Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have allergies to Preservative Free Lubricant drops? And relation to eczema?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have allergies to Preservative Free Lubricant drops? And relation to eczema?

I've been using Preservative Free lubricant eye drops for the past 6 months, mainly hypromellose based or carboxy methylcellulose (plus its variants, i.e., methylcellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose etc).

As of the past week, I have developed eczema around one eye and to find the triggers, have slowly discontinued anything new started. The eczema has gone down with the use of topical prescription creams but not completely gone.

I have also noticed that at times (not always) when i use the lubricant vials, my eye starts itching a little, may go red or has a foreign body sensation. The artelac vials now start to burn the eyes.

Is it safe to assume its an allergic reaction / intolerance to the ingredients within the vials? My doctor thinks its unusual since it is PF. Does anyone else have this issue?

Could this possibly also cause the eczema?

It is not just the preservative that can makes things worse. You may have sensitivity to some chemical in the eye drop.

None lubricants eye drops or gels I have tried so far make good to my eyes, even the preservative free.

Comment

From what i have read sensitivity / allergy to hypromellose based or carboxy methylcellulose (plus its variants, i.e., methylcellulose, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose etc). drops is not uncommon. It's something I suspect I have as well. The trick is figuring this out as you may well be perpetuating your issues by the drops that you would be led to believe will be of some benefit. So, switch drops to a different formulation, such as systane or Sodium hyd, or even plain sterile water, to see if things improve.

Comment

It might be the drops, but it you are using hot, damp washcloths to steam your eyes, it could also be that. I had a rash on my eyelids and around the eyes. The dermatologist wasn't sure if it was eczema or rosacea, so gave me some steroid cream, and it helped. The biggest help was getting a rice baggy and ditching the warm washcloths. No more problems. I think warm wet heat dries out the skin, and leaves it open to rashes and scaling, or at least it did on me. Good luck! Hope you aren't allergic to the drops.

Comment

LaDiva, that is the point which is hard to determine for me. Interestingly, I was using a warm washcloth to help open the blocked tear duct around the time the rash / eczema started.

I stopped that process shortly after, but the eczema still hasn't gone away completely despite the hydrocortisone ointment & tobrex I've tried. And since yesterday, my eyes (or mainly one eye) have been so irritated with any lubricant i've tried.

Villfan22 - I am sticking to saline for the next 2 days to test the theory (hopefully i can last that long without substantial lubrication). I also have PVA based lubricant, sodium hyoluranate and viscotears to test after that but am really starting to get concerned what lubricants to use if nothing works. I don't have alot of options in this part of the world

Thanks people for your answers

Comment

Working...
          X