Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dark circles and red eyes - people laughing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark circles and red eyes - people laughing?

Hi!

I just want to know if others experience other people reacting badly to you if you have both dark circles and red eyes?

After I got dry, red eyes, I got really depressed. The result of this was no exercise, eating only junkfood, drinking cola and a lot of candy. Alcohol consumption has decreased over the past year also.. The only exercise I get is when I walk to and from the car for buying food.
    I can't remember the last time I was in daylight for more than 5 min..
    This has been going on for 18 months now.
    BTW, I have gained 70 pounds the last 18 months..

So I guess it's natural to get really dark circles around the eyes after 18 months of this lifestyle?..

I'm on my way now to change everything, eating helthy, exercise regulary, etc, and hoping the pale face, dark circles and loosing weight will go away after a while..

But my question is:
    If you have dark circles and red eyes, do you see people laughing at you or staring?

I feel like an alien when I'm around people now. Most people just laugh or stare. I know I look tired and all, but come on..

My family says it's just paranoia..

I have been diagnosed with paranoia, social anxiety, psychosis, depressed..
    I got all this after I got dry, red eyes -all I could think about was my red eyes and people reacting to this..

It don't take much to push me over the edge
    The cure: be open minded

Hi

Please don't worry about what other's think of your eyes!!It is only going to cause you more stress which is what we are supposed to avoid.
    I have seen many of your posts and it sounds like you are fighting hard to gain control of yourself and I think you are going in the right direction.
    I too have been fighting ocular rosacea for almost 2 years and have been where you have been,but I am not going to stop looking for a Dr. who cares about people like us and that keeps me motivated.
    I wear tinted eyeglasses(as my vision has worsened and is so blurred), so people don't notice my eyes too much and if they do I don't worry about it as their ignorance at laughing or staring is not important to me.
    Maybe if you wear sunglasses you might not feel the way you do.
    People(especially friends and family)have no clue what we all have to endure just to function on a daily basis.
    If I had a quarter for everytime someone commented on how red my eyes are or what a rough night I must have had I could go on a trip!!!
    Try to focus on feeling better about yourself and know that there really are so many people that understand exactly what you are going through, as we are doing the same.
    I wish you the best and will be thinking of you!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by redandsensitive View Post
      Hi!

I have been diagnosed with paranoia, social anxiety, psychosis, depressed..
      I got all this after I got dry, red eyes -all I could think about was my red eyes and people reacting to this..

It don't take much to push me over the edge
      Now who has given you this diagnosis? Distinguish facts from assumptions!

Please - get your diet right, take some exercise and you will start feeling better. Your feelings of anxiety, depression and irritability could be due to your poor diet because it lacks the essential chemicals to keep the brain healthy. You strike me as an intelligent person so do something about this now.

Never mind about other people - you matter, not them.

Comment

i agree, work on yourself and forget the other people. i know, easier said than done. exercising will release "feel good" endorphines and once you start losing the weight and begin eating healthy you will start to feel good from the inside out.

another thing that helps me when i get overwhelmed...watch less tv, read quality books (not magazines with celebrities and their gorgeous eyes) and avoid social sites where everyone else seems to have everything going for them.

limit your exposure to things that end up making you feel worse...and take time to do things that you enjoy.

hope this helps!

Comment

So sorry you are feeling like this but look how many people are thinking of you and want you to enjoy your life and take those steps to finding out what makes you feel better. I am wondering whether you and your family know what is causing dark circles around your eyes because from your posts you are thinking it is genetic. I know allergy can cause this, but also other endocrine disorders. Might be worth checking it out in case there is a dry eye link.
          Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

My advise is also to start wearing glasses. Because it's not so easy to stop worrying what other people think. When I get bad eye days I also like to hide myself. It's been already 15 yrs - very hard at the beginning, much more under control now. I get physically sick if someone says: "oh, your eyes are so red"
            We have one famous journalist in our country - handsome looking young man whose face got injured in car accident and nobody has seen him in public without black glasses. So start wearing tinted glasses and don't let them stare if you don't want to. And get some psychological help! Antidepressants helped me a lot for example.

Comment

I agree with wearing glasses.I just wear ordinary glasses but i feel more confident coz i think people tend to look at the glasses rather than my red eyes!

Comment

I also wear tinted glasses. Outside and in brightly lighted indoor areas I wear VERY dark large glasses. Inside I wear glasses that are tinted at the top and taper down to almost clear at the bottom. I feel 'well hidden' from prying eyes of others.

Also, they make my eyes MUCH more comfortable. When I put on the dark ones especially, I can feel my eyes 'relax'.

I wish you all the best in your endeavors to better your life. I have had many struggles, also, and am doing much better now. Just keep on doing your best to eat right and exercise.
                I have found that both have helped me to feel better. It really does affect your emotional and physical well being to put good fuel into your body! Exercise outside when you can, my daily walk has become a part of my battle against depression - I really feel the difference if I miss it even one day.

Best wishes, Lynda

Comment

After I got dry, red eyes, I got really depressed. The result of this was no exercise, eating only junkfood, drinking cola and a lot of candy. Alcohol consumption has decreased over the past year also.. The only exercise I get is when I walk to and from the car for buying food.
                  I can't remember the last time I was in daylight for more than 5 min..
                  This has been going on for 18 months now.
                  BTW, I have gained 70 pounds the last 18 months..

I'm on my way now to change everything, eating helthy, exercise regulary, etc, and hoping the pale face, dark circles and loosing weight will go away after a while..

...I have been diagnosed with paranoia, social anxiety, psychosis, depressed..
                  I am so sorry for what you've been going through. Depression - which nearly everyone who gets dry eye experiences, many severely - can create a really horrible vicious cycle that is so self-destructive.

I am very glad that you're able to put out the effort to start clawing your way back from that. In addition to any other dietary changes you're making, if you haven't already, please consider taking Vitamin D supplements because if you're not getting into the sun, you're not making your own.

I don't know anything about dark circles... but I do know that whether or not you can get rid of them, you CAN and WILL feel much better about yourself and about social interactions in time. One foot in front of the other, one little step at a time, and trying above all to keep yourself focused on today's task and today's efforts rather than worrying about what more you'll be faced with tomorrow.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Excess salt intake can cause dark circles as can allergies.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone!

I have declared war against dry eyes now, and I hope I win.

I don't know what I would do without this site, we all share feelings and information here, whitch really helps.

It's hard not to care what other people say (react) to my appearance (eyes), but I will use my sunglasses in the sommer.

I don't know what's up with the dark circles, I'm completely healthy without the eyes. Dr. Latkany said in his book that people with dry eyes, often got dark circles also. God damn I hate this eye condition!

I'm sorry for lashing out on the forum. It's just so hard to stay positive when you feel like ****

Anyway, thank you for your help and encouraging words!

I still think about undergo cosmetic eye surgery in Korea, maybe in a year or so when I have lost a great deal of weight and have reduced my social anxiety.

I have to go to the supermarked now (god help me), but again -THANK YOU

BTW, applying raw honey on the lids are not a good idea, I have developed two huge cyst in my eyelids after I started using the honey. My lids are soo swollen and it hurt like hell when I blink. Well well, with all of this I can become a circus freek and make some extra money
                      The cure: be open minded

Comment

I have to go to the supermarked now (god help me), but again -THANK YOU

Now then you !!

Did you buy some good food when you were in the supermarket? I hope you did.

Comment

Working...
                        X