No announcement yet.

MGD - expressing oil manually - question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes,my doc usually pushes pretty hard on my lids(which I try to do but with little results). I did get some oil by following the advise of the post that said to pull the lid taut to the outside and applying the pressure(I had best results with using a q-tip at a sideways angle with my eyes closed)after a soak.I am sure that we need to keep doing the routine and not expect too much too soon.I have been using the thera tears eyemask in the mornings(has anyone had success with this?)and warm soaks during the day when my lids feel full or my cheeks get tingly.As for the docs who advise their patients that they need to seek professional help (pschiatrist or pschologist) to help them deal with this-SHAME on them.What we all need is a doctor with some compassion and interest in our condition that is willing to make an honest effort to do some research and try and help us.Not another doctor to give us anti-depressents!!!!!!I have been to my doc(and 2 of his partners) approx. 14 times in the last 8 months and after all the meds,drops,biopsy he has prescribed I am worse than when I started and he just about given up on me.I am just about to give up on him also.I find it amazing that so many have to go from doctor to doctor .Sorry this post is so long!!Best to All

Comment

Well... when you get acclimated with the meibomian glands you'll know their feeling sorta. So do like a compress and focus on the meibomian glands.
      Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Sandra Lee,

I see that you live in New York. Is there any way you can make it over to Dr. Latkany's office? I think he is very good at hitting the correct diagnosis, and then you can move on from there to start treating your eyes.

Comment

Hi!I am in the waiting for an upcoming appt.(3rd opinion)that I made back in April with my old opthamologist(whom I had to stop seeing as he dropped my insurance 2 years ago) who I am hoping can help me.My next step is to try and get in to Dr. Latkany.Problem being is every new appt. takes months.I suppose because I am fairly new to this(had the condition for 8 months-but most recently diagnosed May 7th)I am just searching to understand how this meibomitis can be best treated.There are so many different opinions by different docs that it is extremely confusing.I am reading Dr. Latkany's book and he sounds too good to be true,so surely if I do not get any results in July I will try to connect with him.Thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

I've persevered with expressing the oil, much as I can't stand doing it, and although they were undoubtedly worse to begin with, and I nearly gave up, there seems to be an improvement. As always though, I'm not getting carried away with excitement, as it could just be a good spell anyway, but fingers crossed.

Comment

Also mean to say, the systane drops are definitely the best ones I've used so far, so that may well also contribute to the improvement.

Comment

Hi Sally,I am so glad you are seeing improvement.I hope you continue.Did you notice any improvement before and then go backwards?I was doing fairly well last week and since I have been noticing the oil a little bit my left eye mostly is more irritated and my upper cheeks tingling.Also,the preservative free drops seem to be aggravating.Has anyone been not able to use the preservative free?The docs say they are fine to use but I sometimes feel better without them and only use when I am very irritated.Has anyone ever asked if using preservative free tears too often can do damage as far as our diminishing our natural tear production?

Comment

Hi Sandra Lee!

Whatever time is it where you are?!

Well, regarding the preservative free drops, I've used several that aggrevated my eyes beyond belief, and even the celluvisc which I used prior to the systane, and was the best one until then, I'm sure in the end irritated my eyes, and like you, sometimes felt better for not taking them. It was almost like an immediate relief, but after about 15 mins, I was worse.

My eyes can get better, and almost symptom free for a day or two or really bad for no apparent reason anyway, which is why I'm cautiously optimistic this time. I think I mentioned before I was thinking about writing a detailed diary about what I ate, where I went, what I did etc to see if I could make any link. In fact thinking about it, they got worse, then better, then particularly bad, the point I nearly stopped expressing the oil, and since then have improved greatly.

If I don't reply soon, it's because my 15 year old daughter is going on the computer shortly, and I probably went get a look in for the rest of the day!

Take care, and do keep in touch. You can always send me a private
                  message.

Comment

Sally

You sound to be getting the hang of things - are you managing with the top lids OK? I have to perform a delicate balancing act twixt mirror and upper body just to get the right angle of vision in the mirror. It's like DIY yoga.

I have given up on Systane (temporarily). I'm back to using Vismed but it is difficult to administer.

I tried keeping a food diary once but reached the conclusion that it wasn't worth it (in my case anyway). I know what kinds of environments are likely to exacerbate my eyes - and the times of day where they are likely to be really bad and that is about it. These are very broad headings but I've not managed to narrow it down any more than that. I pursued the food intolerance angle by doing the York test - www.yorktest.com Granted, the test is a 'blunt tool' rather than a precision instrument - it wasn't really designed to pick up on things like eye / skin problems. The only foods that came up as being possibilities were lettuce and egg white.

However, I noticed that they do testing for environmental allergens which might be worth you looking at. Unsure how much it costs but it could be cheaper than visiting an allergist - and this company is endorsed by Allergy UK

Comment

Working...
                    X