inner lid colour - posterior blepharits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inner lid colour - posterior blepharits

Following my optician's observation that my MG were blocked, I've been looking in to possible causes. One is posterior blepharits, and I'll hopefully get the definitively ruled in or out if I ever get to see an ophthalmologist who knows more than their name (too harsh?).

Now, as far as I can see, my eyelid margins themselves are fine and pink. However if I look at my inner eyelids (especially the lower), then they seem pretty red. I'd like to know what "normal" inner eyelids are supposed to look like. Same colour as the margin? Slightly redder?

Rather than wait probable months to get to see someone, I wondered if it might make sense to try anything that's OTC which treats posterior blepharits for a week, fortnight, month (or whatever is a sensible time period) and see if there's any improvement. Wrong way to diagnose things sure, but seems diagnostically useful. What could I try?

Others can correct me if i'm wrong, but if your MGs are blocked, then you probably have meibomian gland dysfunction, which is another name for posterior blepharitis. One thing you can try, and even people who do not have dry eyes should do, is warm compresses followed by an eyelid massage everyday to get your oils flowing again. Dr. L's eye spa therapy is a good way to start.

As for the colors of eye lid margins and inner eyelid, I have no clue. I am wondering that myself.

Comment

I'm not sure that MGD is posterior blepharitis (although I have seen that said before). I thought there was often a relationship, and perhaps posterior blepharitis often causes MGD, but that MGD had different causes etc.

Or am I completely wrong In terms of inner eyelid colour, it's hard to know exactly what colour they are supposed to be. I'll try and get someone to look, but of course if they say it's all fine, you don't really know they know what they are talking about unless you've been lucky enough to see a clued up person!

Comment

I've posted pics of my inner eyelids in a different thread: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...2008#post32008

Hopefully I'm not breaking some huge rule here - just keen to link these two for continuity.

Comment

Some clarification needed I think !

Blepharitis - according to a medical dictionary is inflamation of the eyelids. "itis "always means inflamation, and the "blephar" bit refers to the eyelids
          Meibomian gland disfunction is exactly what it says - dysfunction of the meibomian glands - the dysfunction is mostly due to inflamation ,causing blockage of the ducts caused by thickening of the meibum (oil) the glands produce (hense the need to warm the oil and massage to get it flowing again The glands can also become infected and if chronically untreated stop producing oil altogether (or some glands can) we have approx 50 of these glands for each eye - both top and bottom lids The glands are inside the eye lids Also some glands can become blocked and still produce oil and then you get a cyst in your eyelid -a chalazion (I had one of those)
          So MGD is a part of posterier blepharitis or a result of posterier blepharitis (anterier blepharitis as i understand it ,is a less serious condition affecting the lid margins and eye lids - causing crusting and dandruff like symptoms often found in the elderly who cant care for themselves properly)
          Anyway my point is -- anyone who has posterier blepharitis with MGD is bound to have red inner eyelids as all inflamation causes redness Therefore if your inner eyelids look red and abnormal it is to be expected- so i would'nt get too hung up on the colour of your inner eyelids
          How they feel is more important to your comfort
          Sorry for the "lecture " I'm just thinking out loud as it were and trying to reason it out
          I AM OPEN TO CORRECTION

Comment

Hi Stella

Couple of points:

- I think MGD can be a result of posterior bleph, but doesn't have to be. Mebium can become too thick for example.

- wikipedia says "There are approximately 50 glands on the upper eyelids and 25 glands on the lower eyelids."

- It's a shame lot's of Internet resources say slightly (or significantly sometimes) different things about DES subjects. It's just confusing when sources say different things.

In terms of why I'm focusing on my eyelid colour - it's really because I'm trying to make further progress in understanding what my problems are, so I get treatment. No one has ever said I have posterior bleph, and indeed I'm not trying treatments that could help. Again it's bad I need to diagnose myself, but if the consensus is that the colour of my inner eyelids is not normal, it's something I can raise with my GP, optometrist etc.

It's good that this community has expertise that can help fellow sufferers - and help them pursue paths that the medical experts don't see.

Comment

Hi Jig- uk
              I totally understand - In UK you will have to help yourself as there are virtually no alternatives .I researched and researched There were times i was scared trying new things but i reackoned i was on my own and i have now managed to get mine under control.
              I think i was fortunate in that mine seemed to be a straightforward case of posterier Bleph with blocked glands causing evaporative DE(my diagnosis )Although my optician agrees.
              Once i got the blepharitis under control(steaming /squeezing BOTH sides of eyelids and using antibiotic (chloramphenicol) ointment at night to the lid margins ,all my horrible symptoms gradually went
              I do so hope you find what is right for you.

Comment

Working...
              X