Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mucous membrane

Hello everybody,
    in addition to my MGD, my eye doctor also told me recently that my mucous membrane is in a bad condition. He also said that there's not much treatment-wise I can do about it. But I'm curious about your experiences:

1) Can the mucous membrane recover?

2) Which treatments specifically address the goblet cells that produce the mucous membrane?

3) Since my dry eye symptoms suddenly started to worsen very much a few days after I started my first real job since finishing college, I wonder if there's a link between the office in which I work and the sudden problems I have. Do you think there might be some kind of chemical in the glue of the wooden floor or something that has irritated my mucous membrane and thus caused my problems?

The mucin layer of your tear film is generated by goblet cells. They generally do well except when traumatized(surgery) or prolonged inflammation. If the ocular surface is kept hydrated folowing surgery this does not become a long term issue. If you have chronic dry eye and the inflammation associated with it it becomes a little more difficult. Typically if you can keep the water on your eye longer the goblet cells will regenerate sufficiently to create and adequate mucin layer.

Comment

Hello indrep,
      thank you very much for your reply!
      Please tell me, what's the origin of your knowledge? Are you an eye doctor or just really well-informed? What can I do to get the goblet cells going again? What do you think about my 3rd question?

Comment

I have been researching and selling dry eye products for over 22 years. I have a family member who has had sever dry eyes for 25 years so this has a special place in my heart.

In order to have the healthiest ocular surface you must reverse teh osmolarity of your tears on the ocular surface. A dose of topical steroids, punctal occlusion and an HA tear which I believe are ready avvailable in Europe. You should begin to notice relief right away and over 3-6 months notice a significant difference.

Comment

Forgive me, what is an HA tear?

Melissa
          pianolady

Comment

I believe it's hyaluronic acid.

Comment

Hello indrep,
              thank you very much for your reply. I will bring up these points when I talk to my eye doctor again.

Please tell me, has there been much improvement in dry eye products over the last 22 years? Do you think products in 5 years will be significantly better than now?

Comment

Working...
              X