uncontrollable bleph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uncontrollable bleph

I was diagnosed with a viral eye infection (no culture done) by an ophthalmologist about a month ago. The infection cleared but after a week of no symptoms, my eyes began to itch and were red and burning. I went to a different doctor who diagnosed me with MGD blepharitis. Since then, I have had 3 flare-ups, where I wake up in the morning with crusty, itchy, red, and burning eyes/eyelids. I do the warm compress and wiping the lids with q-tip and rinsing with saline afterwards. After a few days of the initial flare-up, it subsides but it keeps recurring!

I have never had these symptoms prior to the viral infection and the fact that I have had 3 flare-ups within such a short time-frame really worries me. I continue with the warm compresses, etc. but they're not really helping since it keeps happening over and over again. It seems to me like maybe this is more serious than simple malfunctioning of the glands..

So, my question is: could my MGD have been caused by the virus? Why are the symptoms recurring so often? Should I see an ophthalmologist (I don't really have access to one right now since I'm out of my province but if I have to I'll try...)

Any insight is appreciated.

I am dealing with a bad case too. I am sorry I don't have much to offer. Have you ask for any antibiotic?Bleph is chronic so you will I guess have flare ups but can become managable. Are you wearing contacts? I am wondering if it flares it up with them?Also I find the steri lid foam better then the q tip with baby shampoo. Do you use preservative free drops cause that may help but for me the ones with preservatives are hard on my eyes.Hang in there

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement, Gina. No, I haven't worn my contacts since all of this started, except once when I absolutely had to, and yes, the very next day I had another flare up. But even when I don't wear contacts, I keep having these awful flare ups. Does this happen to you too? Is it common to have recurrences so frequently until it becomes more manageable? Also, I used to use the scrubs (they were from Novartis) but they were too irritating so now I just do the warm compress then wipe my lids with a q-tip soaked in saline. The saline is not unpreserved, but they don't seem to bother me. I will however try out the unpreserved ones once I run out of this bottle.

Comment

I can say for myself Azasite worked wonders for my blepharitis.
        I am so happy after two years of constant pain, I am actually pain free.
        It does not work for everyone, but I tried everything else, and this finally did the trick. You may want to ask your Dr. This is new, so he may not know about it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kuby View Post
          So, my question is: could my MGD have been caused by the virus? Why are the symptoms recurring so often? Should I see an ophthalmologist
          Any infectious or inflammatory event on the ocular surface has the potential to cause a lid margin disease.

The symptoms may be recurring so often because the condition is not resolving optimally and may actually be worsening.

One might schedule a follow up with the doctor who diagnosed the MGD. Discuss with him your dissatisfaction with the current treatment plan's inadequacies. I personally would like the lid margin disease to be managed in the most effective way possible and would inquire if a prescription drug(s) is an add on option. As you have read previously, Azasite is a relatively new drug that has shown some pretty good results in resolving lid margin disease.

Comment

Working...
          X