Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My guide to treatment options for Blepharitis and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction

Guide to Alternative Blepharitis and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction Treatments

Introduction

If you’re like me, you’ve been suffering from Blepharitis and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (“MGD”), seen several doctors, and been unable to find relief. Some of you may be long-time sufferers and some of you may be recent sufferers. I’ve been suffering from Blepharitis/MGD for about five years. I’ve spent a lot of time reading these forums and trying various treatments, and I’ve decided to make a comprehensive list of treatment options, and to ask each of you to consider trying my approach and to report back here on your results. I’ll also include my comments about what worked for me and what didn’t.

At the outset, however, I want to disclose my biases and where I’m coming from. First, I am absolutely convinced that the mainstream medical philosophy on the causes and treatment for Blepharitis and MGD are wrong. I believe this both because the traditional treatment methods did not work for me (and often made my condition worse), and because there are many others who are just like me who are searching for relief. If you’re reading this forum, it is probably because you have not found relief from your doctors.

Second, I am almost certain that my Blepharitis is caused by an allergic or irritant response to something in the air. I reached this conclusion very early on, when I was taking a course of steroids and I found that when I was in certain locations, the steroids would work better than when I was in other locations. My belief was confirmed by the fact that allergy treatments have worked wonders for my condition, while the traditional treatment methods did almost nothing. Today, I am 90% better than I was when I first sought treatment. And I really, really believe that if other people try what I did, some of them can find relief also. I suspect that some of you out there may even be able to help refine my theories further.

About Allergies

Here’s what you need to know about allergies. The air around you is filled with millions of little particles that you cannot see. These particles include mold/fungi spores, dust mites and their fecal matter, pollen, animal dander, skin cells, particulate emissions from automobiles and industry, pollutants like Ozone, and many others. As you walk around, these particles are constantly bombarding your eyes. They are the very reason that we have eyelids, tear films, and a blink mechanism, i.e. so that the accumulation of these particles can be swept away. Some of these fungi/molds actually live in your eye and on your skin, and in your body. Most of the time, they are completely harmless.

These particles can be measured using a particle scanner. If you contact the company that makes the IQAir Perfect 16 while house air cleaner, they’ll be happy to send someone out to your home to measure those particles. They’ll also try to sell you a very expensive air cleaner, which I am not entirely certain is necessary (more on that later). When I tested the air outside my home, I found measurements as high as 2,500,000 particles per unit of measure (I can’t remember what the unit was, but I think it was per cubic foot of air).

Mold/fungi spores, dust mites, pollen, animal dander, etc. are well-known allergens which can provoke an allergic response in certain areas of your body. Ozone, which is a principal component of smog, is a well-known eye, nose, throat and lung irritant. Allergies do not only cause runny nose and sneezing. Rather, you can have allergies that only affect your skin. Also, instead of having a massive allergic response that causes hay fever symptoms, you can have a low level allergic response that keeps your sinuses inflamed. An allergist will tell you that allergies can even cause red eyes and irritated eyelids.

In my case, my lower eyelid is much worse than my upper eyelid. I suspect that is because gravity and the blinking motion of my eye pushes the allergens down, and the allergens build up under my lower eyelid. Those allergens then irritate my Meibomian Glands, causing them to produce a white, cottage cheese like substance instead of the natural oils that I’m supposed to have. These allergens also cause the edge of my eyelids to become inflamed and to appear serrated, and, at times, my eyelashes to fall out.

Unfortunately for me (and most of you), when we have problems with our eyes, we often seek treatment from an ophthalmologist or an optometrist, rather than an allergist. These eye doctors are not trained in allergy like allergists are. Rather, they are trained in diseases of the eyes. As a result, I’ve found that eye doctors are far less likely to “see” allergy than an allergist is. This phenomenon reminds me of the old adage: “When you’re holding a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.” When you see an allergist, every problem looks like allergy. When you see an eye doctor, every problem looks like an eye disease.

