Ocular Rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocular Rosacea

I saw Dr. Latkany the other day and I asked him some questions that have been puzzling a number of us on here lately regarding rosacea. It's very difficult to find much info online regarding ocular rosacea - it always ends up being an explanation of facial rosacea.
    According to Dr. L:
    1. EVERYONE who has facial rosacea has ocular rosacea. Just some people have a higher level of inflamation
    2. Ocular rosacea is an inflamation of the eyelids as well as the eyeballs.
    3. Ocular rosacea doesn't directly cause dry eyes. It does, however, directly cause MGD. MGD causes dry eyes.
    4. There is no cure for rosacea. Our intent should be to get it under control.
    5. Doing your best to prevent flare-ups of facial rosacea should help keep ocular flare-ups under control, too.
    6. Hot compresses are not good for rosacea. Warm is OK but the best option is to let the water in the shower hit your face and do the lid massages (expressing the oil glands) right after your shower.
    7. Cold compresses are fine as often as you need them. Not ice cold. Just cold. Ice cold can aggravate rosacea, too.

More than this I can't tell you. I'm suffering from both facial and ocular rosacea problems currently. Just wanted to pass along the answers I got.

I just back from a new Dermatologist,
    He suggested a milk , water , ice , mixture for compresses.
    He is supposed to be one of the best, my current Dermatologist referred me to him.
    I am giving it a try, I'll let you know if it helps my rosacea.

Comment

Hi Sky!
      Did he say why milk? Also, did he say if there is any particular ratio of milk to water and ice in that mixture?
      Thanks!

Comment

Hi,
        He said the milk was an astringent. The ratio was equal parts.
        My entire back is taped with contact allergy patches.
        I can't bathe or sweat for a week. Not a pretty sight for August in Atlanta. Or smell for that matter!

I am trying to rule out any contributing factors for the inflammation on my lids.

The frustrating part of rosacea is the disconnect between the two most important men in my life these days,
        my Opthamologist and Dermatologist.
        I have one disease, but Dr's specialize so much , they only treat half of me at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by skygoddess View Post
          The frustrating part of rosacea is the disconnect between the two most important men in my life these days,
          my Opthamologist and Dermatologist.
          I have one disease, but Dr's specialize so much , they only treat half of me at a time.
          I suppose we need a Dermophthalmologist or a Blephologist?
          Neither phrase gives much on Google
          Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Hey, the most important man in MY life is George Clooney. I don't know why, I just wanted to say that!

Maybe you can suggest to your dermo that he speaks to your eye doc on the phone or vice versa. Some of them will do that (the good ones).

Comment

Right there with you on the patch testing -- just went through it myself this past week in the heat of summer (I feel ya, skygoddess!). Next step is to do the patch testing on my back of all my products (including eyedrops, makeup, etc.). I know from the normal patch testing that I am allergic to cobalt & nickel, but that hasn't helped to explain why I always get red eyeballs when I put in presev-free lubricating drops or Restasis... so need more specific patch testing for that. Personally, I found that for my ocular rosacea, stopping all drops has helped me. Not as much redness (still dry). It is trial and error for each one of us. But, I feel I am on to something with the allergy route (even though I don't have itching).

curly

Comment

I found a product of Occular Rosacea see my post
                http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showp...6&postcount=20

I admit I didn't review and have no idea what that is or does of it's worth trying.

Comment

That thing has been around for a long time and I have long suspected that it's nonsense...and I haven't ordered it.

Comment

Natural Treatments for Facial Rosacea

I found some interesting information on healthline.com regarding facial rosacea and natural treatments. This is not about ocular rosacea, but apparently if we get our facial rosacea under control, it is supposed to help the ocular, too. If any of these treatments work on our facial skin, it would seem to me it would at least work on the external skin of our eyelids, too.

What caught my eye was the cold milk compress...SkyGoddess mentioned that earlier in this thread and I've been doing it for the past 3 days. It definitely is an astringent.

I'm also fascinated by the mention of low levels of stomach acid causing rosacea. I have low stomach acid (have been tested) which caused me tremendous gastric problems over the past 6 months. (GERD). It occurs to me that my eyes have been far worse during the same time than they ever were before. Hmmm! So perhaps supplementing with HCL (hydrochloric acid) (only if you are low in stomach acid) may help the ocular rosacea, which would, in turn help the dry eyes!

That said, please do not just go out and take an HCL supplement!! There are tests that certain alternative doctors can do to find out if you are low/high/normal in stomach acid. And if you take too much or if you don't need it, you can do damage to yourself.

Even though I know I have low stomach acid, at this point with my digestive disorder, I sill can't tolerate taking an uncoated HCL pill -it actually irritates my digestive tract. I may be able to take a coated pill, but I have to wait to get to that point. I mention this to reiterate the point of not just running out and trying HCL supplements without the input of a doctor or an alternative care practitioner.

