fatigue with mgd/dry eye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fatigue with mgd/dry eye?

This is quite difficult to explain, but as I've mentioned before, I get my symptoms far worse from about 8pm in the evening.

At their worst, I feel incredibly tired, and can just sleep for about half an hour, but I don't think I'm physically tired,if that makes sense, I think I just feel tired from the eyes upwards!

I don't know if that makes sense. I used to think I was getting worse because I was tired, but I think the eye problem makes me feel unnaturally tired, but it's not a physically worn out tiredness.

When I sleep like this because of my eyes, just for half an hour or so, and I really can't help falling asleep, and I do go completely to sleep, when I wake, sometimes my eyes are better, and quite often then can't get to sleep later, which is annoying

Does anyone else understand what I mean, or can explain it

Hi Sally

I can identify with that. My eyes can be bad throughout the day but worsen as the day goes on - i know that's a bit different to your experience.

I love my job but feel exhausted when I get home - and although I would love to take a nap, I try to resist doing so because I know I might not be able to sleep properly later! On the other hand, if I am so utterly exhausted that even the smallest task seems impossible, I have a lie down.

When my children were young, this was something I frequently had to do; thankfully they were mature and appreciated that I was usually a little less `ratty' later if I did this!

At times, I get bored out of my mind if the discomfort creates the inability to `function' properly. I think boredom also contributes to my feelings of fatigue so I consciously have to fight this and pace myself. No longer do I try to be superwoman.

Comment

hi sally

honestly im the same even when my body doesnt feel tired my eyes are like lead weights and i get really fed up with people saying to me how tired i look even when im not tired but im always lethargic with it now to and i always wondered if its because of dry eye so maybe it is but the only comfort from it is to go to sleep.

Comment

Irish eyes,

You mention boredom, and I can relate to that. So many of the things I liked to do are now so tedious:reading a book, a crossword puzzle, playing the piano, etc. I have taken up scrapbooking because that does not require as much strain on my eyes.

I think so much of the lethargy is actually boredom with me as I simply must rest my eyes during the day when my body is ready to go.

At times, I ask my kids or husband to take me for a walk like the dog. I close my eyes and let them lead me. At least this way I feel the sunshine and stay active.

Learning to adapt,
        Melissa
        pianolady

Comment

I definitely have noticed that when my eyes get particularly bad, I feel an overall sense of exhaustion (and I do not believe the fatigue is causing the eye problem -- it seems to be the reverse).

At those times, there is nothing I can do to make them feel better yet they are too uncomfortable for me to be able to ignore. So it's a lot of extra "work" to try to do what I need to do while also trying (unsuccessfully) to ignore my eyes, plus all the mental energy I put toward trying to figure out why they're worse and what else I can possibly do. I do think it is actually exhausting.

It is also possible that part of this is depression-related -- it's so discouraging when my eyes are especially bad and it makes me want to escape from it (by sleeping).

But mostly, I think it takes an extraordinary amount of energy to cope with the discomfort.

Comment

I think fatigue, both locally with the eyes and generally with the body, is a big reason why MGD is so disruptive to quality of life. The eyes get tired and sore because the tear film is inadequate. This makes us light sensitive and increases eye strain.

More generally speaking, the constant nagging pain just wears my body down. And the mental stress of always thinking about my eyes, even though I try not to, really takes it out of me.

I don't know if anyone else feels this, but my eyelids always feel heavy too, probably because there is not enough oil to help the lids slide comfortably over the eyeball. Since heavy lids usually mean sleepiness, I think the feeling triggers my mind to want sleep.

I've found relief in power naps. Make sure you protect your eyes!

Comment

Thank you everybody.

My eyes feel unbelievably heavy, sort of stick and open and close very slowly. It's just awful. They are also, when at their worst, very light sensitive, and even the slight draft from moving from room to room makes me just want to close them. So, sleep does just give relief from it all. I did think the other night, I'd like somebody to give me an anaesthetic to give me 8 hours solid sleep, and very quickly!!

Comment

I get very exhausted too...the constant pain and fear of moving air has to deplete one's energy levels.

I would like to mention that if you think your fatigue and exhaustion is out of proportion with the pain and your day's activities, it worth going to the GP to get it sorted out. Just to be safe that the exhaustion isn't exacerbated by something else. For example, it turns out that I have abnormally low vit D levels (probably bc my dry eyes confine me to the house) and am anemic....both of which can be contributing to my exhaustion.

Comment

Hi Odydnas

Anaemia certainly affects energy levels. A couple of years ago, my blood count went to below 7 and I could barely make a decision on my own! You will feel a whole lot better once it is sorted - you certainly need strength to cope with the whole eye thing.

Sally,

My eyes are very heavy - like you described. The discomfort wakes me up; of late I have had difficulty getting the right eye to move as it becomes so stiff. You know that feeling when your limbs `go to sleep' and you have to prod them to make them move? It's like that! Last night was particularly bad for some reason so I'm off to work feeling absolutely dreadful - I feel as though I've done a days work already.

Comment

Working...
                  X