Also, many eye doctors discount allergy unless you report itchiness. At least for me itchiness only occurs when I’m right on the border between good and bad. When my eyes start to hurt, the itchiness goes away. Many eye doctors also incorrectly believe that antihistamines will dry your eyes out. They will, at first, but once your glands start working correctly again, your tears will return to normal as well.

Things Your Might Try

Having said all that, here is my comprehensive guide to treatments that I’ve tried, with my comments. Because I’m writing the guide, I’ll start with what has worked for me and finish with what hasn’t worked, but might work for you.

1. Close your windows- The vast majority of sources of allergen (including molds, pollens, etc.) and chemical irritants come from outside your home. When my problems started, I always kept my windows open, because I enjoy fresh air. I had no clue that the polluted southern California air was irritating my eyes. Closing my windows and filtering my air improved my symptoms dramatically, overnight. Now, I open the windows for 15 minutes once every week or so, around midnight, when the levels of outside air pollution are lowest.

2. Clean your environment- This is really the easiest thing to do and was the most effective thing for me, because I am allergic to dust mites and molds. Dust mites and molds are everywhere, but they are also relatively easy to remove by cleaning.

Start by cleaning EVERYTHING where you spend significant time. Clean under, over, behind, and on top of EVERYTHING.

Your Bed- You spend at least 8 hours a day there, and your mattress is filled with dust mites. Strip your bed and wash EVERYTHING on it (pillows, blankets, sheets, duvets, mattress covers, etc.) in hot water once a week. While everything is off your mattress, vacuum it using a HEPA filtered vacuum. My favorite vacuum is made by Miele, with the optional HEPA filter. Miele is VERY expensive, and if you can’t afford one, the Electrolux Oxygen models also work well. Don’t forget to clean under and behind your bed.

Your Carpet- Your carpet is like a huge sponge. It absorbs all the particles that are in the air until it fills up. When you walk on it, your carpet releases them back into the air in a plume. Try beating on the carpet while you shine a flashlight at it (at night, in the dark), and watch the plume. Remember that you can’t see most of what is being brought up. Vacuum your carpet at least twice a week using a HEPA filtered vacuum.

Your hard floors- mop/vacuum them at least once a week.

Your furniture- Cloth furniture harbors dust mites and absorbs particulates just like carpets. Try beating on the furniture while you shine a flashlight at it (at night, in the dark), and watch the plume. Vacuum any cloth furniture.

Your computer and other electronic equipment- take them outside along with a bottle of canned air. Open the computer if possible. Use the canner air to blow out all the dust. You’ll be amazed at how much stuff is in there, especially in your computer and its power supply. You probably only need to do this once every six months.

Your washing machine- Front loading, high efficiency washing machines are notorious for harboring and growing mold. Search Google for “Front Loader Mold” and you can read all about it. Carefully inspect the seal around your front loader for mold growth. Pull it back and look up inside. Get rid of your front loader. If you can’t, clean it (see the aforementioned Google search results for instructions), and then leave the door open whenever you aren’t using it to allow it to dry. Spores from that mold are in all of your clothing and bedding, so go wash them all again.

Framed pictures- my wife had a bunch of old framed pictures stored under our bed. Cleaning these improved my eyes by 50% overnight.

Window Coverings- clean your shades/blinds/shutters/drapes. Clean the top of the rail that they are hanging from.

Light fixtures- clean inside and outside all light fixtures. Clean the bulbs. Turn it OFF and wait an hour first because bulbs can get very hot.

Your bathroom- clean any mold in your shower. Clean your hairbrush and comb because it is a breeding ground for dust mites.

Consider buying a Haan steam mop and using that, along with the carpet attachment to sanitize your carpet and furniture using steam. Steam can kill dust mites.

3. Clean yourself. Shower and rinse your hair twice a day. Your hair, like carpet, can harbor allergens. Consider Nasal irrigation- as your breath, the hairs in your nose and sinuses harbor allergens. I use the Neil-Med Sinus Rinse.

