No announcement yet.

Meibomian gland dropout/atrophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, i Have non-inflammatory mgd and it seems like my mg's arent producing, or they are VERY clogged up.

Is there a way to determine whether or not the glands are atrohpied or jusst clogged?
    Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

With meibography (transillumination of the meibomian glands) an opthalmologist can tell the difference.

Comment

This issue of partial dropout as we age or due to external factors (i.e. LASIK) is especially interesting, in light of the resistance some really good eye docs have to newer procedures, like intraductal probing.

The main comment I hear from docs who don't advise the procedure is that it comes with a risk of scarring - a legit fear, indeed. But it also begs the question, if you happen to "scar" or otherwise damage 2 or 3 glands, is that a fair trade-off if you unclog or somehow open 4 or 5?

R.

Comment

According to two of the top German dry experts, both gland atrophy and gland dropout are reversible.

One of them told me that meibomian glands are [some technical term I forgot] glands and are therefore capable of renewing themselves.

This makes sense to me as I have frequently read about people who experienced strong symptomatic relieve after years of suffering.

The one expert above also told me he has patients who have the disease for 20+ years and are doing equally well or better than let's say 15 years ago (due to advances in treatment).

Comment

Thanks for the input, WetEyes -- keeps me optimistic that I (and everyone here) can get to a better place.

Comment

Working...
            X