Allergies and blepharitis and mgd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies and blepharitis and mgd?

I suffer badly from mold and dust mites/dander. The question is can this be what is triggering the blepharitis and or the mgd? Can this be a cause for it? I have been in the serch section for a bit this am and saw in the triumpements that someone had mentioned they got control of there allergies and they got the bleph undercontrol. I was not sure how common bleph mgd can be due to allergies? Can anyone please enlighten me on this topic as I feel as though i have out of my drs attention and have become very frusterated. Thanks for anyones imput. If this is a common thing what are the signs of it and how do you help control it?

Anyone? 40 views and nobody? my last post had well over 100 and nobody had imput? anyone?

Comment

Hi mike838

eMedicine (see link) does state that blepharitis can be triggered by contact allergies.
      http://www.emedicinehealth.com/eyeli...ation%20Causes
      • Inflammatory or allergic blepharitis results in increased shedding of skin cells near your eyelids.

• Allergic blepharitis may be caused by irritants in the atmosphere (for example, chemicals at work) or by many medications, either ocular or systemic. In many people, blepharitis is caused by exposure to animals such as a dog or cat.
      I guess animal dander is a common trigger. The article goes on to state that the treatment for allergic blepharitis caused by pet dander is to remove the pets.

Contact allergies are diffferent than systemic allergies. Many of us suffer from both kinds but in my experience, most allergic reactions involving the eye and the skin around the eye and lids are contact allergies. Think of the difference between walking through a field of weeds and breathing in the pollen resulting in hay fever vs. walking through the same field and your skin touches weeds that you are allergic to and now you have a skin rash (inflammatory response).

I don't have blepharitis, but I have ocular allergies and skin allergies around my eyes. I am allergic to many chemicals, fragrances and probably many things I have yet to discover.

This study that I posted in the medical literature forum listed the most common allergens for skin allergies around the eye.
      http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7170
      Scout
      Last edited by Scout; 03-Sep-2009, 15:43. Reason: fixed broken link

Comment

Thanks for that good information. I tried googling it but couldent find anything. This is helpful

Comment

Thanks for that info.

Would it be true to think that this is a catch 22 situation.......if you have bleph. and don't have proper tear production, then any irritants that get in your eyes don't get properly washed away, causing more symptoms of allergies?

Would that be anyway correct?

I have one Lasik eye and one non Lasik eye. My Lasik eye has bleph and allergies and my non Lasik eye is fine. Prior to Lasik I never had any problems with my eyes, and now I have probelms with my Lasik eye.

B.
          Last edited by bernmee; 04-Sep-2009, 15:40. Reason: More info

Comment

Working...
          X