Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent gland function but still contact lens intolerance

Hi All,

I saw Dr. Latkany a few months ago. He told me that I have MGD/DES as I expected. He also said that on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, my gland functions were a 3. Dr. L said contacts shouldn't be a problem.

I am still unable to were contacts at all. I have stopped wearing them for about two years now. I try to wear them once every two months when I get my haircut. I leave them in for about an hour. My eyes are sore for days after this. Anyone with the same experience. Thanks!

I have MGD too but on my last Doctors appointment i was told that they were improving and oil was coming out. Even though i do wear contacts now for occasions i do still suffer when i take them out esp my left eye - and i also get headaches afterwards aswell - don't know if this is contact lense related or not.

Comment

What brand of contacts do you wear? I was wondering because I just stopped wearing contacts last year, but before that I was down to about 2 choices---all the others wouldn't work. The silicon hydrogel type didn't work for me at all, and I was unable to wear any lens that had less than 50% water. The higher water content lenses were comfortable enough, but got dirty really quickly (less than 2 weeks). The contamination also caused my eyes to go into "reactive" mode with more mucous, irritation, etc. My eyes were really raw and dry after I took out the lenses at the end of the day.

C

Comment

I wear Acuvue Moist. Would like to try the silicone hydrogel.

Comment

I've think I have Durasoft 2 toric lens. I'm 44 and started wearing lens when I was 16. Never any problems. Then two years ago, I can't wear lenses anymore. Did anyone else have such a quick reaction to contacts and dry eyes?
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by icenet View Post
            I've think I have Durasoft 2 toric lens. I'm 44 and started wearing lens when I was 16. Never any problems. Then two years ago, I can't wear lenses anymore. Did anyone else have such a quick reaction to contacts and dry eyes?
            Thanks.
            My contact lens intolerance hit in my mid 40s. Now that I think back, I have always had some dryness, needing re-wetting drops frequently and highly sensitive to wind, dust and smoke-filled rooms. I think when I hit my mid 40s, with perimenopause, that was just enough to push me over the edge into contact lens intolerance. Think back and you may find that you have not been entirely comfortable for some time, you just accepted it thinking it was normal.
            Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

is he treating ur glands?

think u need 100% gland function to wear them...
              Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Originally posted by icenet View Post
                Hi All,

I saw Dr. Latkany a few months ago. He told me that I have MGD/DES as I expected. He also said that on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the worst, my gland functions were a 3. Dr. L said contacts shouldn't be a problem.

I am still unable to were contacts at all. I have stopped wearing them for about two years now. I try to wear them once every two months when I get my haircut. I leave them in for about an hour. My eyes are sore for days after this. Anyone with the same experience. Thanks!
                What is he telling you do to improve your glands? Expression? Any prescriptions?

My glands are not doing to well, I have a TBUT of 3 seconds and I am researching like a mad man. I can barely even sleep at night.
                Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

I found that all soft lenses are a problem for me - they dry out on my eyes and give me poor vision. I now wear RGPs, which have better oxygen permeability and give fabulous vision. They also mostly correct my LASIK-induced night vision problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X