Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here is what I have learned from two recent threads...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is what I have learned from two recent threads...

(...two recent threads which have now been deleted...)

In the interests of transparency:

Confession: I only read a relatively small proportion of posts on the forum these days due to lack of time. That means I miss a lot of stuff.

I knew that a certain relatively new member occasionally acted the proverbial bull in our china shop (in fact we collided via email before he even registered) but I avoided reading his posts carefully simply because I have a short fuse for certain things and didn't want to over-react. At least such was my excuse. If I'd been doing what I used to do in these cases I would have gently intervened earlier and stopped his collision with another member from escalating.

What I learned:
    1. I need to get back off my lazy *** and be more preventive in the playground monitoring here. I don't want to coddle: I know we can all deal with bruises and scraped knees. I just want to prevent concussions and any serious blood loss where possible.
    2. You are all the dearest, most intelligent, loyal and kind community on the face of the planet. (Not that I didn't already know that.) All those who jumped in (you know who you are), BIG HUGS!!!!! For those who eloquently and/or humorously expressed ire, I confess to huge vicarious enjoyment.

What I did:
    Gave two members a time out. One apologized amply and has been reinstated. Haven't heard from the other and rather think I won't but who knows.

How you can help:
    When you see something of concern, please use the "report post" (exclamation point thingy) button on a post. What this does is it posts a link to the thread in question, with your comments about it, in the moderators-only forum (there's just 3 or 4 of us who have access to that and we respect confidentiality).
    Reporting a post does NOT mean you're complaining about the poster! It just means "Gee, Rebecca or whoever's moderating right now, you might want to read this if you haven't already." You can use it, by the way, for anything interesting, exciting, worrying or offensive or whatever - it's just a way to draw attention to it discreetly. It's a big help. No one will know you've used that button. Also don't forget to use the reputation (star) button when you see posts you really like!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Rebecca
    This site has to be one of the best moderated health forums I have used, (not that I use that many) which gives me confidence I suppose. I can remember some years ago, standing up for somebody who had made a good point and I was pounced on like a pack of wolves, with no support from moderator's. In fact I think I probably became public enemy no 1, simply because I too began to see through "the emperor's new clothes".
    No, I do feel safe here and I know that you fairness has a knock on effect which is reflected in the courtesy expressed by most poster's.
    Lulu

Comment

I watched these threads also; Lulu - this is aimed at you and I hope you don't mind me paraphrasing what you said in another thread. It was in response to people's thoughts on doctors

You said something along the lines of this ......I keep as cool as cucumber when i deal with doctors.....'

This really resonated with me and I try to maintain a degree of `cool' also - I don't always manage to do so but it's always better if I can.

I have had a similar experience to the one you alluded to and it deterred me from contributing to the online forum further. (ie commenting on another poster's contribution. Courtesy is important. I will conclude by asking how are your eyes? Mine haven't been too bad at all for a couple of days and it's great. I will leave it at that. I've had a productive day and I feel good.

Comment

Hi Irish Eyes!
        Still waiting for the PCT to decide whether my blood is a treatment or a drug! Crazy but true, the forms are in the process of being processed but its taking a while. My eyes have always gotten a little worse each year, they are not that great but the summer has allowed for a small improvement, but not as much as in other years.
        I know how it makes one feel when one posts on a forum and they get dug at, it does not seem to happen here that much luckily, one might not always agree with what another says, but generally it does not disintergrate. Everyone on here has always been helpfull and kind with informative personal emails. I have occasionally noticed the odd person convinced of a cure and I agree that this can kind of stir up the wrong kind of approach when someone gets insistent that they have the remedy, particularly if they are very new to the forum. Alternative approaches are always a topic for great discussion and this is a highly emotive issue on all forums as everybody has drastically different responses. Still great to dip into different stuff.
        Glad your last few days have been kind to you.
        Lulu x

Comment

Working...
        X