Good eyelid scrub for Ocular Rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good eyelid scrub for Ocular Rosacea

I've been using Sterilid and a tea tree oil based facewash from Trader Joe's for the past couple of months, and my eyelids have been puffier than they ever have. I have since switched to Cetafil, but I was just wondering what other people have used with success.

And to this point, isn't the goal of cleaning the eyelids in the case of Rosacea to remove oil rather than kill bacteria? So is using products like Sterild and Ocusoft Plus is a bit of a waste of money? I've tried to do some internet research on this, but there's not much out there.

A lot of people just use baby shampoo. I have recently been washing my face with white dial soap. Someone on here recommended it.
    I wouldn't try eye scrubs with it , it stings, but then so does steri-lid.
    I just close my eyes tightly, foam it up ,and rub my fingers over my face and lids quickly.

Comment

MFlores, Rosacea doesn't have anything to do with oil. Anti-Inflammatories are for rosacea. And you don't do the scrubs for the rosacea, you're correct on that point. Scrubs are more for MGD and Bleph.

Comment

Actually, most sufferers of ocular rosacea do in fact have MGD as the increased vascularity of the eyelids releases inflammatory mediators that disrupt the meibomian glands. Sorry-that was a run-on sentence! Anyway, that is one prominent theory. Others link Demodex mites and/or bacteria proliferation on/in the eyelids to the glandular dysfunction. Dr. Holly has even said that excessive skin oil that finds its way into the tear film can cause irritation. So it seems to make sense to me to keep one's eyelids clean. Certainly not a cure-but likely to help at least a little. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Eli,
          That seems to make sense to me. Also it fits with my experience personally.

Did you ever try azasite? I will not claim total cure for my Blepharitis and MGD, but nothing else has come anywhere near the relief I have gotten from it.

Comment

I have not, but am absolutely considering it. I am seeing Dr. Latkany next week and will ask him about it then. I'm so glad you've found some relief! I actually saw a blurb in Optometric Management (I signed up for free) this month about using AzaSite to help manage lid disease. The company that makes the drug is also testing a version with a steroid for hopefully even better efficacy. Heres to hoping!

Comment

I Love This Site!!!

Thanks Eli, I read somewhere a long time ago about the link between rosacea and blepharitis (as you described), but I wasn't completely sure I had it correct. I have been searching for that info for weeks now on the net, it's amazing how many sites have incomplete information.

I guess it's back to Sterilid, I think the puffiness is due to a new pillow I was using that is extra firm. I sleep on my stomach and my eyes rub against the pillow all night. And trust me, if I could sleep on my back, I would.

By the way Mr. Eli, what eyelid scrub/cleaner do YOU use?

Comment

I tried SteriLid for a while and then all of a sudden it got irritating to the skin around my eyelids. I switched to Occusoft's original formula-seems to be much gentler. I'm not expecting any miracles here-just figure good hygiene couldn't hurt.

Comment

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Comment

I have found great relief from my MGD using chloaramphenicol(antibiotic ) eye ointment to the lid margins/+ outer lids at night following eyelid hygiene
                    It is about the only antibiotic ointment available to us in UK I understand it is not readily available in USA - yet it is a non- perscription drug here ??? Any of you ophthalmos can you explain why

Comment

Originally posted by mflores22 View Post
                      I've been using Sterilid and a tea tree oil based facewash from Trader Joe's for the past couple of months, and my eyelids have been puffier than they ever have. I have since switched to Cetafil, but I was just wondering what other people have used with success.

And to this point, isn't the goal of cleaning the eyelids in the case of Rosacea to remove oil rather than kill bacteria? So is using products like Sterild and Ocusoft Plus is a bit of a waste of money? I've tried to do some internet research on this, but there's not much out there.
                      Rosacea's exact etiology is still not known. A leading theory is a demodex infestation. Rosacea can lead to an ocluar environment that promotes bacterial reproduction and keeping bacterial colonization under control is always a concern.

Tea tree oil is thought to be therapeutic for reducing the demodex. The bacteriostatic properties of the lid cleansers can help with controlling bacteria. Removing the oil through hot compress and gland expression serves to improve meibomian gland function.

Comment

Working...
                      X