This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help diagnosing my condition

Doctors have told me all my life that I have blepharitis and the treatment is to use a warm compress, scrub my lids and use erithromycin. However I dont see any change in my condition. Warm compresses always make my eyes more inflamed and dont provide any relief. I have bad allergies and I think that it might play a part in my condition. When I wake up my eyes are bloodshot and have eye goo on the bottom of my lids. Is this blepharitis because my eyes arent crusty and dry, the goo is still wet and can just be rubbed away. My eyes whiten a bit as I wake up but throughout the day they are always pinkish and irritated. I get eye boogers at the corner of my eye a lot and sometimes I have dry eye symptoms like my eyes get super squinty and when i look forward it feels like my eyes are just drying out so I have to look down and squint in order to keep my eyes open at all. Towards the end of the day my eyes get redder and redder. Some people say it is because my eyes are tired but I dont think that is the case because they get to a point where they are just pure bloodshot. Does this sound familiar to anyone? What can I do that will just make my eyes normal?
    Any help is greatly appreciated, I struggle with this on a daily basis.

Originally posted by jhollister View Post
    Doctors have told me all my life that I have blepharitis and the treatment is to use a warm compress, scrub my lids and use erithromycin. However I dont see any change in my condition. Warm compresses always make my eyes more inflamed and dont provide any relief. I have bad allergies and I think that it might play a part in my condition. When I wake up my eyes are bloodshot and have eye goo on the bottom of my lids. Is this blepharitis because my eyes arent crusty and dry, the goo is still wet and can just be rubbed away. My eyes whiten a bit as I wake up but throughout the day they are always pinkish and irritated. I get eye boogers at the corner of my eye a lot and sometimes I have dry eye symptoms like my eyes get super squinty and when i look forward it feels like my eyes are just drying out so I have to look down and squint in order to keep my eyes open at all. Towards the end of the day my eyes get redder and redder. Some people say it is because my eyes are tired but I dont think that is the case because they get to a point where they are just pure bloodshot. Does this sound familiar to anyone? What can I do that will just make my eyes normal?
    Any help is greatly appreciated, I struggle with this on a daily basis.
    I'm not a doctor and cannot diagnose you. But if you give some more info, I think some of us could point you in the right direction.

Have you had Schirmer strip tests? Tear breakup time?

When did your symptoms begin? Did something trigger it?

What meds have you tried? Just erithromycin?

Are you going to ophthalmologists? Did they say posterior or anterior blepharitis?

Comment

I haven't had any testing done on my eyes, and the optometrists have just said blepharitis, not citing any specific kind. I have tried erithromycin, and tobradex or tobramax (which worked slightly, I think).

Comment

Whoa, I think this thread got moved from the Dr. Holly section, which is good because I did not notice where I was when I replied.

JHollister - Run, don't walk, don't pass go, don't collect your $200. Get to an optometrist or ophthalmologist that will thoroughly examine your eyes, measure your tear volume, tear breakup time, and give you a diagnosis of exactly what kind of condition you have.

When it comes to dry eye, most eye doctors are terrible. It's just the truth. They might be a genius when it comes to treating cataracts, glaucoma, or performing laser surgery... but only a few seem to know even as much as the people on this board do about tears, glands, treatments, etc. for dry eye syndrome.

Yes, to me, it sounds like you have posterior blepharitis/meibomian gland dysfunction based on the eye goo/eye boogers you describe. The oil seems to be congealed and accumulating while you sleep. The dryness you're experiencing is probably because you do not have enough oil to keep the tears from evaporating. But you might also have a tear volume issue. You have to get tested to get it all sorted out.

But it sounds like you need quality ophthalmological examination and allergy testing. Don't rest until you get it. You shouldn't have to live this way. Years of blepharitis is not normal.

Let us know how we can help.

Comment

Dear jhollister,
          My friend and myself were able to kill Blepharitis. My friend used a facial scrub (as the Blepharitis moved up onto her eyelids) with Benzethonium Chloride in it. I could no longer find that product for sale so I looked on line and found that WET ONES, an antibacterial hand wipe, had Benzethonium Chloride in it. I had those in my purse.
          Blepharitis is a bacterial infection. These wipes are cheap and easy to use. I am finding that people can't believe this can kill it--too easy. Please remember that ulcers were once thought to be incurable. Now antibiotics are the cure. The Dr. who discovered this found that he was not believed so he infected himself and cured himself with an antibiotic. The rest is history.
          I tore each one into 8 sections and did each eyelash area 2 times. I did this 4 times a day for a week and a half then went down to 3 times a day for a month. After that I did it 2 times a day (feels so much better) for a couple of months. It itched once or twice and I jumped on it for a day and then it was no more.
          There were 3 doctors who looked into my eyes and could not find it including the one who diagnosed the Blepharitis. I was told by 2 doctors it would come back. I said it had been 4-5 months. Now it is almost a year.
          This is a discovery that someone out of desperation tried an antibacterial facial scrub on her Blepharitis. Please, there are 2 people using 2 different products with Benzethonium Chloride that killed Blepharitis.
          Trying to help others see how cheap and easy the cure can be.
          Wish you well soon
          LyndaT

