This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alrex 1x day for a few months for allergies? Really seeking any input

My ocular allergies are out of control. I get horrible attacks - realllllly bad itching, stinging, some mild watering, the skin around my eyes and nose itches. I'm miserable and it gets worse at night sometimes, making social occasions impossible. . I'm 26. I've been to my opthamologist, who has given me pataday that I've been taking for months and I don't think it has a significant impact.

He said last visit that he feels comfortable putting me on 1 drop a day of alrex for a few months to get ahead of the inflammation. He said he has great respect for steriods, but will be monitoring my IOP. I've been on alrex before a few times in the past and he said I am not a steroid responder. At that visit, I declined. But I'm now at my wits end. I look and feel awful. Itchy all the time, bloodshot beyond belief when I'm having an attack (since last night).

BUT. I have read about glaucoma, corneal melting, retinal detachment, plus it has the BAK in it. Although so does the Pataday. I've tried natural allergy remedies, drops, I've cut out all wheat, soy, dairy, egg from my diet according to my food testing. I'm trying everything and I'm still having attacks.

I just went to allergy testing and am allergic to housedust, dust mites, molds, trees, ragweed, and a few others. I'm trying to eliminate the allergens the best I possibly can - but I can't eliminate dust and mold from other peoples homes and places I go! I wear goggles religously, I am neverwithout some sort of wrap around goggle or glass. I irrigate my eyes with PF tears, chilled feels good on my eyes when they are itchy/red. But it's not enough.

Does anybody have any imput on going this route, or any other things I could try? I'm desperate and depressed at this point

I am so sorry. It just sounds so miserable.

Personally, under the circumstances you describe, I wouldn't hesitate to go the steroid route for awhile just for some relief!

I wish to goodness there were a simple way of figuring out the chickens versus eggs of these situations, i.e. bad tear film = unprotected against all this stuff, therefore max out tear film improvement? or severe allergies = severely disrupted tear film therefore max out allergy treatment. So we do both I guess and then we risk getting worse just from doing so much stuff to our eyes.

Just brainstorming here... and I'm sorry but I can't remember (and am too lazy/busy to look up) what all you're on but I wonder if at some point it might be an idea to just drop everything, especially Rx and OTC drops, and have a 'drug holiday' with only goggles, maybe unpreserved saline, maybe serum drops at the most, plus cold packs and whatever else it takes for the pain & discomfort while 'detoxing'.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks so much for your reply, and I agree, maybe cutting everything out and giving that a chance would do me some good. Today I have only used Dwelle (started using it a few days ago and the last few days have been better!!!) this morning, and plan on using it again tonight. Also have used just a few drops of PF tears from the fridge. Feeling so far so good, and I even cleaned the horse barn (with ski goggles on) without feeling or looking worse when I returned!

Comment

Have you been on a "cleanig diet"? It is really hard for few days but then you can feel really well. If you are intrested -send me the private message:-)

Comment

Working...
        X