Meibomian Glands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meibomian Glands

856 & 850 Temperature affects meibomian gland secretions. Heat was shown to have a definite impact on secretion thickness or oiliness. The affect was temporary, as in minutes.

860 Meibomian glands in post menopausal women had larger orifices than women in their 20s. Unfortunately the TBUT was not significantly different for either group. Theory is less acinar cells to produce quality lipids.

859 & 861 Partial meibomian gland dropout does not grossly affect lipid secretion. Only 34% of meibomian glands yield secretions throughout the day. 69% of secretion come from the 1/3 of glands closest to the nose, 31% from the central 1/3 and 22% from the temporal glands.

880 Meibomian gland probing was very effective for obstructive MGD.

This is interesting. What is the data source for this? I wonder if it differentiates between gland function of the upper lids vs. the lower, and if it has further detail regarding the gland probing.

Comment

859 Dept of Ophth. Nishijin Hospital, Kyoto, Japan and Dept. of Ophth.,Kyoto Prefectural University of Japan. No financial sponsor

861 CA Blackie, EM Johnson, DR Korb, Kolis Scientific, Boston, MA, Korb Assoc, Boston, MA. Finacial sponsorship

It seems that all Meibomian gland studies were relative to the lower lid.

880 Probing was presented by Steven ******, MD of Dry Eye and Cornea Treatment Center of Tampa, FL. He has patent pending on 25g cannula for the procedure and is experimenting with pharmaceuticals to enhance the procedure.

Comment

very interesting- and closest to the nose secret the most- my left eyelid is the most inflamed and swollen in that corner
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Would it be something the patients take home with them I assume? or no?
          Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

The eye care provider would perform the procedure in the office. I would think the pharmaceutical introduction is increase the time the procedure is effective.

Comment

It sounds like it is just manual expression though right?
              Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Pretty much. He is gooing to probe each duct to "remove" the obstruction or dilate the duct so that secretions can be secreted. I think then a pharmacological agent will be instilled in hopes that it will stop what was causing the obstruction.

Comment

Does he need any volunteers? Where do I sign up?

Comment

"860 Meibomian glands in post menopausal women had larger orifices than women in their 20s"

What does this mean exactly? How does it effect the eyes of post menopausal women?

Comment

Theoretically it would mean more lipids on the eye. The results were that the quality and volume of lipid secreted was low.

Comment

I found the abstract, the device is actually disposable. Hmmm, wonder if he would sell me these! This will have to emerge in the future.

-Tim

Comment

Working...
                        X