Is this solidified MG secretion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this solidified MG secretion?

This appeared yesterday and stuck there for something like 24 hours. I showered in hot water, directing the shower at the eye. I washed my face in warm water numerous times, I used a hot compress at 40 degrees C (+/- 2) which made my vision blurry (suggesting that, perhaps the oil got expressed) but the thing didn't budge until now. I've had dry eyes for a long time (not sure how long, but at least a year) but this is the first time this happened. Does this look like solidified MG secretion?

Sorry if you mind the big image, I wanted you to have some context so you could tell how big this thing was.

Normally the expression is opaque and consistency of toothpaste when considered bad. Clear expression is considered good. But that appears from the photo to be in the right place and highly viscous. Did it rub off or eventually go away on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by indrep View Post
      Normally the expression is opaque and consistency of toothpaste when considered bad. Clear expression is considered good. But that appears from the photo to be in the right place and highly viscous. Did it rub off or eventually go away on its own?
      Thanks for your response, inderp!

Yeah it went away, but I don't know how, I just looked at the mirror and suddenly it wasn't there.

It was very viscous. It stuck there rigidly in spite of my pointing the shower at the eye (although, given it's placement, it was protected by the closed lids), splashing water on my face a number of times and applying a warm compress. As I said, it stayed there over night for something close to 24 hours.

Too bad it went away because I wanted to test it with WCs to see at what temperature it would melt away, if it was in fact MG secretion, and it most probably was.
      Last edited by Randolph; 28-Mar-2009, 10:54.

Comment

I get these once in a while. Looks exactly like the photo. It seems like a little blister. I have managed to "open" one and some nice, clear oil drained out and that was it. Wasn't sore or anything afterward. I know, I know, I shouldn't be fiddling with things in my eyes but curiosity got the best of me. Now I just ignore them and they go away after about a day.

I'm still wondering why they form.

Lynda

Comment

Probably won't tell me anything, but what's your diagnosis, Lynda?

Comment

Dry eye" (no specific diagnosis), Meibomian gland dysfunction
            For me, these little bumps don't bother me, other than pique my curiosity. They aren't sore or even red around them. My theory: ahem, it seems like a little tissue has grown over a meibomian gland and it then decides to put out a some oil, which in my case, doesn't happen much. Oil is blocked and tissue expands, but there no infection. When the tissue wears thinner with a little time, and warmth probably helps this along, the secretion breaks through the tissue and that's the end of it. I have very good vision close-up, and I can see a tiny opening after the "thing" is gone, apparently the opening of a gland. But no inflammation.

Lynda

Comment

these little bumps don't bother me, other than pique my curiosity. They aren't sore or even red around them
              Same here.

My theory: ahem, it seems like a little tissue has grown over a meibomian gland and it then decides to put out a some oil, which in my case, doesn't happen much. Oil is blocked and tissue expands, but there no infection. When the tissue wears thinner with a little time, and warmth probably helps this along, the secretion breaks through the tissue and that's the end of it. I have very good vision close-up, and I can see a tiny opening after the "thing" is gone, apparently the opening of a gland. But no inflammation.
              Why do you think tissue has grown over the MG as opposed to it being just a garden variety plugged gland that for some reason throws out it's solidified secretion?

For me it happened when an eyelash fell into my eye and I was poking the lower lid vigorously trying to get it out. I don't know if I pushed it out with my finger but that's the time around which I noticed it so I'd guess I did.

Comment

Just noticed one of these on my lower eyelid appear over the last few hours. Looks pretty much exactly the same as in that picture.

Do you think this is solidified MG secretion? Would help my diagnosis to confirm I do have MGD, and that my warm compresses are helping the situation (if the appearance of one of these bumps is a good thing?)

Comment

Working...
                X