Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oral antihistamine for ocular allergies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oral antihistamine for ocular allergies?

has anyone had any success with an oral antihistamine for their ocular allergy (mine appears to be dust mite) and if so which did you use? i know oral antihistamines tend to dry out the eyes but every allergy eye drop i use makes them more irritated so i'm not sure what else to do--i tried claritin but it didn't seem to help at all...

Zyrtec

I use Zyrtec ( I get the generic, it's expensive) when I really need something for allergies. It is a bit drying but sometimes it helps with the itching eyes.

Comment

thanks for the reply, do you have inflammation too? (if yes does it help with that?) i don't have the traditional itchy allergy eyes, but i'm positive for dust mite allergy so that's about the only thing i have to go on, just not sure allergy meds can help with allergic blepharitis--is zyrtec non-drowsy?

Comment

Originally posted by mclaire66 View Post
        thanks for the reply, do you have inflammation too? (if yes does it help with that?) i don't have the traditional itchy allergy eyes, but i'm positive for dust mite allergy so that's about the only thing i have to go on, just not sure allergy meds can help with allergic blepharitis--is zyrtec non-drowsy?
        very interesting. the first dr i saw said ocular rosacea/mgd because of extreme inflammation to point where eyes were not producing oil. azasite cured me for two weeks, but the realized pataday helped.

Most recent dr i saw said i had allergic conjuntivitis (ocular allergies). I am getting tested on monday. I know dust affects me and so does chemical components of soap products.

I am very excited to see results. I have been avoiding dust and havent really needed pataday. I cant use it anyway until the tests are done because it can cause a false negative. Acular was given to me and I tried it, it is a non steroidal anti inflammatory that has offered a little relief when i needed it.

I am very interested to see how the allergy testing comes outt.

HANG IN THERE!
        Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

good luck with the allergy testing meebo, let me know how it turns out and what they give you to treat it, it sounds like we have similar symptoms/diagnosis, i have ocular rosacea too--i've done the dust mite protection thing: put allergy covers on bed, took area rug out of bedroom, vacuum with hepa filter, swiffer floors often (with goggles and face mask!) and wash bedding often, but no change, actually i've been feeling worse, i do notice when the rosacea on my face is worse (tho it's a pretty mild case so far) my eyes seem to bother me more, but my eyes themselves are clear it's my eyelids that cause me the most pain, i still don't understand what the treatment for ocular rosacea is, i've only read doxy but i can't imagine it's good to be on an antibiotic for an extended period of time? i wish allergy drops worked for me but they all make my eyes more irritated--i'm starting allergy shots next week for lack of any other answers, i just need something to help until the shots kick in--how long did you take acular, i'm reading it's used mostly for acute pain and should only be taken for a short time (as in recovery from surgery) is that true? is it safe for long term?

Comment

allergy

well, allergy testing shows 100% confirmation that I am allergic to cats, dogs, and feathers. They started with a prick test on inside of arm which showed a reaction to one mold and a dust combo. intradermal testing then confirmed the three.

Pataday continues to work, doc gave me alamast which hasnt proven succesful yet, and then there is acular which i havent used that much. seems like it does not do much.

anyway, i still have to allergy proof my room and i am going to pursue food sensitivity testing. last week i megadosed vitamin C (6 grams in morning) and my eyes were amazing all day. Studys show vitamin C to be a natural antihistamine. coincidence? maybe, who knows.

gonna get to the bottom. I almost want to think that there is a combo of rosacea and a combo of allergy. i need to see a really good dermo

Comment

glad you found what you're allergic to meebo, i wish pataday worked for me it only seems to irritate my eyes more (as do other allergy drops i've tried) i've allergy proofed my bedroom too and keep it clean and as dust free as possible but i still wake up with puffy eyes, i do put about 2000mg of vitamin c powder in my morning juice drink but i'm afraid to use more--i've read quercetin acts as an antihistamine as well, anyone tried it for allergies (or any other supplements) and had any success?

Comment

Originally posted by mclaire66 View Post
                glad you found what you're allergic to meebo, i wish pataday worked for me it only seems to irritate my eyes more (as do other allergy drops i've tried) i've allergy proofed my bedroom too and keep it clean and as dust free as possible but i still wake up with puffy eyes, i do put about 2000mg of vitamin c powder in my morning juice drink but i'm afraid to use more--i've read quercetin acts as an antihistamine as well, anyone tried it for allergies (or any other supplements) and had any success?
                dont take my word for it but I believe you can go to very high doses of Vitamin C without it being harmful. Most common side effect is upet stomach. I took 10 grams one day and my eyes felt 100% symptom free and white as a 15 year old's. not sure if there was a correlation or i just had a lucky day.