Comment

Originally posted by LyndaT View Post
            Dear jhollister,
            My friend and myself were able to kill Blepharitis. My friend used a facial scrub (as the Blepharitis moved up onto her eyelids) with Benzethonium Chloride in it. I could no longer find that product for sale so I looked on line and found that WET ONES, an antibacterial hand wipe, had Benzethonium Chloride in it. I had those in my purse.
            Blepharitis is a bacterial infection. These wipes are cheap and easy to use. I am finding that people can't believe this can kill it--too easy. Please remember that ulcers were once thought to be incurable. Now antibiotics are the cure. The Dr. who discovered this found that he was not believed so he infected himself and cured himself with an antibiotic. The rest is history.
            I tore each one into 8 sections and did each eyelash area 2 times. I did this 4 times a day for a week and a half then went down to 3 times a day for a month. After that I did it 2 times a day (feels so much better) for a couple of months. It itched once or twice and I jumped on it for a day and then it was no more.
            There were 3 doctors who looked into my eyes and could not find it including the one who diagnosed the Blepharitis. I was told by 2 doctors it would come back. I said it had been 4-5 months. Now it is almost a year.
            This is a discovery that someone out of desperation tried an antibacterial facial scrub on her Blepharitis. Please, there are 2 people using 2 different products with Benzethonium Chloride that killed Blepharitis.
            Trying to help others see how cheap and easy the cure can be.
            Wish you well soon
            LyndaT
            Hello Linda, your story sounds like a miracle.
            The only thing, that frightens me is that if those wipes touch your eyes it is not good for them? It also says on the package (Avoid contact with eyes). So how do you use it without touching your eyes? Or do you touch them and nothing happens?
            By the way do you know any similar product in Austria (Europe)?

looking forward to hear from you
            Bojan

UPDATE: I found this one in my home pharmacy: vionell® Intim Waschlotion Soft & Sensitive .... with the following ingredients
            Ingredients:
            Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Lactitol, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Lauryl Glucoside, Aloe Barbadensis Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Flower Extract, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzethonium Chloride, Polyquaternium-10, Parfum, Phenoxyethanol, Methylisothiazolinone, Lactic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid

Im not sure if this includes to much chemicals?

Comment

I couldnt even find one seller of WET ONES (the specific red ones you mentioned) who sells internationally. This is really awful, but at the end I looked on Ebay and ordered there. Hope it is the right one (see link)
              As soon as it arrives I will post my experience.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wet-Ones-Ant...#ht_339wt_1124

Comment

Originally posted by bojan89 View Post
                I couldnt even find one seller of WET ONES (the specific red ones you mentioned) who sells internationally. This is really awful, but at the end I looked on Ebay and ordered there. Hope it is the right one (see link)
                As soon as it arrives I will post my experience.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wet-Ones-Ant...#ht_339wt_1124
                Hi, Those are the same ones, just in a different size and package. They can be bought on line as I was looking for someone in down under.
                They do have a lot of stuff in them but so did the Avon Facial Scrub that my friend used. Can't seem to buy them anymore.
                Just make sure what ever you use it has to have Benzethonium Chloride in it.
                Someone told me they are getting something ordered by a chemist that has it in it. Possibly a facial cream or something.
                I know this sounds too good to be true, but it works fast at relieving it. It does take 3 or more months to actually kill it as in the roots of the eyelashes. You have to be tenacious.
                The doctors told me it would come back. I told them it had been 4-5 months. Now almost a year. It probably will come back if not done long enough. After I did the routine it itched once or twice more. I jumped on it for a day or two and gone.
                I have someone in a rest home who had this gunk in her eyes. I tried water and finally took a WET ONE and could not believe the difference and the itching stopped for her. That stuff is bacterial too. I looked it up on line and it was.
                Please keep on it for a good length of time as don't want it to come back.
                Wish you well soon.
                LyndaT

Comment

So I just received my wet ones today and immediately started with the treatment.

I tore 1 into 8 pieces and used each twice. The only thing is, that I didm´t go to close to the eye ( because Im a little bit scared if it touches the eye) did it ever happen to you LyndaT?
                  Another question: it is very difficult to clean the upper lids :/ how do you manage that? and how long do you clean one side of the eyelash? I go 4-5 times over it and move on
                  Would it be bad for the treatment if I rinse my face and eyes with water straight after? Or should I wait several minutes prior?

Bojan

Comment

Dear bojan,
                    I have touched my eye and was fine. I have put some eye drops in when I do that. The eye drops are the artificial tears. That rinses the eyes when I over did things.
                    On the upper lids I did it opened eye with an upward stroke. I then closed the eye softly and rubbed away.
                    I usually did not rinse. Like I said if I got some in my eye I just put some drops in but you can do whatever when it comes to rinsing your eyes. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.
                    I have had to use water when I got a lot on my skin. The corner of the eye was dry or on top of the eye lid. I used a good eye cream when I feel dry. There are eye creams to moisturize around the eyes. They are a little expensive, around $40.00. but better for the eye area.
                    I was really careful when I started out and then got in a hurry and would rub the other areas too.
                    If you have really huge wet ones you can put them in an air tight container and they will keep better and you can tear off smaller sections too or perhaps cut them into small sections.

