ocular rosacea and plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocular rosacea and plugs

Does anyone know if plugs are not good with ocular rosacea? I had the plugs put in by my first doctor, who just diagnosed me with the typical dry eye and provided plugs and restasis. I went to a new doc who said I have ocular rosacea and blepharitis. He said some people experience more inflammation with plugs, but he didn't want to remove mine just yet. I am currently taking doxy and azasite. What are other's experiences with plugs and ocular rosacea?

Your story sounds like mine, treated first with plugs and OTC drops, then later diagnosed with ocular rosacea and MGD by another doctor. I'm going to start treating with my 3rd doctor next week. His philosophy is that plugs and drops are adjunct therapy, but the primary focus of treatment is on lid hygiene, omega 3 supplements, doxy and other meds. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say regarding my plugs. At this point they have done nothing for me except create a hassle. I think I would like to have them removed and start over from square one. There is a theory that plugs trap the inflammatory cells in the eye, creating more inflammation and fewer tears. In addition, plugging eyes without addressing the cause of the dryness (unless the cause is pure aqueous deficiency) might very well not help. I'll try and post here again after my appointment next Tuesday.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Please post his opinion. I've made an appt. with my doctor in a couple of weeks to express my concerns.

Comment

Plugs

hi
        Didn't help my Ocular Rosacea. I had lower ones done and then also had my uppers done also. With Ocular Rosacea It's all about the inflammation of the eyelids. So having plugs didn't solve anything in my case.
        Hopefully this Rosadyn thing from Dr Nase will help some people. I won't hold my breath though,, but knowing me I'll probably try it

Regards
        Robbie

Comment

As the inflammation goes down my eyes are more comfortable. The doctor said that plugging the ducts was one component of my treatment, since I have aqueous defieciency as well. I'll keep them in for now and see how things go...I can always get them out later. I was nervous that the plugs were keeping the inflammatory cells in my eye, but as the inflammation goes down with this doxy it has improved.

Comment

Hey guys I had my lower puncta cauterized about 7 years ago, at age 21. I think it was the worst mistake for me since now it seems that it's trapping irritants in my eye and not letting them drain normally causing mainly night time inflammation and mucus buildup. At the time the doctor's decision was based on the fact that I had to wear hard lenses for KC for the rest of my life. Also the temp plugs kept falling out. Recently I had my uppers temporarily plugged so all 4 were shut and things got worse. So it wouldn't surprise me one bit that plugs can make your condition worse. I also have severe allergies that I am 6 months into shots for and I think those allergans can't drain causing the inflammation. I can't prove it yet though. I am still thinking I could also have occular rosacea but it seems hard to diagnose.

Comment

Juicer, does this cause itching at your non-plugged tear duct?

Comment

I had my plugs out a few days ago because I just could not endure the itching anymore...and the itching is pretty near gone!! I am convinced that the extra tears just created more inflammation, and the pooled water touching my upper lid corner was just creating aggravation. My eyes are burning more now, but at least that horrible iching is gone!

I've gone back and forth about taking the plugs out because I did see some benefit, but after 6 months it was a good choice.

Comment

Eye irritants that might cause lens intolerance

Hi,

I've been diagnosed by several docs with severe dry eye syndrome, but one doctor thinks it may be as "simple" as allergies and/or rosacea. I wonder if anyone could help me with a list of possible irritant that are not obvious so I can get tested.

Karen
                  McLean, VA

Comment

Working...
                  X