This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed

I've been usually in pretty hopeful spirits, although I do get discouraged at times when my eyes have been really bad, I can handle it at home better, but work and play are a different story. My husband and I have a RV that we got at the end of last summer, so only went out a couple of times before fall hit, we were really looking forward to enjoying it this year and then this dry eye thing hit me, most of the places we have gone have been really windy, like the ocean, and a favorite place on the Columbia river, this is when my eyes really make me feel like my life has really changed, I even had someone at work suggest I just go on disability, I've allowed myself to really get down, and sometimes my attitude just stinks, I want to cry so bad, every time I see someone shed a tear I wonder if I will even know what it feels like to have a tear roll down my cheek again......it's funny what you miss.

I felt this way the other night. It was so hard. We'd been invited to a private concert and the whole evening, the a/c whirled above me. We were at the head table right in front of the performer and I had to keep my eyes shut or squinted nearly the whole time. I just wanted to cry; it was so hard. I just kept putting eye drops in and trying to act like I was "normal" throughout the dinner.

Thankfully, each day brings something new and that means, the next day can be just as good as the last was bad. Still, when you're in the moment, it's really hard to stay positive.

Do you have goggles? The Gorge is so windy, I imagine it would be near impossible to be there without them. With them, though, it should be ok?

Comment

Yes it is so frustrating when you can't just simply enjoy something like the concert, you just take such things for granted before. Your right that gorge is so windy, but one of my husband and my favorite places, he likes to fish and it has a nice beach area, I don't want to say we can't go now, we even booked it for next august, there is a coveted spot, and you have to booked it a year in advance, we feel so lucky to have it next year! I don't have googles, but I would like to get some of the moisture chamber glasses, I was looking at them, I would need to get Rx lenses in them, so it would cost a bit, will take some planning, have you tried them?

Comment

I haven't had luck finding ones that fit my tiny face (WileyX are too big although I may bite the bullet and get some anyway because some protection is better than virtually none).
        I do have a pair of prescription swim goggles on order. $55 -- not bad! Obviously not something I plan to wear out and about but if you're in a secluded spot, it might be worth it to wear them out. You could probably do it with super close friends too. There'd be the initial laughing but with good friends, they'll understand and you'll be comfortable. I ordered them for winter. I don't ski anymore because of my eyes (hopefully some day!) but even visiting my parents' is agony so I figure, I'll wear the swim goggles when I'm at their house and at least I can spend time with them and not be in so much pain. The doctor I ordered them through said that some of his patients have found that they end up with too much moisture and have fogging issues so have drilled a couple of tiny holes (super tiny) on each side and that allows just enough air flow that they don't fog up but still maintain a lot of the moisture.

I have a pair of onion goggles at home http://www.dryeyeshop.com/catalog/onion-goggles.htm (I found mine at a local hardware store interestingly) and have found that they work well except that the ear part squeezes my head so much that if I wear them for a long time, I get a headache. That and they aren't prescription, which I need, so I can't wear them when I need to see. They are good,though, in a pinch and they look more normal than swim goggles. They also happen to be awesome for cutting onions -- they really DO provide protection!

Comment

I hate not being able to go to movies anymore or things outside as the allergies and wind kill my eyes.. i have severe MGD and sjogrens.. really sux.. i am on disability through my job... had to give it up a year and 1/2 ago... When i am feeling better i may see if wearing my Ziena moisture chamber sunglasses in teh movies would work but of course the everything on the screen will be darker..

i know what you mean about being depressed & looking back at the little things taken for granted-like good eyes!!! hang in there.. everyday is new and there are always the possibilites of something new coming out to help us... hang in there..
          Jenny

Comment

I have three pair of WileyX glasses. One clear, they are a bigger frame but look more normal (brick); one non-prescription sunglasses, they are such smaller and fit right around my eye socket (blink) and then a pair of prescription sunglasses. I wear these all of the time. If I did not have these on my eyes would swell shut. I am a high school teacher and I even wear them in the classroom. The only time I take them off is when I am in the shower or asleep. Today was the third day of school and I explained to my students why I was wearing these "unfashionable" glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Trac View Post
              I have three pair of WileyX glasses. One clear, they are a bigger frame but look more normal (brick); one non-prescription sunglasses, they are such smaller and fit right around my eye socket (blink) and then a pair of prescription sunglasses. I wear these all of the time. If I did not have these on my eyes would swell shut. I am a high school teacher and I even wear them in the classroom. The only time I take them off is when I am in the shower or asleep. Today was the third day of school and I explained to my students why I was wearing these "unfashionable" glasses.
              You are brave indeed! Good for you!!

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
                I haven't had luck finding ones that fit my tiny face...