4. Cold compresses- most eye doctors will tell you to use warm compresses. This didn’t work for me at all. And why should it? If you have inflammation on any other part of your body, your doctor will tell you to use cold compresses or ice to reduce the inflammation. Heat promotes inflammation. If your eyelids are red and irritated, use cold compresses. This is the most effective immediate remedy, but its effect is short-lived.

Your eye doctor will tell you that your glands are plugged. I believe that they aren’t plugged; rather, they are swollen and producing a thick substance. Although it is thick, it still comes out whenever I rinse with saline, and thus, the glands are NOT plugged.

I’ve found that my eyes feel best when I’m outside during a cold winter. The cold soothes my eyes, and there is very little mold spores, pollen, and dust mites during cold winter months. If my problem were plugged ducts, I would expect just the opposite.

5. Over the Counter Eyelid Scrubs- Theratears Sterilid is an over the counter eyelid foam. I’ve used it and found that it helps. Interestingly, it contains natural ingredients which have anti-bacterial and antifungal properties. It is expensive, however.

6. Eye drops- if you must use any kind of ocular eyedrops, try to avoid using ones with preservatives. I’ve found that the use of too many drops that contain preservatives can make my eyes significantly worse, and it can take several days for the effect to go away. Eye drops work best if you follow the instructions: Form a pouch, insert drop, blink twice, and close your eyes for as long as possible. Several formulations of lubricating eye drops are available in single-use vials, with no preservatives.

Unisol 4 is a preservative free saline. I use it to rinse out my eyes at least once a day, on the theory that rinsing out the allergens is a good thing.

7. Antihistamines- There are a million ocular antihistamines, but the most popular is a prescription drug called Patanol and Pataday (Pataday is just a higher concentration of Patanol that is dosed once daily – it seems to work better). Zaditor is over the counter and cheaper, but I don’t think that it works quite as well. If you use these ocular drugs, read the instructions and follow them. Don’t just drop the drops into your eye. Pull down your lower lid, create a pouch, put the drop in, blink twice, close your eye, and block the drain duct for as long as you can so that your eye will absorb the medicine.

There are also several oral antihistamines, but my favorite is prescription only Allegra, because it doesn’t make you drowsy. Demand the 180 mg once daily dosing, and not the 60 mg dosing. Zyrtec used to be prescription, but it is now over the counter. Although they say it doesn’t make you drowsy, it makes me drowsy. Benadryl is the most effective oral antihistamine, but it makes me very drowsy (and it is also used as the ingredient in most over the counter sleeping pills).

I’ve found that antihistamines are only marginally effective at reducing allergy symptoms. They work best when I’m in the marginal area where my eyes actually itch, but are not painful. In addition, antihistamines have an immediate effect, but they also have a cumulative effect. The longer you take them consistently, the more they work.

8. See an allergist and get tested. Because of restrictions imposed by insurance companies, your allergist my not offer you the best testing method.

Ask for prick testing for every antigen that is available. Ask your allergist to follow-up any negative prick test with an “intradermal skin test,” which involves using a syringe to inject a small amount of antigen into your skin. Offer to pay cash if your insurance won’t cover it, and ask if he offers a cash discount. Blood tests are not effective.

Ask your allergist to give you allergy injections for any positive results, ESPECIALLY mold. Some allergists won’t test for mold and won’t treat for mold, so make sure that yours will.

9. Exercise- Exercise 30 minutes a day. Exercise is proven to reduce almost every kind of inflammatory condition. It’s also good for your heart and will help you to lose weight and probably live longer.

10. Get some sun- Sunlight kills mold and fungi. Obviously, you don’t want to get too much, but too little sunlight is unhealthy as well.

11. Change your soap, your shampoo, your laundry detergent, and all your personal care products- Several readers have reported finding that a certain soap or detergent was the cause of their irritated eyes. This didn’t help me, but it certainly makes sense to try it.

12. If you have a central furnace, install the best media (non-electronic) filter you can. Remember to change your filters regularly. Run your furnace 24/7 if you can and let your furnace filter clean the air in your house.

