This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies without the itch?

I know that all the docs say you can't have allergies without an itch, but anyone beg to differ?

Carrie

What would make you think allergies if there is no itching reaction to something specific?

Comment

I do believe this is possible. In fact, I know someone who was highly allergic to dust mites. It caused his blepharitis, but he never experienced any itching. Definitly possible but rare.

Comment

Allergies w/o the itch was something that I struggled with when I was told that I have allergies. But I got tested, it was confirmed that I am allergic to various things such as dust mites, some pollen, etc. Also, I have other allergic symptons that never bothered me as much as my eyes, such as nasal congestion.

Also, another reason I am reluctantly becoming a believer is that allergy medicine makes me and my eyes feel better. Also, if you do research on allergies, allergies can manifest themselves via various symptons that people overlook as just not feeling well. Dr. Latkany told me that if I can get the allergies under control I will feel better. It is true, the more I address the allergies (which is a manifestation of a comprised immune system), the more I do feel better.

Comment

TD2007 how do you treat your allergies? Dr. L. gave me Pataday and I have been using it for a while, but I actually feel as if it makes me feel worse - I experience more burning and redness. What works for you?

Myself, I have dust mite allergy, and I am also very allergic to something in my workplace that I haven't quite figured out yet.

Comment

Hello Blueyes,

If Pataday causes irritation, you can chill it; or ask your doctor for a script for Patanol instead. It's the same medicine, but Patanol is used 2x per day while Pataday has more of the medicine (olopatadine, I think) and is only used once per day.

I seldom get eye itching. My symptoms are dry eyes and more mucous production in the eyes. I use Zyrtec or one of the other OTC allergy meds, plus Pataday and NutraTear. This combination seems to control my allergy symptoms.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
              Hello Blueyes,

If Pataday causes irritation, you can chill it; or ask your doctor for a script for Patanol instead. It's the same medicine, but Patanol is used 2x per day while Pataday has more of the medicine (olopatadine, I think) and is only used once per day.

I seldom get eye itching. My symptoms are dry eyes and more mucous production in the eyes. I use Zyrtec or one of the other OTC allergy meds, plus Pataday and NutraTear. This combination seems to control my allergy symptoms.

Good luck,

Lynne
              Thanks for the tip, Lynne. I will try chilled Pataday drops tomorrow and ask dr L. about Patanol when I see him in two weeks. He gave me Pataday because I am already on Restasis and he did not want me to have to put the drops too many times a day.

Comment

Patanol stopped Working

Originally posted by gz9gjg View Post
                Hello Blueyes,

Good luck,

Lynne
                My doctor gave me Patanol and it worked for about 6 days then stopped.Would you suggest I need a stronger drop.

Comment

Hi Lynne, thank you again for the tip. Chilled drops work much better!

Comment

Hello Blueyes,

I am glad to hear that the chilled stuff is more comfortable for you.

Hello Dee,

What do you mean (and how do you know) that the Patanol stopped working after 6 days? I suggest you need to check with your doctor - maybe you have early symptoms of an eye infection rather than allergies. I am not a doctor.

Good luck,

Lynne

Comment

Originally posted by futbolplayer1 View Post
                      I do believe this is possible. In fact, I know someone who was highly allergic to dust mites. It caused his blepharitis, but he never experienced any itching. Definitly possible but rare.
                      i find this very interesting. i was told i don't have blepharitis, but i do have red eyelid margins, am really allergic to dust mites, and have itchy eyes. did your friend figure out a solution to control his blepharitis due to dust mites?

Comment

[QUOTE=gz9gjg;31237]Hello Blueyes,

I am glad to hear that the chilled stuff is more comfortable for you.

Hello Dee,

What do you mean (and how do you know) that the Patanol stopped working after 6 days? I suggest you need to check with your doctor - maybe you have early symptoms of an eye infection rather than allergies. I am not a doctor.

Good l

When I used the drops my eyes immediately felt better.My doctor said that maybe because the Patanol has a lubricant in it is why.If that's the case then how come Theratears did give me relief?Only a temporary relief.The Patanol lasted for 6 hours.Every summer I get the hayfever symptoms but not until the weather gets hot and humid.I bought some Eyebright to try.

Comment

Allergies: No Itch????

Hi Curly,

Yes, clinical studies have shown that itch is NOT necessary for ocular allergies. In the classic allergies, there is usually itch, but it is not always. The old definition of ocular allergy is :grade 2 hyperiema (red eye), and grade 2 itch. These are "signs and symptoms" only. The are lots of people that have hypersensitivity and therefore develop dry eye from the sub-acute response (no red, no itch). Allergic insults are cumulative. So a person can have a normal eye, plus one insult that raises their IgE levels slightly. The IgE (allergic response) results in a complex series of cascades that will develop excess fatty acid which cuts the lipid layer (oil) and results in evaporation. Thus dry eye.

The typical red eye (signs) takes about 94 days to manifest into the classical signs that are listed in the doctor manuals. Patients often present in 20 - 30 days making the "signs and symptoms" indistinguishable. Thus studies show that a red eye can be bacterial, viral, or allergic. On rare occasions, there can be two or more causes.

I would suggest that you find a local doctor that can measure your TEAR IgE response. This tear IgE is a local response (generated locally from the 4 million plasma cells that line the conjunctival area, and so it may not be elevated in your blood. Studies have shown that blood serum IgE levels are unreliable for ocular allergies, and only correlate in severe allergic patients.

It is true that if you have red eye and itch, it is most likely to be allergies, but the reverse is not true, that is if you don't have itch, you can not reliably rule out allergy.

Find that doctor that can test your tear IgE. You will be amazed at your progress.
                          Michael Touch
                          Scientist
                          Dry Eye Research
                          Center of Excellence
                          www.touchscientific.com
                          mtouch@touchscientific.com

Comment

Hi Michael,

You mentioned "cuts the lipid layer (oil)". Does this mean MGD?

Also assuming it is allergies, if one takes Patanol for allergies, will the relief be immediate or can it take weeks, months, to notice a difference in symptoms? Can you please explain how this drop works for allergies.

Thank you

Comment

Cuts lipid layer

Hi Plat,

When you have the allergic cascade, which generate the excess fatty acid, the acid will breakdown the oil layer abnormally rapidly. This does not mean you have MGD, which by definition, means that your oil glands are not working, or generating enough oil. Your oil glands are working, but the protective outer layer of oil is broken prematurely. This causes excess evaporation, which is one of the two primary classifications of dry eye (tear deficient and / or evaporative).

I hope this helps.
                              Michael Touch
                              Scientist
                              Dry Eye Research
                              Center of Excellence
                              www.touchscientific.com
                              mtouch@touchscientific.com

Comment

Working...
                              X