Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first visit to an allergist (well, immunologist)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first visit to an allergist (well, immunologist)

Last week I had my NHS appointment with an immunologist in order to have a skin prick test. I was quite pleased in that I had a good 40 minutes with the Dr, and I had 2 positive results.

I tested positive for histamine (the control), dust mite (excreta I assume) and grass pollen. I did not react to tree pollens or mold. The test did not cover things like rubber, nickel etc - I understand a dermatologist would need to do a patch test for those.

I had a good chat with the Dr, who was my age and had eye problems himself. He had struggled with red eyes which had started to affect his vision and he was well aware of suffering etc. He'd tried steroid drops etc, and had found the sodium chl...gominate (or whatever it is) not to be helpful for him due to it's BAK content. He got a preservative free version (or BAK free anyway) and he found that was sorting his problem. I intend to try them too, though I'm far from positive that my problems are allergy related.

He prescribed me an anti histamine (which I'm aware might make dryness worse, though hopefully only temporarily if so), and a nasal spray. Only been doing it a few days so far, and though I don't have high hopes of success, I'm glad to at least by trying something.

All in all quite pleased with the visit if only to have a Doctor who I felt was on my side and could understand a little of the life affecting nature of DES. DES has been getting me more down than usual lately, so reminding myself of this visit by posting about it is good. It's also good to show those who come into contact with the NHS that there are good people about there.

Thats great to hear...I hope you gave him the name of this site...might be a learning experience for him!!

Bernadette

Comment

Hey,

just thought I'd let you know that's good news that you are trying the allergy route to treatment, it's worked pretty well for me so far and I'm absolutely positive that allergies are my problem. Just remember to keep in there, anti-histamines do generally take ages to work (took months for me ) and also I found that the method of putting in the drops is important - I find that if you let the drops 'settle' in your eyes by keeping them closed for a while they work SO much better. Also I didnt find one iota that antihistamines cause further dryness, so don't worry about that aspect. Let me know how it goes chap!!

Cheers

Comment

Great to hear.

I was so hoping my three skin prick tests i had would bring up something that i could avoid. But all three were not significant, one came up with a mild reaction to grass (hayfever) since that is only summer and was only mild it would not be enough to cause the problem.

But good luck to you, it would be so great to just be able to avoid the allergan! Try getting an air puriyier for dust and eliminating dust from your room and house as much as possible. If it definitely was dust, immuno therapy (desensitization) is an an option for dust mites.
        I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice all

Comment

Arc- Hmm, where did you hear it takes anti-histimines a long time to work?

Jlg- What type of nasal spray you using, is it a steroid?
            Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

I found anti-histamines have an mild 'effect' (a good one) but I don't think it's because it's countering an allergy, rather just stopping that 'itch' thing!! So I don't take them as I don't know that it helps me figure the rest out.

How many things did they test you for? I had a test once but it was only for 10 things, all neg., never been sure that it's enough to only test that little.
              just keep swimming...

Comment

They didn't test me for much after asking what I come into contact with and eat etc.

About 10 things sound right - and as I say contact things like rubber and nickel etc would be a patch test.

I was given Rhinocort Aqua which contains budesonide (a corticosteriod).

Comment

Sounds like a good doctor, delayed tear clearance time due to allergies or sinusitis is known to exacerbate dry eyes I believe.
                  Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

MGD, that's just what my opthomologist told me, that it would take around 3 months to work because I had built up such a strong immune response and inflammation over the years. Absolutely no idea if this is scientifically correct or whatever but I personally did notice that it took a long(ish) time to start feeling noticeably better from the antihistamines.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcaeon View Post
                      Hey,

just thought I'd let you know that's good news that you are trying the allergy route to treatment, it's worked pretty well for me so far and I'm absolutely positive that allergies are my problem. Just remember to keep in there, anti-histamines do generally take ages to work (took months for me ) and also I found that the method of putting in the drops is important - I find that if you let the drops 'settle' in your eyes by keeping them closed for a while they work SO much better. Also I didnt find one iota that antihistamines cause further dryness, so don't worry about that aspect. Let me know how it goes chap!!

Cheers
                      Arcaeon- you say it took months- was this to notice an improvement in dry eye symptoms? I have tried antihistamines in the past but not longer than 3 days since they were always quick on hayfever symptoms and i didnt notice a difference.

Do you attribute improvement to eyedrops or the antihistamines? i was different allergy eye drops for months and didnt see any improvement.

and where was your inflammation? did it clear up?

Thanks
                      I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I saw an allergist a couple years ago and tested positive for a few things - mainly grass (hayfever). I receive immunization shots and anti-histamines - it didn't do anything to help my eyes. I think people with hayfever are just prone to these types of conditions - although we haven't figured out exactly why as of yet.

Comment

Hey guys. Just want to add that I am 4 months into my allergy shots to help with chronic mucus, dry eye in the mornings and through out the day. The prick test found me severe and moderate to a bunch of stuff. Nothing else seems to work for my eyes and this is sort of a last resort. My eyes have always been much worse in the mornings. I haven't noticed any change yet but crossing my fingers for the 1 year mark. That's generally when they say you might notice a change. I will keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                          X