This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medication for depression

My Dr. would like to have me on an antidepressant, but there doesn't seem to be anything that she can prescribe that will not complicate my dry eye problem. Has anyone found an antidepressant that doesn't have the side effect that causes dry mouth/dry eye? Really having trouble dealing with all this. I recently did the saliva test to check my hormone issues and am now on a hormonal cream, but this has been for 3 months, and not seen much difference in mood and depression.
    Also got samples of Lacricerts last week and they are irritating to my eyes, still trying to get used to them. One eye worse than the other.
    Eyes so tired because I am not sleeping well either. I am on an anti-anxiety pill also. Just frustrated!

Hello, I understand your frustration. I too have bouts of anxiety and depression, both of which I never had prior to dry eye. I have been battling the anxiety with a small dose of Lorazepam. I am luckily weaning off of it and only use it once or twice a month. It definitely helps me get through the panic attacks I was having. For depression my doc put me on Celexa. I am only taking 10mg a day, and I'm now only using it once every other day with the hope of weaning off of it as well. I hear 20mg is really a better dose if you really want to feel the effects. I don't think it worked for me, but it could have been because I didn't titrate up to the amount that would make a difference. However, Celexa's side effect is yawning (I didn't know this once I started taking it, just found out after I told my doc I was yawning all the time). This was actually a great benefit for my eyes! So, long story short, I don't think either drug bothered my eyes, I think the stress I was feeling certainly did. I have heard wellbutrin doesn't have dry eye side effects either. Good luck. I also turned to yoga and hypnotism (which is just meditation). They both helped.

Comment

Hi there -

I just began taking Zoloft in November and it definitely has not made my eyes any drier and has absolutely helped with my depresion and anxiety (all based upon the situation with my eyes). It did make my mouth drier at first but that subsided after a few weeks. Wishing you relief.

Comment

I used to be on Wellbutrin, but one of the side effects is dry mouth, which would also cause dry eye, so I am surprised that you don't have trouble with it.
        I take Buspar for the anxiety, .5 mg in morning, .10 at night.

Comment

Tried lamictal?

I have been on lamictal for probably 7 yrs. I have bipolar, but i know it's also used for chronic depression. I don't think it affects dry eye, because I used it for yrs before developing severe DES and RCEs, as well as dx of EBMD. I can't function w/o it, so it's moot. It's a medication originally developed for epilepsy, that has the serendipitous side effect of also positively helping w/ bipolar and depression.

I'm not an MD, so please take this for what it is, just a personal account.

I sure hope you find something that works for you, because I know how difficult it is to deal w/depression as well as DES and all other stressors we have.

Take care,

Maria

Comment

Hi jwax -

I'm not sure if you were referriing to my post, or another below. Anyway....

I used to be on Wellbutrin, but one of the side effects is dry mouth, which would also cause dry eye, so I am surprised that you don't have trouble with it.
            I take Buspar for the anxiety, .5 mg in morning, .10 at night.
            I should also mention that I could not find dry mouth on any Zoloft side effect lists. My GP specifically suggested this one for me since he is very aware of my dry eye problems.

I have had a dry mouth since giving birth to my 2nd child so the more I think about it it's likely the Zoloft had no affect on that for me either, or it only exacerbated it for a while since it's an ongoing problem for me.

I'm sure it has not negatively affected my eyes based upon the way they feel (I don't even have punctal plugs anymore) and based upon the Shirmer's & other test results from the eye docs.

Everyone is different though (as we know from this board - what works for one person won't necessarily work for another). I'm glad I gave it a try since it's all been positive for me.

Comment

Well, I finally gave in and agreed to take Celexa this past week. Got the generic, 10mg. at Walmart for $4. That was a plus!
              Just hope it doesn't affect my eye dryness. I realized that I have 2 serious problems, severe dry eye and depression. I have not had a lot of luck with the dry eye, but the depression has been getting worse, so just have to try to feel better.

Comment

Working...
              X