I have a pair of onion goggles at home http://www.dryeyeshop.com/catalog/onion-goggles.htm (I found mine at a local hardware store interestingly) and have found that they work well except that the ear part squeezes my head so much that if I wear them for a long time, I get a headache. That and they aren't prescription, which I need, so I can't wear them when I need to see.
                PotatoCakes, you might want to consider the Cyclone from 7Eye. Kind of sucks that they are available in matte black only. But the frame is really, really similar to Onion Goggles, in fact when Onion Goggles first came out I just kind of assumed they were a cheap knockoff of the Cyclone. The difference is the Cyclone of course you can get an Rx in, and though the foam is built on you can get it re-foamed at 7Eye when you need to. I'm not stocking them at the moment but I believe 7Eye are still selling them even if they don't show up in their online store. 925-484-0292 - they have a good return policy so it might be worth a try. I do NOT think of the Cyclone as a really small model - the old Vientos were the perfect one for small faces but unfortunately they were discontinued - but if Onion goggles fit you and are too tight at times, I think Cyclones might be worth a whirl.

Been reading a few other threads and it sounds like we really need to convince some good opticians in the PacNW to start making custom moisture chambers. Hmmmm.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca -
                  Thanks for the tip. I'll call the store I found that carried 7Eyes and ask if they can get some in for me.

And YES, I agree, someone needs to start making custom moisture chambers. I keep thinking I'll find someone who does simply because of all of the cycling in the area (really, with all of the custom-made bicycles, why not glasses?!)

Comment

i just saw this title and had to read through it... dry eyes is very depressing but i guess every illness is... i have hadthis 4 and 1/2 years -got it at age 32 although i know i have had sjogrens a lot longer as my mouth was always a tad dry..and lots of cavities even tho i was dilligent about going to the dentist 2x a year and always brushing and not drinking soda..

anyway,,, when the eyes or eye (usually my left eye) flares up bad and its like that for 10 days what can we do to cope? to get our mind off of it?? so many people tell me i need to focus on other things.. basically get a life.. i know that but it seems everytime i try to my eye or both flare up and i get knocked down again.. anyone have any good suggestions??? much appreciated..
                    Jenny

Comment

Hi Jenny,

It really can be heart wrenching to have sore eyes. I know people mean well when they tell you/us to get a life. . . forgive them because they really do not understand. They have not walked in your shoes and dealt with the pain. . . they don't know what to say and people tend to get very uncomfortable with pain and sadness.

Here is what my therapist recommends. . . learn to find ways to please yourself. . .give yourself a foot massage, soak in a tub with candles around you, listen to radio/music, talk to a close friend, find things to do with your eyes closed: yoga, stretching, more talking.

I know you have been here a long time. I haven't checked old posts, but have you tried sclerals? Have you been to Boston?

I always tell myself that the soreness will pass. I like to reach out and talk to someone who I know will understand and not judge.

Send me a PM it you need to talk to someone! I don't have many answers but I listen pretty well!

bella_girl

Comment

Most definitely...

I think there is a big enough demand for nice looking googles for people who need to wear them indoors...even at fancy locations. We don't need the large frames. A skinnier frame would make them look less like goggles. Then we would need the seal in a clear plastic ....or the minimal amount of tint to hide that we are wearing funky glasses. The clear plastic is a nice touch for hiding the sealant around the eyes. Oh and make them easy to put prescription in it...and the lenses easy to pop in or out in case we need several different types...colors etc! Pretttty pleeeeze!

Comment

I'm right there with you re: getting depressed at times because I can't do the things I had enjoyed previously. Because I frequently have abrasions, I can't get any water in my eye, sea water, shower water. I had loved swimming, that's been very hard to cope with. But as far as dealing with dry air, I have found the 7eye Oasis glasses to be a Godsend. I can at least look more normal than with the black foam of the scirocco. But the frames are so huge on the face - I feel like I'm a throwback to the hippies. I get tired of the staring by other people. But at least there's something out there that allows me to keep my eyes open...but I think somebody should invent some glasses that work for us, that look fairly normal, but that are attractive. Like the custom ones that several people on here have gotten. I don't know of any place in Maryland that can make them. But they probably wouldn't seal well enough for me. My L eye is so gritty. The soft plastic of the Oasis glasses does a pretty decent job of sealing around my face if I use those glasskeepers that you can slide the wooden bead up to keep them tight to your head. Does anyone else have another suggestion for keeping them from sliding down their nose? Maria

Comment

Two recent occasions I was surrounded by people at a table...one was in a restaurant during my mothers birthday and the other was a meeting at work. I tried to go without my moisture chambers due to embarrasment and it resulted in the pain building up. I went to the toilet a few times to put drops in...but they only provide a few minutes relief. Eventually, the pain gets so bad that the moisture chambers must go on. The ongoing hassle and bother this condition creates in life can really mess with the emotions and cause anxiety. Take time to relax, meditate, use nutritional/herbal supplements for mild depression (see a doctor for severe depression), exercise, eat well... all is important with chronic pain sufferers.

Comment

Working...
                            X