Consider upgrading your furnace filter to the IQAir 16 (which is very expensive) or the Lennox HC16 (which is very inexpensive and is rated to work just as well).

Consider hiring an AC contractor to install UV lights over your AC Expansion Coil (the indoor part of your AC, mounted on the furnace). Your AC expansion coil is a breeding ground for mold, because it is often moist and always dark. Whenever your AC is on, spores are probably coming out of your HVAC vents. UV lights kill mold and prevent it from growing. It is not sufficient to put a UV light in your air filter, the light must shine where the water collects on the AC expansion coil, as water promotes mold growth.

Avoid electronic filters. Every ten years, it turns out that the electronic filter they used 10 years ago did something that was harmful to your health. Media based filters are proven safe and effective.

13. If you don’t have a central furnace, buy a room HEPA filter. IQAir is the most expensive and claims to be the best. The Honeywell 50xxx models are much cheaper, and work just as well according to the particulate counter that I used to test them. Remember to change your filters regularly. Avoid electronic filters for the reasons I discussed above. If you have a central furnace and you run it regularly to heat or cool your house, don’t bother with a room air cleaner. The central air will overpower your room air filter.

14. Ask your doctor about Diflucan. Diflucan is a prescription antifungal. Some people in the Blepharitis Forum have reported that Diflucan cured their Blepharitis. Diflucan kills molds and fungi throughout your body. It has a long half-life in your body. I suspect that it works, at least in the short term, because we are allergic to fungi. Killing them removes them from our body and thus alleviates the allergic reaction. But, because fungi and molds are everywhere, they are likely to return once the Diflucan leaves your body. I’m testing this theory right now. Diflucan has serious risks and drug interactions, so talk to your doctor about this therapy, even if you live in a country where it is available over the counter.

15. Antifungal shampoos- Some Blepharitis Forum users have reported success using anti-dandruff shampoos which contain antifungals to clean their eyelids followed by a 60 seconds of soaking on the eyelids before rinsing. This might work, because they would kill any mold and fungi, to which we may be allergic. Nizoral, Head and Shoulders, and others are available over the counter. I don’t recommend this, because there have been no studies proving that this treatment is safe and effective. I’ve tried it and found it inconclusive – I’m pretty sure that the irritation caused by the shampoo outweighed any benefit.

16. Warm compresses, lid expression, lid scrubs, baby shampoo, ocular antibiotics- If you’re reading this, you’ve probably tried all of these. They didn’t work for me, and they actually made my condition worse. As I mentioned before, heat provokes inflammation. Scrubbing irritated tissue just irritates it even more.

And if you’re allergic to mold, the last thing you want to do is eliminate the bacteria in your eyes. Bacteria and mold compete for resources in your tissues. If you eliminate the bacteria, you eliminate a natural rival which suppresses the mold. This is why some women get yeast infections after taking antibiotics.

In fact, taking oral antibiotics can cause a very nasty infection in your gut. Do a Google search for “A gut reaction to antibiotics” if you want to read more about how antibiotics may actually promote allergies.

Antibiotics may offer some relief because most antibiotics have an anti-inflammatory effect. If the problem were caused by bacteria, however, antibiotics would be a cure.

I’ve been posting my theories off and on for some time, but most people just seem to ignore them. If you’re suffering, please consider treating your condition like an allergy, and reply to this message to report whether any of these things worked for you.
    Last edited by advocate; 15-May-2009, 23:35.

I just realized that I left out one other treatment option that helps me a lot.

1. Moisturize your eyelids. Pick a dye free, fragrance free skin moisturizer and use it on your entire face. When it is almost completely rubbed in, use your fingers to drag some from your cheecks to your eyelids while your eyes are closed. I use a product called Eucerin.
    Last edited by advocate; 14-May-2009, 23:56.

Comment

Hi advocate

Just wanted to say thanks for the effort you have gone to in your post - there certainly are some interesting ideas in there. I will need to digest!

EllMitcho
      The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Comment

Thanks for responding. Please post here if you have any questions, and if you find success (or don't find success) in any of these methods, I'd really love to hear about it.

