• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video On Blepharitis/MGD

Here is a video on blepharitis MGD,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSF45...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__FGq...eature=related

This is what I got out of it,

- Bacteria is # 1 contributing factor to Blepharitis/MGD which is a inflammatory condition
    - The bacteria mixes with the oil in the glands and turns into the same composition of Soap, hence do not do lid scrubs with baby shampoo(just what this video recommends)
    - The reason why antibiotic drops do not work is because they can not get into the glands
    - The only antibiotic drop that can get into the glands is Azasite, but the only thing it does is reduce the bacteria in the glands, and may have a slight anti-inflammatory effect.

I honestly think this is a contributing issue(bacteria) and all the medications we take can not get to the bacteria to kill it off, nor is it the right medication to kill the bacteria. I think based on the video anyone using Azasite should do warm compresses first and then drop Azasite. I want to try this but live in Canada. Azasite may even lack some of what is needed to completely kill the harmful bacteria in the glands as I know it has helped some on this site, but not cured them. Anyone have any feedback?
    Last edited by Plat; 14-Sep-2008, 15:47.

plat, that is a great video, from what I understand, their is bacteria that colonize your glands, deep inside the gland? this is the question, what can we use to kill this bacteria, without harming your eye? I was wondering if lemon juice could be used in a product, from what i have read it is very antimicrobial.

rhad

Comment

That is a very useful video. I'd say that I fit into the MGD they describe but I dont have "obvious blocked glands"- I wonder if they can be blocked with out obvious signs. Anyway, the "soapy" description though is the perfect way to describe the way it feels and the video is saying that is the meiombian oil mixed with bacteria. I have a call in to my eye doc- I think this "bacteria" description is on to something and I want Azasite!

Comment

thanks so much for posting this, very very interesting! Particularly that he says not to be afraid of a bit of pressure.
        just keep swimming...

Comment

Great video Plat
          It confirms exactly my experience ,and explains why an antibiotic ointment to the lid margins (applied like mascara with a q tip) works so well for me
          Obviously drops do not get into blocked ducts - so the trick is to unblock then allow ointment to seep into the glands and reduce the bacterial load
          My only fear now is that the bacteria will become immune to the antibiotic ointment i have been using for 9 months now
          From that video it looks like baby shampoo is out
          Does occusoft contain soap ? and would that be a good alternative to baby shampoo to reduce bacterial load on the eyelid margins?

Comment

Originally posted by stella View Post
            Does occusoft contain soap ? and would that be a good alternative to baby shampoo to reduce bacterial load on the eyelid margins?
            My understanding is that the PLUS version of ocusoft is antibacterial. I have had some anecdotal reports from people who have found good success using Ocusoft PLUS regularly to keep bleph under control. One of the most recent ones I spoke with described using the PLUS pads (not foam) to wipe the lid margins each day.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Interesting about Occusoft, I do feel like you need 'something' - sterile water doesn't seem to be enough. I just got hold of something called Blephasol (pres free) which I'm going to try at some point - it says it removes make-up which I thought was a bonus...
              just keep swimming...

Comment

Thanks for the great video. Definitely learned more about MGD and how the glands work. I was surprised to see the cutip inside the eye lid to express the glands! Like he said it seems extremet but necessary sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                X