X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DES and Nickel Allergy

Hi there,

Grasping at strings (literally) here....I recently had a bad nickel allergy from a watch strap clasp and in my desperate quest for causes of my dry eye I started to think of other nickel exposure...I play the guitar every day and my left hand is therefore in contact with the (nickel) strings on a regular and sustained basis....I rub my left eye with my (left) hand regularly - I know I SHOULD NOT but the dry eye drives me nuts and it feels like my eyelid is sticking to my eyeball.

The point is my right eye is 90% better than my left (it is still dry but manageable) and my right hand does not come into contact with the guitar strings.

Anyone think this connection is plausible? or had similar experiences?

Many thanks and keep up the good work.

Hi Seamus,

I recently posted this study, published last year, that tested 401 patients who had “periocular contact dermatitis” to find out what were the allergens that caused the symptoms (“contact conjunctivitis, contact allergic and/or irritative eyelid and periorbital dermatitis, or a combination of these symptoms.”)
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=7170

The second most common allergen was fragrance mix (which we have been discussing on another thread). But the most common allergen was nickel sulphate.

I was very surprised to find out how many things in our environment contain nickel. Watches were the most common, but even some eyeglasses contain nickel.

Do you have a plan to reduce or eliminate your nickel exposure?

Some of my suggestions:

Have a container of antibacterial wipes nearby to clean your fingers periodically as you are playing your guitar.

Find a pair of lightly tinted wrap-around sunglasses to wear while you are playing your guitar (like Bono ) to keep yourself from rubbing your eyes.

So, do I think it could be the nickel?

I’m not a doctor, but yeah, I do think it is likely.

Scout

Comment

Im wondering the same thing about a fixed brace i have. But i realise i really am grasping at straws because i have no reaction when touching nickel or anywhere else in the body. Just my eyes.

Still more likly ocular rosacea, but i may pursue this and get a blood test for it.

Would you be allergic to nickel if you came in to contact with it and touched it? or is it possible to be reactive in one area (eyelids) and not from touching eyes, but systematically from a brace in the mouth.

I emailed an allergist about chemical and they said its rare for chemical sensitivities to cause eye problems- its usually food or dust allergies/ intolerance. Ive been tested for both and im neither.
      I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Are there allergy to rice, noodle and bread? (then no need to eat things?=.=)

I have tired eye after eating, especially dinner. Dinner that may due to the fluorescent light.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks to all for responding - especially Scout - a very detailed and informative response. Seems to lend good weight to my theory. Maybe I should take up drumming.

Comment

Car keys are nickle.
            I don't think I would trust the allergist . I have seen several scientific studies and articles, (posted a couple here )
            that list all the many chemicals that can trigger eye reactions.
            It is actually quite common.

Comment

Working...
            X