Comment

Yes, thank you so much for the time that must have taken to compose. There's lots of ideas there, which I certainly won't be ignoring.

I will also go back to the doctors, as when I suggested an allergy, he was very dismissive, and said I'd have more itching and watering.

Thank you again.

Comment

That was my experience as well. My allergist (who has actually brought me 90% relief) felt otherwise. I'm glad I listened to him..

Originally posted by SallyP View Post
            Yes, thank you so much for the time that must have taken to compose. There's lots of ideas there, which I certainly won't be ignoring.

I will also go back to the doctors, as when I suggested an allergy, he was very dismissive, and said I'd have more itching and watering.

Thank you again.

Comment

Wow thank you. I have had a case of hard to treat bleph that is still ongoing for 1.5 years. Many of these I have tried and since I have been to 10 opthamologists I have been checked but am always looking for new ideas. You put a lot of time into this and it is much appreciated

Comment

You're still in early days. I went 2 years before I finally saw an allergist. I'm in year 4 now (I think... it's been so long, I stopped keeping track).

Originally posted by GinaJ View Post
                Wow thank you. I have had a case of hard to treat bleph that is still ongoing for 1.5 years. Many of these I have tried and since I have been to 10 opthamologists I have been checked but am always looking for new ideas. You put a lot of time into this and it is much appreciated

Comment

I just wanted to give everyone an update.

First, I don't think that Diflucan did anything significant for me.

Second, I've given more attention to getting exposure to the sun. If I don't actually try, I get zero sun exposure everyday, because I live and work indoors, and I work at home. If I leave, it is usually in a car. Plus, I always wear sunglasses or eyeglasses with UV protection..

And so recently, I've gone out of my way to get about 15 minutes of UV exposure with my eyes open. This means walking around outside with no sunglasses and no eyeglasses. And the weird thing is - I think it's helping. My eyes look almost completely normal.

I suspect that indirect UV exposure might also be helpful. In other words, if you sit outside under an umbrella, but the sun is out and you are getting indirect sunlight, it might help as well. I recall that on days where I'm outside, even under an umbrella, my eyes do better.

Has anyone tried any of my suggestions? What's the result?

Comment

Advocate,

I definitely have facial rosacea and assuming occular rosacea as well. I have always had allergies with terrible sore throats that required erythromycin twice a year in spring and fall. Well, last fall I got my usual bout, but suffered through without the antibiotic. Then, I put my husbands ear drop in my eye by mistake. I'll never let that one down. I've heard every joke in the book from my friends. That set everything in motion. I got cysts in my eye that I had aspirated which left a nasty scratchy spot on my conjunctiva and the lovely dry eye, but I can now open my eye in the morning without drops. It's scratchy, but I can open it. I had fears of being in a nursing home one day and not being able to open my eye. The doctor said that one ear drop would not cause this, and I must have had an underlying issue because my other eye is actually dryer but more comfortable with less burning. Anyhoo- after a disaster with azasite that made things worse. I started restasis. I put the drop in my eye and with a second drop, I rub my eyelid margins and upper and lower lids. Since, I have been doing this, I think I see some improvement with less swelling in the morning. I also heard that castor oil will kill the demodex mites, and even though I wasn't diagnosed with that, I thought it wouldn't hurt. Interesting enough, I have been through the spring on restasis, and I haven't had even a hint of a sore throat. Do you think the restasis has something to do with it by bringing down inflammation? Just curious. I am not thrilled about the restasis, but it does seem to be helping.

Thanks for your great post!

Melissa
                    pianolady

Comment

I tried restasis and did not find much relief. Restasis is an immunosuppressant, and so when it does work, it is because it is suppressing your immune system.

If you suspect that your problems are caused by a mite/mold/bacteria, the best and easiest treatment is natural sunlight. Natural sunlight contains UV light, which kills most fungii, mites, and bacteria. Most doctors say that we should all be getting 15-20 minutes of sunlight everyday, and I suspect that most of us don't get it.

