Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to bleph...please help!

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with blepharitis by an ophthalmologist just a few days ago. I didn't have any of the symptoms for my entire life until the day after my visit to the doctors (coincidence?). Since then, my eyes have been itchy and the inside of my eyelids are quite red. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn't open my right eye very well so I went to the washroom and did a warm compress and cleansed the lids. I repeated this this morning when I woke up, again with crusty stuck-together eyelids. I pulled down my lower eyelids and looked for signs of the meibomian glands and I think they are inflammed in the outer coners of my lower eyelids where it hurts a bit. It's just so strange that this is happening all of a sudden so I have a few questions that I was unable to ask the opthalmologist:

Can a viral conjunctivitis trigger or cause blepharitis? About a month ago I had viral pink eye which cleared a week ago. A few days later, the symptoms of bleph began.

I read somewhere that bleph, the dysfunctional meibomian glands variety, doesn't occur often in young people. I'm only 24 and the average age range was 45. Is it still possible for this to happen in someone like myself? And, what will happen to me in the future? My doctor told me that it's only gonna get worse with age and that is so depressing! Will I lose my eyelashes?

What are the causes of MGD bleph? Any genetic or environmental triggers?

What can I do to prevent flare-ups, besides the warm compress and cleansing daily?

Am I more susceptible to infections during flare-ups? And, if I do have an infection during this time, how can I tell the difference between a flare-up and an infection? They both cause my eyes to be extremely itchy and red with crusty eyelids in the morning. Should I be on antibiotics? And if so, does this mean that every time I have a flare-up I need to be prescribed antibiotics?

Is this condition easily manageable as long as I do the warm compress and cleanse every day?

Okay, these are all of the questions I can think of right now. Any help would be appreciated since my doctor was pretty much useless (I don't mean to be mean but he was so rude to me!).

Thanks!

Kuby,
    I am with you ,seems improbable to me . But most Dr's will insist the only problem is lid hygiene. Your story sounds like what I went through. Look at my post from a couple of days ago under success stories . I had a new Dr, ( # 6 or 7) prescribe azasite. It is a new usage for this drug, but I finally feel better. Hurrah!!
    This remindes me, time for my miracle drops.

Let me know what happens,

Comment

Working...
    X