Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep

Hi I have been a DES patient for 5 years. My dry eyes are so bad that I quited my computer job last August. My dry eye doctor told me that my dry eyes are caused by rosascea on my face. After I was diagnosed with DES, I started to have problem with sleep. I can only sleep 5-6 hrs every day. This may make my DES get worse. I am thinking about taking some sleep pills. I am wondering if anyone here is having the same problem. Would sleep pill make dry eyes worse?

Thanks,
    Last edited by jazhou; 12-May-2009, 19:10. Reason: change the title

Not sleeping makes dry eyes worse, that is certain.

I think that a lot of us (myself included) have had sleeping difficulties. During my period of severe insomnia, I tried Ambien and Rozerem, and neither of them dried my eyes. I also found that anti-anxiety meds, like Xanax, helped me sleep and did not dry my eyes (although Xanax made my depression worse, and I think you have to be careful with meds like that).

I ended up taking a small dosage of Seroquel (an atypical anti-depressant and "anti-psychotic") every night to help me sleep. It did not dry my eyes, decreased my anxiety (about my eye pain and the fact that I wasn't sleeping), and helped me sleep 8-10 hours/night.

I think it's worth trying to find something to help if you're not sleeping enough. I also read a lot of tips for improving sleep (you know -- going to bed and getting up at the same time every day, no exercise or caffeine at night, etc.).

Teri

Comment

hello

How old are you - I am 49 - and if I sleep a 5-6 hr clip I am very happy and rested -

Older age and anxiety, alcohol, deprive sleep -

I know - believe it or not I actually went 2 weeks with no sleep in 1996 - thats right not 1-2 hrs a night - nothing -

I was put on a regimen to knock me out - trazadone, klonopin and prozac - well it worked - I was a zombie for a while and eventually got back to the norm

Comment

sleep problems

Hi, I have sleeping problems too, which if I don't sleep well my dry eyes are even worse and I have more pain, so I also have anxiety too...and take xanax-I thought it would dry my eyes even more, but it doesn't seem to, and even if I take it in the morning, I'm sleeping by the time I get home and it has helped. Also, mediation, calming music etc. can help.

Comment

opposite

For me it is the opposite. The worse and shorter i sleep the better my condition. Maybe i sleep with my eyes not surely closed or maybe im allergic to something in bed.

Comment

I've never slept very well actually. If I don't sleep well, or wake up well in advance of my alarm (set for 6.30), for example at 4am, then my eyes are better and less stuck when I get up, but, I then suffer for it later in the day and my eyes are far worse accumulatively for having less sleep. All very odd and difficult to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by beachblanketbingo View Post
              How old are you - I am 49 - and if I sleep a 5-6 hr clip I am very happy and rested -

Older age and anxiety, alcohol, deprive sleep -

I know - believe it or not I actually went 2 weeks with no sleep in 1996 - thats right not 1-2 hrs a night - nothing -

I was put on a regimen to knock me out - trazadone, klonopin and prozac - well it worked - I was a zombie for a while and eventually got back to the norm
              I am 38. People at my age should have 8-9 hours sleep, so I am 2-3 hours short. So that may be part of reasons I have dry eyes, I guess.

Comment

I have huge issues with sleep and am on meds. I think make sure to let your doctor know you have eye issues so that they can be aware with prescribing. I know when I fall asleep for an hour I wake up and my eyes hurt so much from being so dry. I have to put in drops and then am awake. I wonder are you on any meds for the rosascea? I aks cause my eye doc thought I had that which I didn't but he said it is key to manage it or your dry eye will have major flares.

Comment

Working...
                X