• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas...

Well, another Christmas gone...

I hope everyone had a good holiday!

Mine was pretty good...

My only pet peeve was all the unsolicited advice etc about my dry eyes... they meant well and all, but I was quite content to NOT be dwelling on my eyes thank-you-very-much...

Don't get me wrong... a simple how are your eyes doing would be nice - I appreciate it when people ask! but when it turns into a stream of questions... well, it's a bit much...

At dinner...

"What dr are u seeing?"

"What did dr so-and-so say?"

"And what about that other dr?"

"Have u tried Lacrilube?? That stuff lasts TWELVE hours!!!! I've used it and it's GREAT!!!"

etc...

And then everyone is opening presents and the advice/questions start yet AGAIN... man..

Like I said... they mean well... but... well... MAN!!! I just felt crappy that they were worrying about me and frustrated with all the questions... And I can only imagine the worry they'd have if they knew I was on cyclo-fricking-sporine drops!... soooo... not going to mention THAT anytime soon!

So now I'm trying to unwind and get to sleep, but all of that stuff they kept asking me about etc is just swirling around my brain... sigh...

Hmmm... maybe I should count sheep... haha

SAAG,

Christmas goes by so fast. We went to my mother in laws - the cat house. No offense to cat lovers. My eyes did not like that!!! No, they did not like that one bit.

Enjoy your day today.

Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

SAAG, you're not alone in your pet peeve. It does sound like it comes from a well meaning place though.

I never like to bring up my eyes too because I also have a pet peeve about the comments and questions, but someone will always remember and bring it up. Although my questions are a little on a different side, more along the lines of:

"How's work/school? Oh you're STILL not working/going to school? You STILL have that eye problem? I mean, it can't be that bad"

"Are you planning to mooch off your boyfriend forever or something?"

"Why don't you see a doctor?"

"Are you SURE you're not making this up?"

"you should get LASIK" ( I don't see how that would fix my DE, but ok)

"i just went to my eye doc and he saids I have dry eyes too!! So he told me to use eyedrops, and I feel perfectly fine. Stop making a big deal about it" (This one REALLY pisses me off because I'm not even the one that brings up my eyes!!!!!)

I've also gotten movie tickets as a present....

Boy am I glad the holidays are almost over.

I really regret telling anyone I had "dry eyes"..........the most "silliest" disease of all. Except for my grandma, who in her old fashioned grandmotherly concerned ways, gives me monthly calls to persuade me to get married for the following reasons:
      1. all financial worries can rest on my husband,
      2. I won't have to go to school anymore ("what's the point of grad school anyway if you have a husband?" oh grandma!)
      3. I can focus my time on seeing doctors and relaxing
      4. I can have babies to distract myself from the pain.
      She cracks me up everytime. I think its sweet that she actually believes I am in real pain, although her solutions for it are a little wacky.

Comment

Yeah, it's for sure coming from a well-meaning place... so what can u do, right?

Your grandmother's "solutions" cracked me up Odydnas... and the Lasik suggestion was SO misguided that I actually laughed out loud when I read it

And hopefully the effects of sharing space with cats will be short-lived Melissa!

My eyes feel lousy today after spending so many hours out of goggles over the holidays... drops helped some, but not nearly as much as my Wiley's! Oh well... it was worth it because I had a pretty good time... hopefully my eyes will recover quick!

Comment

This thread is hilarious! I've never actually told many family members and friends about my post-LASIK eye problems. I feel some bit of guilt for that, and have divulged when I know someone is thinking of having it done.

It's just that I don't want to have to deal with what you've described here, particularly on my husband's side of the family...all the unsolicited advice. Heck, the occasional good friend of mine who is "in the know" on on my eye condition still cannot understand why my eyes are so teary despite my claim of dry eye. It's just too complicated.

I loved Grandma's suggestions, particularly since I've employed numbers 1 and 4. Too funny.

Diana
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Yes, I must admit that number 4 is an excellent distraction from my miserable eyes!

Comment

I'm 9 years post Lasik-disaster.

At a Christmas party I recently attended someone said "How are your eyes". I mentioned that nothing had changed. Then they said: "Really? I thought by now you would have gotten over that".

How do you "get over that"?

Comment

Have a "good eyes" new year That's my wish for the new year!
                The cure: be open minded

Comment

Working...
                X