I was thinking about your situation and wondered if you were using too big a section of the WET ONES. I measured mine and they are 71/2 by 5 inches. I tore them into 4 sections which would make them about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in width and about 3 to 3 1/2 inches after I divided them in two. This makes the applying to eye a little easier as a bigger section wipes all over the place. I would wrap it around my finger so the tip was covered and used it that way. When I did use the whole wipe when I was not at home it did dry out my eyelids so went back to small sections.
                    Hope this helps you.
                    LyndaT
                    Last edited by LyndaT; 23-Jan-2014, 10:51. Reason: added more information

Comment

Originally posted by LyndaT View Post
                      Dear bojan,
                      I have touched my eye and was fine. I have put some eye drops in when I do that. The eye drops are the artificial tears. That rinses the eyes when I over did things.
                      On the upper lids I did it opened eye with an upward stroke. I then closed the eye softly and rubbed away.
                      I usually did not rinse. Like I said if I got some in my eye I just put some drops in but you can do whatever when it comes to rinsing your eyes. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.
                      I have had to use water when I got a lot on my skin. The corner of the eye was dry or on top of the eye lid. I used a good eye cream when I feel dry. There are eye creams to moisturize around the eyes. They are a little expensive, around $40.00. but better for the eye area.
                      I was really careful when I started out and then got in a hurry and would rub the other areas too.
                      If you have really huge wet ones you can put them in an air tight container and they will keep better and you can tear off smaller sections too or perhaps cut them into small sections.

I was thinking about your situation and wondered if you were using too big a section of the WET ONES. I measured mine and they are 71/2 by 5 inches. I tore them into 4 sections which would make them about 1 to 1 1/2 inches in width and about 3 to 3 1/2 inches after I divided them in two. This makes the applying to eye a little easier as a bigger section wipes all over the place. I would wrap it around my finger so the tip was covered and used it that way. When I did use the whole wipe when I was not at home it did dry out my eyelids so went back to small sections.
                      Hope this helps you.
                      LyndaT
                      Thank you Lynda for your support! That means a lot

Update after using it for 3 days: After the first night I felt a little better in the morning as usually. But after that I got headache and my eyes were irritated in a different way. The inside of the eyelashes were way more red than they used to be...I continued using the wet ones for 2 more days, but today stopped.
                      1) Maybe it is because I´m touching the eyebrows and pheraps shouldn´t?
                      2) Maybe my skin around the eye dries out to much?
                      3) The only thing which gives me relief is rinse my face and eyes with cold water? Maybe I don´t have blepharitis just MGD?
                      4) It wasn´t just enough time of trying the wet ones? But on the other hand if it feels worse than before after applying them, It might not be good for me

Bojan

Comment

You're probably sensitive or even allergic to the compounds in the wipes. IMO it's terribly uncomfortable and not a good idea to continue with treatments to which you have severe sensitivities and allergies. You end up causing more harm good. And always remember, that even if someone can tolerate something that does not mean automatically that you will. Best to try something like this on just one eye, or just one lid, or just part of one lid, to test for sensitivities and allergies first.

Comment

Just so people know the same thing happened with me using wet ones. I was okay for a few days, then I had a reaction and I'm still trying to get it to go down.

Comment

Hi Lynda
                            I have suffered from severe blepharitis for 6 years, and was told that it was because of ocular rosacea. During this period of time I saw three different optometrists and two ophthalmologists who tried Azasite (moderate relief, too costly to continue, returned quickly after cessation), oral doxy (no help whatsoever), ristasis (mild relief), and erythromycin ointment (made it worse). Because my dx was rosacea, I researched triggers and avoided them for months. No caffeine, hot beverages, iced beverages, alcoholic beverages, or spicy foods. (No difference) Through this whole time, I religiously completed lid hygiene with baby shampoo and OTC lid wipes (Systane) and used OTC preservative free moisture drops. My career is in healthcare leadership, and I have to face people daily and look professional and well groomed. You wouldn't imagine the emotional distress these red, sick-looking eyes and lids caused me. It has been unimaginable torture.
                            I have now sustained my longest and truest period of relief. Lasting five days now. Amazing. All because I, for the hundredth time, began searching the internet for something, anything! This time I left out ocular rosacea from my keywords and just concentrated on blephariris. I found one post that was intriguing, and another, and another...WET ONES ON MY EYELIDS? I was desperate. I tried it. 14 days ago. My lids are down to 10% of the swelling they had been for years, and the whites of my eyes are, well, WHITE.
                            IT HAS BEEN WORKING! I can't tell you how thankful I am that you spread this word far and wide across the internet, otherwise I would have never tried it. And the other gal that it worked for, too.
                            This is a terrible disease with what seemed to be no cure. I have spent thousands of dollars on different make up products, medications, doctor visits, hair colors that I hoped would attract others' eyes away from mine, and glasses to hide behind. This is a 20$ cure.
                            Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!
                            Stephanie
                            Colorado

Comment

Working...
                            X