Different advice/diagnosis within same profession - advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different advice/diagnosis within same profession - advice

I went to the opticians today, just to check out how my blepharitis was getting on,but saw a different optician. She advised me I had MGD, pre-blepharitis, but her colleague 3 months ealier said I had blepharitis - is MGD a form of blepharitis?

Also, her collegue had advised me, at the end of the lid wipe etc, pre drops, to splash cold water on, but yesterday I was advised not to do this, as it will have the reverse effect of the hot compress on the glands, and close them up again. Thing is, the cold water splashed on my eyes makes them feel so comfortable in the morning, any advice?

Finally, I expressed some of the oil from my eyes today, for the first time, which was worryingly easy, and alot came out, but am I then supposed to wipe that away? What do you all do? I'm a bit confused now, and I know there's a film over my eyes now I don't want to aggrevate the situation, or give myself an infection. Any advice - please? Thank you

Same thing happened to me...

My sense is that the are very closely related and that MGD is one cause of bleph, but not the only one. However, Rebecca should weigh in on that. I would LOVE to see enough oils coming out of my glands that you did. That is a positive sign that things are not too bad on that front.

Comment

Sally, I think the "film" over your eyes is the oil that spilled over and did some irritation. You sound like you will be doing very well soon. Many of us have no oil to express and you're at least working with some promise!

Your doctor may not want you so splash your face with cold water after the warm compress? I'm not quite sure I understand. But, he may not want you to close the little glands up with the cold water right away.

After you're done with the warm compress and expression of oil etc. I don't see how it could hurt you to use a cool compress to soothe your eyes at another time. Cool and ice have always helped soothe my pain.

Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thank you, and it was quite satisfying to see the oil coming out. However, when I tried again yesterday evening, no oil was to be seen. Maybe there's more build up over night.

It seems to be quite positive, so fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
        X