said it was very expensive and insurance wouldn't cover it. (She was correct.) She also said she's had several patients who saw dramatic improvement from using the oral Ivermectin (very cheap) at a dose of 1 pill per week for 3 weeks. It's a really old medication for scabies. After take a course of it, there is noticeable improvement in the redness for about 6 weeks. I've taken 3 different courses over the last year and a half and found the same thing. It's correlational and everything else in my life changes at all times, but I think this simple treatment does help. No side effects for me and it costs $5. I'm going to pursue metro gel and doxycycline next. Also, a facial/eyelid cleanser called Briotech (.02% HOCL) also helps a little. I think Ocusoft HOCL is similar.

Comment

Working...
          X