How do you get tested for allergies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get tested for allergies?

Hi everyone! I went to see Dr. Latkany this past week, and FINALLY got a diagnosis. Turns out I have about 5 meibomian glands working per lid. My other glands produce absolutely nothing, probably why other docs thought my meibomian glands were working fine since they couldnt find the thick "toothpaste" they were looking for.

Anyway, I was told to get tested for allergies because I may be allergic to something that pushed me over to feeling this bad. As a patient, how do I ask for allergy testing? I want to get tested for mice (i started working on them a few months because my eyes starting feeling really bad), dogs, dust mites, and any cosmetics and prescription creams I put on my face. I assume I can just inform the allergist to test me for mice, dogs, and dust mites, but what about the stuff I put on my face? Do I bring all my cosmetics and prescriptions to the clinic so the allergist knows, or do I write down all the ingredients in those cosmetics? Or does the allergist have a standard list of things to test people for?

Thanks!

Hi odydnas,
    I assume I can just inform the allergist to test me for mice, dogs, and dust mites, but what about the stuff I put on my face? Do I bring all my cosmetics and prescriptions to the clinic so the allergist knows, or do I write down all the ingredients in those cosmetics? Or does the allergist have a standard list of things to test people for?
    First, you need to locate an allergist who will see you as a first time patient. They are likely to have a long waiting list. You may ask your primary care doctor for a referral if necessary. Once you find a doctor willing to see you, they will send you a bunch of paperwork to fill out and take back.

Each doctor has his/her standards of how a new patient's treatment goes. Allergy testing is not something that you can "just ask" and be tested for. You will give the doctor your symptoms and they will work out a plan on that. If you continue with the testing, they will do a bunch of little scratches on your back (or arm) and each one will be an irritant which will represent dust mites, etc. . You will then wait for reactions. Depending on how the testing turns out, the doctor will make recommendations. Possibility of allergy shots, medicines, avoiding irritants etc.

Good luck, Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks Lucy!

Comment

Working...
      X