meibomian glands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meibomian glands

I have read several people in here speaking of this and never knew what ya'll were talking about so I looked it up:

The meibomian glands (or tarsal glands) are a special kind of sebaceous glands at the rim of the eyelids, responsible for the supply of sebum, an oily substance that prevents evaporation of the eye's tear film, prevents tear spillage onto the cheek, and makes the closed lids airtight. There are approximately 50 glands on the upper eyelids and 25 glands on the lower eyelids.

Since these prevent your tears from evaporating...I thought I'd look at mine and see what they look like and if they were oily looking or moist.
    I looked at mine with a 10X mirror and the area where these are ~ and they are dry as a bone. So I'm wondering if this is my problem. I go back to the eye doc next week; so I'm going to mention this and see what happens...

But if this is it and I have gone all these years (since 2004) would they even be repairable at this point? and what do you do to repair these to make them work?

Missie - are you able to express oil from your glands - as shown in this site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liNL...eature=related

Comment

nothing happens

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
      Missie - are you able to express oil from your glands - as shown in this site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7liNL...eature=related
      nothing happens

Thank you Irish eyes for the link to the video.
      Thank you so much for your help

Comment

You are welcome Missie.

Do your glands look anything like those in the video - even if they are not as prominent? Those under my top lids are way more prominent than those at the bottom.

Expressing oil isn't an easy thing to do; I know one is meant to put gentle pressure on the lids but I have to be a bit more brutal than that. Sometimes I get white, toothpaste like stuff and at other times, it is more viscous in consistency. I think the glands are infected but doxy doesn't seem to be getting to the problem.

I think you should certainly mention it next time you visit the doctor.

Comment

Thank you

He put me on doxy last time I was there: 100 mg daily.

I will definitely mention it. I just hope he will know how to fix it. I have had the more difficult time trying to find a great eye doc that knows their stuff.

No they didn't look like that ~ I couldn't get anything out of them; so I may not have done it correctly. I thought I'd try again later. My right eye is so so sore and it's difficult for me to touch anywhere near that one. I hope the doc can figure all this out and soon.

Thank you for all your help. I'll let you know what he says ~ I thought I was supposed to go back this week, but it's the week after next.

Comment

Working...
          X