Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I quit anti-histaminics, dre eye should improve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I quit anti-histaminics, dre eye should improve?

Firstly, hello to everybody

After a couple of years these last days I have found an explication to my dry eye problem (I think, just today I have completed the hypothesis but it sounds good).

Well, this is my hypothesis: Two years ago I had Roaccutane (or Accutane) for acne. This drug (that I do not recommend) affected my Meibomian glands. These glands stopped functioning so my tear evaporates quickly and my eyes get irritated.

But what I have done all this time is like throwing gasoline into the fire. I have had been using Mirus which an antihistaminic (anti-alergenic) that also reduces inflamtion when eyes are irritated. The thing is that 4-5 days ago an oculist gave me oral Loratadine because she said that I had some allergy. Well, I started having Loratadine and since Saturday my eyes have beeb constantly red and irritated. So, I thought "it must be the Loratdine (anti-histaminic)" and in fact I found on the web several studies that confirm that antihistamincs worsens dry eyes. And then I realise that I have been using Mirus (antihistaminic) all this time.

Yesterday I had Loratadine and I used Mirus today. I`m quiting both of them right today and hoping to improve my condition (I started taking omega 3 krill, I took it a year and a half ago and in 10 days improved my condition amazingly and then I don`t know why I stopped taking it).

If all my hypothesis is right.....My question is....are the effects of the anti-histaminics permanent or do you think that by quitting antihistamincs my eyes will slowly recover or at least improve?

Thanks

I dont believe that it is permanantly drying, once its out of your system the drying will probably cease. I have the same problem, I have allergies however, I can not take any antihistamines. When its unbearable I take Singulair, which is a different class of allergy treatment-ok'd by my eye dr. Sometimes I use nasal inhalers which are non drying as well. Just another aspect of my life affected by laser surgery and DES..sigh. Hope it improves for ya.

Comment

Thanks for your response Jen...
      yes, I think that it would be logic that once stopped, the drying will cease. I was on it for only 4 days. I hope it`ll be like that.

Comment

Working...
      X