Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryer at night, why?

Hi

Why is it that eyes become dryer at night? This has always puzzled me as there is less blinking going on so you would think the eyes would be less red.

Can anybody advise please?

Originally posted by lollipop View Post
    Hi

Why is it that eyes become dryer at night? This has always puzzled me as there is less blinking going on so you would think the eyes would be less red.

I have the same problem while sleeping. Is this what you mean? Or do you just mean at night in general.

If it is while sleeping I have lagopthalmos (my eyelids do not stay shut while I am sleeping) therefore the tear film can evaporate during the night and cause worse dry eyes than during the day.

Comment

The body naturally reduces tear production at night. When eyes are dry to begin with, this makes for an uncomfortable night and morning.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Becuase your dry eyes are caused by an allergic reaction to the dust mites that live in your mattress, pillow, and bedding.

Read my comprehensive guide, which I'm going to post shortly...

Originally posted by lollipop View Post
        Hi

Comment

If my eyes are closed even for an hour it takes a very long time to rewet. Also I have heard things like watching tv you blink less. Possibly just from strain from the day. First thing in the morning is hard and night

Comment

GinaJ--

Me, too. Even if I take a nap, I have to put gel in my eyes--they just go bone dry as soon as I fall asleep.

Calli

Comment

I'd say the evenings are worse if you have heating on. I also find electric lights make my eyes worse.

Originally posted by advocate View Post
              Becuase your dry eyes are caused by an allergic reaction to the dust mites that live in your mattress, pillow, and bedding.

Read my comprehensive guide, which I'm going to post shortly...
              Did you post this? Only I suffer from dust mites and am now wondering if they are causing my eye problems. (My house has no rooms without carpets which I am sure the mites love.)

Comment

Hey! I learned something!

I just learned something! In a 2007 article in Review of Optometry that discusses Recurrent Corneal Erosions, I discovered that both dry eyes at night while sleeping and upon waking in the morning with drier eyes can be explained thusly:

"A small degree of corneal edema is typical in about 4% of the normal population.1 This can be explained largely by two physiological events. First, the active transport pump mechanism of the endothelium slows during sleep, reducing its impact on maintaining corneal deturgescence.

Second, eye closure during sleep retards evaporation of the pre-ocular tear film; this can exacerbate the problem. This effectively decreases tear film osmolarity, diminishing the osmotic effect on the semi-permeable epithelium."

I think that the above in red is why Dwelle helps so many of us to get through the night.

Comment

Liz,

That was very interesting. I started sticking this summer on the area where I have the scar from the cyst aspiration. I can't wait to get this dwelle and see how it works for me.

Thanks for posting,
                  Melissa
                  pianolady

Comment

eye closure during sleep retards evaporation of the pre-ocular tear film; this can exacerbate the problem[/COLOR][/B]. This effectively decreases tear film osmolarity, diminishing the osmotic effect on the semi-permeable epithelium."

What does "pre-ocular tear film" mean?

Comment

Working...
                    X