I'm now experimenting between tanning, i.e. laying out in the sun with my eyes closed, and just being outside in the sun with my eyes open and not having them covered with sunglasses or eyeglasses (which block UV light). I'm pretty sure that the latter (i.e. walking around) works better, presumably because the UV light from the sun can get into the white of my eye and onto the rear of the eyelids (where the Meibomian Glands are).

The one thing that I'm not clear on is how well it would work to sit in the shade and simply look out at the sunlit world. Obviously, that would result in less exposure to direct sunligh, but my eyes would still be getting more UV light than they usually do (which is to say, none, because I work inside my house and rarely have a reason to go outside).

The allergen control definitely resolved 90% of my problems. I'm now working on the final ten percent.

I'll report back when I know more.

Originally posted by msienkiewicz View Post
                      Advocate,

I definitely have facial rosacea and assuming occular rosacea as well. I have always had allergies with terrible sore throats that required erythromycin twice a year in spring and fall. Well, last fall I got my usual bout, but suffered through without the antibiotic. Then, I put my husbands ear drop in my eye by mistake. I'll never let that one down. I've heard every joke in the book from my friends. That set everything in motion. I got cysts in my eye that I had aspirated which left a nasty scratchy spot on my conjunctiva and the lovely dry eye, but I can now open my eye in the morning without drops. It's scratchy, but I can open it. I had fears of being in a nursing home one day and not being able to open my eye. The doctor said that one ear drop would not cause this, and I must have had an underlying issue because my other eye is actually dryer but more comfortable with less burning. Anyhoo- after a disaster with azasite that made things worse. I started restasis. I put the drop in my eye and with a second drop, I rub my eyelid margins and upper and lower lids. Since, I have been doing this, I think I see some improvement with less swelling in the morning. I also heard that castor oil will kill the demodex mites, and even though I wasn't diagnosed with that, I thought it wouldn't hurt. Interesting enough, I have been through the spring on restasis, and I haven't had even a hint of a sore throat. Do you think the restasis has something to do with it by bringing down inflammation? Just curious. I am not thrilled about the restasis, but it does seem to be helping.

Thanks for your great post!

Melissa

Comment

Hi advocate

I'm still in awe of your wonderful post, and the time that it took to compose. I find being outside generally definitely makes me better, but sunlight makes it worse, so I avoid it, but mabye its a case of moderating it.Also, my symptoms are generally only bad in the evenings, usually after about 7pm, and definitely much worse on the days I've been to work (thankfully I'm part time),and really the evenings are a write off. ALso, upon waking up, they are very stuck together, ironically a bit watery sometimes, and puffy to begin with. I must make the effort to look into the allergy side of things though, and persist with the doctors along this route, if things don't improve.

Comment

You have some wonderful suggestions and ideas that give a little hope to me.I have left my home for about a week each at 2 different friends homes to see if my symptoms improved which they didn't.But I am willing to try anything so thank you for your very interesting and informative post.

Comment

Hmmmmm...I wonder if what you're really getting from the sunlight is Vit D as well/more than the antifungal benefits?
                            There's some new research out now that most Americans don't get enough Vit D in their diets or from the sun.

I like alternative positions and yours is very good. I wondered too about the hot packs for inflammation, in fact, I just went and put a cold water bottle on my eyes for a few minutes. I also wonder why Restasis is the drop of choice when there's inflammation; why not steroids and antibiotics if there's infection/bacteria present that's causing the Blepharitis?
                            Good help IS hard to find...

Comment

???

Kassandra -

Steroids and antibiotics are prescribed for blepharitis - Alrex/Lotemax and Azasite/doxycycline, etc. Restasis is prescribed for long-term inflammation because it can be used indefinitely while steroids cannot as chronic use can lead to glaucoma, cataracts and corneal thinning. Azasite is sometimes prescribed for blepharitis. Oral doxy is prescribed for posterior bleph/mgd. Z-Pack is also sometimes used for posterior bleph/mgd. Restasis is just one option.

Gretchen

Comment

Working...
                              X