Here's the info:

Treatment
                    There is no cure for rosacea, but alternative and complementary treatments can be helpful in reducing the skin irritation and number of outbreaks associated with the disease. Green-tinted makeup can mask the redness associated with rosacea. Because rosacea may cause psychological distress, psychotherapy or support groups can be an important component of treatment.

Patients should avoid using skin care products that contain alcohol, witch hazel, peppermint, menthol, eucalyptus oil, or clove oil. Skin care products should be fragrance-free and have a smooth, non-grainy consistency. Men can shave with an electric razor to lessen skin irritation on the face.

Persons who are treated for rosacea with antibiotics over a long period are more prone to yeast infections. Long-term antibiotic use can decrease normal bacteria populations and increase the number of yeast. Eating a yeast-free diet (eliminating breads and other yeast products and sugars) can help to restore normal bacteria to the body.

Identifying food triggers

Certain foods are known to trigger an outbreak of rosacea. Although individual triggers vary, the following foods may aggravate rosacea: hot spices (pepper, paprika, and cayenne), marinated meat, soy sauce, vanilla, vinegar, red plums, peas, lima and navy beans, sharp cheeses, cider, Asian food dishes, canned fish products, processed beef and pork, chocolate, tomatoes, citrus fruit, alcohol, and hot beverages. Nitrates, sulfites, and certain drugs can also trigger outbreaks. Food allergies can also cause rosacea. The three foods that most often cause food allergies are wheat products, sugar, and dairy products.

Rosacea patients should keep a food diary to identify the specific foods that trigger rosacea outbreaks. Outbreaks can occur hours—or as long as a day—after the offending food has been eaten. The patient should stop eating a suspect food for a few months to observe the severity of the rosacea symptoms. If the rosacea improves, the patient can then eat a small amount of the offending food to confirm whether it triggers an outbreak. Once a rosacea trigger food is identified, it can be eliminated from the patient's diet.

Other treatments

Applying liquid-filled cold packs, a washcloth soaked in ice-cold water, or a compress of cold milk and ice-cold water to the neck and face can relieve flushing. Sucking on ice chips can also help relieve flushing. A cold compress of chamomile tea can soothe irritated skin. Applying ice to the face may feel good but it can cause frostbite, which would worsen the reddening.

Some practitioners advocate gentle circular massage for several minutes daily to the nose, cheeks, and fore-head. However, controlled studies on the effectiveness of this technique are lacking.

A deficiency of hydrochloric acid (HCl) in the stomach may be a cause of rosacea, and supplementation with HCl capsules (taken after meals) may bring relief in some cases.

Hypnosis may reduce stress, promote healthful behavior, and control bad habits. Hypnotherapy is especially useful in treating skin disease that can be triggered by emotions, including rosacea. As a complementary therapy, hypnosis has been shown to improve rosacea, especially the flushing component.

Nutritionists recommend eating more dark green vegetables such as kale, broccoli, asparagus, and spinach. These foods, and others that contain high levels of vitamins A and C, bioflavonoids, and beta-carotene, can improve rosacea by increasing capillary strength and boosting the immune system. Apple juice and dark grape juice drunk at room temperature between meals can help persons with rosacea.

A deficiency of B-complex vitamins can lead to rosacea. Vitamin E's antioxidant properties can help prevent skin damage. Zinc can speed wound healing. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid deficiencies can lead to dry, irritated skin, which can worsen rosacea. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in flaxseed oil, cod liver oil, salmon, mackerel, and herring. Omega-6 fatty acid is found in evening primrose oil.

Comment

Curly Girl,
                      How did your second round of patch testing turn out?
                      I was allergic to my genteal gel, never would have guessed that.
                      He said he may do a third round if needed.
                      Where are you located? NYer was looking for a Dr to do testing.
                      I was given a very specific list of allowed products.
                      I have gone broke buying all new products, and my hair care list is very short, but it all seems to be worthwhile

Comment

Poor Sky. Curly could end up with straight hair if she uses your shampoo.

Comment

Curly,
                          Is it natural? Only her hairdresser knows for sure.
                          You guy are all probably to young to remember that one.

Something the nurse said may be of use to you.
                          She said people with nickle allergies need to watch out for mascara .
                          The inside of the tube may have nickel components.

I read in a rosacea brochure the Dr had, and it said people with rosacea often have extreme sensitivity to cosmetics.
                          So it makes sense to me that even a mild allergy to something in use around the eyes could be significant.

Comment

Skygoddess,

Interesting bit from the nurse. Thanks for that!!

Had an allergic reaction the other night to Pond's cold cream -- I'm thinking sensitivity to mineral oil? Might explain why I also reacted poorly to Genteal.

Curlygrl

Comment

I tested positive for
                              Black rubber mix, Ethyl Acrylate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, and fragrance.
                              I think the Cocamidopropyl is in Ponds. It is in most skin care products.

Comment

Working...
                              X