This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• managing/ coping for young people

this is directed at people who are young in their 20s...

how do you continue to have a 'normal' life despite a condition like this, or as normal as possible. also, how do you maintain relationships with your friends as well as develop new ones? any ideas.

thanks

It all started when I was 21, (16 yrs ago), first years in college.. you can just imagine. I had as little social life as possible. Bad thing about this dry eye is, that it's hard to be explained to people. Even best friends. Furthermore - I didn't know my diagnosis at that time. I just felt myself like a freak with red eyes. I was almost normal during daytime but my coach turned into bumpkin after 6pm... How can you tell people that I can't join you at night because my eyes turn red?? So I just stayed home, perfectly healthy otherwise, so willing to go out. And lied that I have other plans, that I'm sick or sth. Felt myself horrible, terrified. Somehow I struggled through college and work. Even got married (never imagined that I could share a life with somebody), now I have 2 babies, career.
    Couple of years ago I found this forum and I feel much better now. Hot compresses etc. And most importantly - I know that I'm not a freak, just dry eyes - condition like any other. Life is worth living again.

Comment

It can be really hard at times. I still struggle from time to time with many things. For example, sometimes when I'm at school and my eyes are not bothering me I feel like a normal person and it feels great. And other times when my eyes are hurting I feel like an outcast because I am not as outgoing and it is harder to hold long conversations so I just tend to avoid getting in these situations.

It's frustrating because it feels like you are not able to be the person you want to be. I think there is a fine line between pushing yourself and knowing/accepting the condition we have. I always try to push myself to make friends and talk to people because class or work is always better when you know people and express yourself. I have also learned that there are times when it is okay to be by myself and give my eyes a well needed rest from all the socializing.

Comment

Also, I have a bunch of friends I know from high school that knew me before my eyes got bad. You find out real fast who your true friends are. The friends I still keep in touch with pretty much act the same as they did before my eyes got bad. Most of them drink beer and smoke and stuff, but I don't really do that anymore and after a while nobody really notices or says anything about it. For the friends I lost contact with, I could really care less about because they weren't the people I thought they were anyway so I don't even worry about them.

Comment

I developed eye problems 8 months ago

I was 24, now 25. I am still figuring out my life. I have eye pain 24/7, there is never a time that I feel normal. I haven't been able to work, go to school or really socialize. I worry constantly that this is what the rest of my life will be like, but, the longer I have it, the better I am at coping. I have a very supportive family, boyfriend and friends who are helping me through.

Comment

Working...
          X