X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with perfumes

Hello

I'm wandering if anyone else with dry eye has experienced the same as me. I've never been one to suffer with allergies but at work recently where i share a small office with one other person I've noticed I have a problem if that person wears perfume. It makes my dry eyes feel worse and after a couple of hours or more of exposure i get a terrible sinus pain/ headache.

Since having LASIK 4 years ago and developing dry eye, i have problems with dry sinuses/ nose that easily becomes inflamed in dry heated atmospheres and get blood in my nose. This gives me sinus headaches. I've read that 50% of severe dry eye sufferers also note problems with their nose as tears drain into the nose and then down the throat to keep it moist.

I only noticed this perfume intollerance at work in the small 8ft square office that i humidify and think it may be the concentration of scent in the air. I believe as my nose is now dryer that there is less moisture in the nose to protect and wash away irritants in the air. Tears naturally contain anti bodies and anti inflammatory cells so perhaps this forms a function in the nose? I've also noticed sweaty trainers in the office for 2 hours or more cause my nose to become blocked from inflamed sinuses and I get a headache, i did some research on the internet to see what it could be and apparently sweaty trainers give off mold spores which can cause allergic reactions in people with comprised respiratory systems (that includes the nose). Mold spores can cause blocked nose, runny nose, itchy eyes and itchy skin. I wander if i get this now that i have a dry eyes/ nose.

Interestingly a couple of years ago at the eye hospital a doctor there said to me that he could see allergens in my eyes. I asked what could the allergens be and he said it would be allergens in the air.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else who has developed dry eyes has noticed less tollerance of allergic substances. A friend of mine who had LASIK but didn't get dry eye syndrome has complained more of itchy eyes due to her hayfever and now uses eye drops to manage her symtoms which she thinks washs away the airborn allergens.

Caroline

I've got a customer (I don't think he's a member here) who is post lasik and extremely sensitive to perfumes and colognes. He wears swim goggles at work which for him has been the only reliable way to keep it under control.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I cannot be around fumes of cleaning supplies at all or my eyes are miserable. Actually any fumes are uncomfortable but cleaning supplies are the worst.

Comment

I cannot be around fumes of any kind. They make my eyes tear up and turn dark red-they feel like they are on fire. Any scent that is too strong such as lotions and perfumes also make my eyes tear.

Now when I clean I only use Natural cleaners and not much of them.
        Jenny

Comment

I too have switched to natural cleaners, I'm not sure if i am intolerant of the fumes but after having Lasik it just seemed to make sense to go as natural as possible...I no longer trust in things I used to trust in!!

I have always been very sensitive to perfumes etc. My other half could never spray his deodorant in the bedroom cause the smell would over power me.

Caroline...have you thought of getting punctual plugs...I found they were one of the things that made a difference in my comfort level.

B

Comment

I just remembered something else-several months back I made the mistake of using a 'gentle' carpet cleaner powder and then vacummed. Needless to say, my eyes were horrible and I had to leave my place for 24 hours and air it out. Never again will I clean my carpets that way... It also made me think of my pore cats and what they have to put up with living indoors with all the chemicals out there. Chemicals and dyes can be highly dangerous.

Does anyone else get sick when walking through a paint isle or rubber type products like in a Home Depot? Once my Sjogrens hit my eyes and mouth I can't tolerate places like that anymore-I get dizzy, out of sorts and of course my eyes hurt.

Have a great weekend everybody and play it safe!
            Jenny

Comment

Hi

HI

Thanks for all your posts. It good to know i'm not alone!

Thanks for the suggestion on punctual plugs, yes i have these in my lower lids and help a little. I could not tollerate the upper one as well which scratched my eyes. .

Goodluck everyone
              Caroline

Comment

Perfume bothers me and cleaning agents, especially chlorox. It bothers me also to go in stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, Sam's Club etc. Not sure if the air is extra dry there or just the dust and chemicals in the air.

Comment

Black Rubber is a common allergen. I thought my Doc was nuts, suggesting it was a problem for me, after all, how much black rubber could I contact on a daily basis ?
                  Turns out, that stuff is everywhere! Escalator handrails , the seal on my car doors, garage doors.
                  Basically every time I went to work I closed my garage door, opened and closed my car doors then rode at least 4 or more escalators a day.
                  Then if I changed into my more comfortable flat shoes, I handled my rubber soles.
                  Its a wonder the I could see at all .

Comment

Rebecca posted a while ago some research that supports all of these experiences. It's pretty interesting, so I thought I'd post a link:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=2324

--Liz

Comment

Working...
                    X