This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conjunctival Papillae

After two weeks of my eyes driving me crazy, I finally dragged myself back to the eye doctor complaining of increased itching, burning on top of the dry eye symptoms.

He flipped my eye lids over to discover I have conjunctival papillae (white bumps) which indicate that I am having an allergic reaction to something. This explains why my eyes have been feeling so absolutely horrible lately. At least I am not crazy!

He said that this has been the worst allergy season in the Pacific Northwest in quite sometime and that people have been knocking down his door that don's usually have allergies.

So, it could be the spring allergies OR an allergic reaction to preservatives in Freshkote/Dwelle.

I was using Dwelle exclusively for about three lovely weeks and then all of a sudden, like turning on a light, I started experiencing burning and itching.

Now, any eyedrops itch.

So, the eye doctor has prescribed Pataday (same thing as a Patanol). I have used it twice and it seems to increase the itchiness upon initial application. Should I give it a few days to let it work??

My other concern is that it will increase my dryness because of the BAK preservative. The doc said if it works that he will keep me on it for a while.

Questions:
    How do I determine what is causing the allergy?

Am I at risk for increased dryness (if that is even possible) with an allergy drop?

Does the intitial itchiness upon application of the allergy drop mean that I am allergic to it to?

Thanks, MDE

I recently noticed the same thing. I had an intradermal allergy test that was negative...the only other thing that I can think of is that I have been using nutratear more often....is it possible that I am allergic to that? has anyone isolated a sensitivity to nutratear?

Comment

Patanol completely eliminates my itchiness, pretty much immediately. If Pataday increases yours, I would have to question if you are not allergic, or at least hypersensitive, to something in it? Have you read the package insert and is itching a known side effect? I only use Patanol during allergy season and only when I have symptoms. I read somewhere that any ill effects from BAK resolve completely with short term use.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Am I CRAZY??

I have been onPataday for one week now and the eyes are still very itchy and I seem to be hypersensitive to any PF OTC drop. Boo!! Last night was rough - my routine of tranquileyes, Refresh PM on lids and Celluvisc just seems to be aggravating things. I resorted to a cold, damp, washcloth to get me through. I am so tired and confused about why my eyes are so inflammed.

I know in my heart that this too shall pass and that I just need to keep working to find a solution. But, boy, this intense itchy with all the other dry eye stuff is enough to make me jump out of my skin.

It is so hard; when I finally think I have found a regimen that helps me manage, I develop new symptoms and I have to start from scratch again.

Has anybody out there had difficulties with the itchies to only become sensitive to everything??

Thanks for the rant.

MDE

Comment

eyedrop sensitivity

I, too, experience sensitivity to so many drops. I just keep experimenting with different drops. The Refresh drops seem to aggravate my condition. Lately, I have been trying Genteal gel, and it seems to be helping more than aggravating the situation.

Comment

Are you certain it is the eye drops you are allergic to ? I am allergic to acrylic nails, and nail polish .
            Sadly, I tried to keep my nails nice to compensate for my lousy eyes.
            Then I noticed I was always worse after a visit to the salon. DUH!
            Now I am noticing a pattern of inflammation on certain days, and I suspect it may be hairspray.
            I went cold turkey today and my eyes have been great all day.

Comment

Working...
            X