posterior blepharitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• posterior blepharitis

I am somewhat confused on what this exactly is. I have read from some sources it is "blepharitis of the inner eyelid- the part that makes contact with eye". Then other places I read that it is a dysfunction of the oil glands. Can these two things be seperate? Or does one always cause the other. I am going to get some picture on here of my eyelids, because I dont have any oil problems (i dont think) but my inner eyelids are extremely red and swollen

Posterior Blepharitis is MGD and if you saw white specs from the glands near the eyelid, this is oil that is clogged.

Comment

ok, thanks for the clariffication. Is it possible that the glands arn't totally clogged but the oil isn't coming out the way it should?

Comment

Posterior blepharitis is something I wonder if I have, and a possible cause or related problem to my MG's getting blocked. My margins themselves are pink (and have never been red), but my inner lower eyelids are pretty red. It has been suggested though that this normal and everyone's are?

Comment

jig, totally relate you you. MY margins at pink too, but my inner eyelids are red. Have you taken a look uder your upper eyelids? Mine are particularaly red underneath just before the eyelids margin, and had spots where it looks like bunch of red blood vessels- this is where it is most painful. I read somewhere tha poserior bleharitis effects the inner eyelid- part that touches eye. I would agree I definitly have something wrong with my inner eyelids, but I dont think I have MGD. I know for fact none of the glands are clogged. I was thiking perhaps the lipid oil isnt coming out in its correct form. Im really not sure. Are your upper eyelids puffy? Feel free to pop me a pm

Comment

Right here is a definition I found of it:

What are the types of blepharitis?
            To better understand this condition, think of the eyelid as being composed of two layers, one in front of the other. Each of these layers contains unique structures whose function may be affected by blepharitis.

Anterior blepharitis is related to inflammation of the front layer of the eyelid. The symptoms usually are limited to ocular itching, burning and irritation. Although there are many possible causes of anterior blepharitis, it is most often related to bacterial infection or seborrheic dermatitis, a chronic inflammatory skin condition.

Seborrheic dermatitis is a common problem affecting the scalp, eyebrows, face and eyelids in two-thirds of anterior blepharitis patients. It is the most common cause of blepharitis. This condition leads to oily secretions, eyelid swelling, scaling and flaking produce ocular itching and burning that can be severe. Both layers of the eyelid may be affected.

Posterior blepharitis occurs when the small (meibomian) glands in the inner layer of the eyelid either become inflamed or secrete an excessive quantity of their normal product. These glands produce an oily substance, an important part of the normal tear film that bathes the surface of the eye. Overproduction of this substance can produce a bothersome burning sensation of the eyes, although the eyelids may remain normal in appearance. In contrast, patients suffering from gland inflammation may also complain of a burning sensation as well as tearing, itching, irritation, sensitivity to light and crusting upon awakening in the morning. In these patients, the eyelid margin may appear red and swollen. The cause of gland inflammation is unknown, but bacterial infection or plugging of the glands by abnormally thick secretions is thought to play a role.

hope this helps,

rhad

Comment

If you see white specs then this would indicate that the oil is thick and obstructed and giving you and abnormal tear film.

Comment

just out of curiosity, how is seborrheic dermatitis treated?

Comment

Working...
                X