Comment

i tried claritin again and i thought maybe it was taking the edge off a little but my eyes got very dry so i'm going to try singulair next, i've read it's not as drying as other anti allergy meds (i don't think it's considered an antihistamine?) has anyone tried it and had their eyes become drier? has it helped your ocular allergy symptoms?

Comment

Hi,
                    I have had extremely dry eyes for two years now. I have tried it all....every drop, oinment and gel OTC. I am on Restasis have used Lotemax, Altrex and even serum drops. My Schirmer tests were zeros at one time. I do use Evoxac too at times.
                    This past month my PC doctor put me on Singular. My eyes have not burned with dryness since being on it. I now use the OTC eye drops and instead of them burning my eyes they actually lubricate them. So, I do think the Singular has at least helped with my eye dryness and also my lips used to swell terribly. I havent had that happen since being on Singular. But, I have only been on it one month. I was given samples. Today I have to go get my RX and the cost is over $60. dollars. I hope at that cost it is the Singular working. Still so new in to it I am not sure?
                    I am probably in pre-menopause as well as I was d/xed with Sjogrens.
                    I would like to hear others take on what has helped them if they are in my boat.
                    Thanks,
                    Faithfully

Comment

thanks, i started the singulair and am hoping aside from not drying my eyes that it will help with the inflammation that the allergy seems to be causing, not only in my eyes but now i'm having chest pain and shortness of breath after each allergy shot, the allergist said it's costochondritis and has nothing to do with the allergy shots (said lungs sound fine) but it happens after every shot so i know it is, i think the allergen in the shot is causing inflammation in the chest wall, but i can't get him to listen to me and i don't know what to do from here, i'm afraid to go for another shot now...

Comment

I too have been getting allergy shots since Oct. 08. Since then my head is full of inflammation....miserable feeling. All along I have wondered if it is b/c of these shots? I have been told to give them at least a year.
                        I never had any type of allergy as a child. Still dont have allergy symptoms such as sneezing, watery eyes or even a cough.
                        Along with Singular i am trying Bee Pollen and other vitamins, hoping to find something that eases up my dry eyes and thick head feeling.

Comment

i'm the same faithfully i've never been allergic to anything in my life (i'm 42) and i don't have the itchy eyes/sneezing/congestion associated with allergy but i tested (twice) with severe dust mite allergy, i think allergies can operate differently in different people, with me i feel like it causes inflammation, i'll have bad days where my eyes are really puffy and inflamed but no other symptoms, and i know it's the dust mites cuz it'll be after i do some cleaning or am in a dusty place for a period of time--the problem is when your allergies present differently it's hard to get the dr to listen to you because it's not something he normally sees, which is the problem i'm having with my dr--have you asked your dr if your inflammation could be from the shots? what kind of allergy do you have?

Comment

mclaire66, I was d/x with Sjogrens Dec. 08. Up until that time the only problem I had was extremely dry eyes and bad PMS. Since then I have been d/xed with dust, mold, cat/feather allergies along with 20 food sensitivities.
                            My major symptoms are extreme head, throat, jaw, inner ear and neck inflammation.
                            The right side of my face becomes inflamed which restricts my breathing and my face hurts....esp all around my eyes. I guess this is all my sinus area.
                            I have major headaches daily.
                            I have not found a doctor who thinks I am not just a basket case. I have been put on anti-anxiety. This helps sometimes b/c I get so tensed up from the pain and this then makes the pain even worse. I try to take the Klonopin, the anti anxiety medication, only when I am really tensed up.
                            The Singular is helping but I havent had a pain free day in almost two years.
                            I am 47 years old and pray this isnt how the rest of my life is going to be.
                            I come on this site looking for answers. i was on the website for Sjogren and literally scared to death of how bad it can get.
                            My only outward allergy symptom is post nasal drip. Other than that this is a mysterious affliction that I pray goes away.
                            Hope we find answers.
                            Faithfully

Comment

oh no i'm so sorry to hear all that faithfully, it makes me beyond angry that drs would rather label you than actually do their jobs and try to help you, i know everyone is different and sometimes it can be hard to find what works for someone but brushing you off like that with all those debilitating symptoms, i mean why do they go into the profession in the first place when most of them are annoyed by sick people?? if the source of your problems is the sjogrens what are they doing to treat that (i'm sorry i don't know much about it or how it's treated) i hope you are able to find some answers too, that's just awful...

Comment

Working...
                              X