Young People with Dry Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reply to Adam:

Hey, it is great to know that theres someone with similar eye problems who is about my age! Apart from Restasis and other drops, I do most of the things you do, flaxseed oil, warm compresses, humidifier (except I've recently given up on that because I always forget to plug it in ). I completely agree with you on how it is hard on the eyes when doing things like studying. I'm kind of worried about how college is going to work out for me next year. My mom has suggested the accupuncture to me, but I have yet to try it. It definately sounds like an idea though. I'll be sure and pray that things get better for you, because I definately know how you feel!
    -Amy

Comment

Alternative medicine

Hey Kyle,

Another possible alternative medicine option that may be cheaper is called Reflexology. There is a lot of controversy over weather or not it helps, but I figure who better to decide than the user. And if it doesn't help your not out alot of money (around here in the midwest it cost $25.00 for a 1/2 hour). Talk to a good massage therapist and ask if they are familiar with Reflexology. At worst you get a foot massage. Good Luck. Jeff

Comment

Reflexology

The "eye" point on the feet is between toe 2 and 3 I believe. It's been awhile. Don't hold me to this either: the opposite foot may control the opposite eye. ie.....left brain controlling right side, etc.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi. I'm a young dry eye patient too.

What I want to tell you is that don't expect too much from acupunture to cure dry eye syndrome. I'm a Korean, and I know a Korean forum site for dry eye sufferers (yes, there are many Korean people with DES). Their first choice of treatment was usually from eye doctor. When the treatment fails, they went to acupunturist.

People who have visited acupunturist all say that acupunture did minimum relief or nothing at all for dry eye. So, it is unlikely that you will get satisfactory relief from acupunture.

So, it was my 2 cents

Comment

People who have visited acupunturist all say that acupunture did minimum relief or nothing at all for dry eye. So, it is unlikely that you will get satisfactory relief from acupunture.

So, it was my 2 cents
            Thanks Wishful. Your point is very important to point out to people. I can only speak for myself, but I've been to acupuncture about 6 times. I also have a lot of pain around one of my eyes. Dryness could be causing some of the pain, but i also have trigenimal neuralgia. I am also on Restasis and Acular started about the same time I went to acupuncture.

It's really hard to weed out what does, or doesn't work for dry eyes. While I wouldn't say acupuncture has helped my dry eyes, I do believe it "may" have helped with the pain around my eye. But.........then again.......is it the Restasis working on dryness?

Since acupuncture is not terribly expensive or invasive, some may find it worth trying. By the time most dry eye patients get to acupuncture, they are quite skeptical and probably do not expect a miracle, but are hoping for some improvement. We are all learning from others through this difficult path.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I have to second Lucy's post. I'm also going to acupuncture weekly. Hopefully I'll taper to maybe every two weeks or once a month in time. But for now, I'm pretty faithful and I do believe it's helping me. Like Lucy, there are so many other factors, it's hard to pinpoint what's working and what isn't. I will say that I'd skipped out on a couple acupuncture sessions and found myself struggling and calling for an appointment.

The thing to remember is that some things will offer relief to some people and not to others. You won't know until you try.

If nothing else, tell your acupuncturist you need to relax. It'll definitely help that.
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy09
                Hi everyone, I am pretty new here. I am eighteen years old and have been having problems with my eyes for about four years now. About a year ago, things got EXTREMELY bad though, and I have seen probably six doctors since then. I have been diagnosed with chronic dry eye and SLK.

Several doctors were sure I had thyroid problems or an autoimmune disorder. I have Raynaud's, muscle pain, dry eyes, and dry mouth, among a couple other symptoms that caught their attention. I had not even been aware of them (except the dry eye of course) until my doctor began asking me questions. Unfortunately, after NUMEROUS blood tests, all which have come back normal, there is still no exact cause for my problems. A reumotologist (spelling?) that I went to still seems to think I had Sjogren's, but Plaquenil has not helped.

I have tried many many perscriptions for my eyes, including a couple steroids. I even had cauterization done, which did not help at all. I am currently taking Restasis and Refresh Tears. I used to wear contacts, but can no longer stand to wear them. I have had very bad eyesight ever since I was about 6 years old and my perscription is far to strong to try the new hydroclear contacts.

This is such a frustrating health problem, mostly because I am so young. My eyes have gotten so bad, that I am no longer able to go out and do many of the things I used to. I want a job after school, but am in too much pain to do so, and I am loosing touch with my friends because I am too much pain to hang out with them most of the time. School is extremely difficult to get through because of all the pain I'm in, and no one my age seems to understand. I go to college next year and am scared that I will not be able to experience it well because of all the pain I'm in. My eyes burn so bad all the time. I feel like they have soap in them, or almost like they are severely sunburned. They are very red and bloodshot, which makes me very self concious. I get bad mucus in them, and my eyelids are very swollen and red all the time (theye also have bad problems with sticking together when I blink). I also have a foreign body sensation in my eye and sometimes it hurts to blink. The pain is so bad it gives me horrible headaches around my eyes, and I am becoming more and more sensitive to light. My eye pain also makes it difficult to sleep well. Restasis helps for a little bit, but that is about it. I know it sounds very horrible to say this, but there are times when I wish I had no eyes at all, because, even though I would be blind, I would no longer be in pain. I don't want to live the rest of my long life like this.

I hope this site will provide me with some relief to know that there are others out there who are in the same pain I am in. It would be an extreme relief if I could find someone around my age coping with the same problems. Right now I am simply struggling to take it a day at a time and rely a lot on my faith in God. I pray to God every night that things will get better. I would give anything to have my eyes be better.
                Hi

Just wanted to react because this was the first message I stumbled upon to from this website via google and I already kinda like this site

Your story just sounds so simular to what i have experienced. Most of your complaints, worries and frustrations I have experienced. It stroke me to read it from someone else - to see it into writing I guess.

A small introduction.
                I am in my late twenties. My diagnosis of dry eyes was made in 1999 or somewhere in that period I think. Since than I have seen my fair share of docters and eyedrops. I have tried cortisolointment for a month or 2, which did stain somewhat but didn't seem to help. Have had plugs - no difference in my experience.
                I have googled quite a lot on the subject. I've read all kinds of diseases could cause it. Since I didn't see any improvement and I wanted to make sure at least I did my best to exclude as much as possible, a year ago I went to a doc and asked if things could be excluded. Lot's of things were tested for, incluiding autoimmune and virusses like hepatitis. We did the works and came up with nothing much I also had a lipbiopsy to rule out as much as possible sjogrens. This - surprise - was also negative. The only thing which was a tiny bit out of normal range and couln't be explained right away was my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). Still onto that subject suspect to hear more from it next month. It was marginal though and I am really doubtfull if it could be just that.

At the moment I am on a watery eyedrop (max usage a day 2 times) and a sort of antibiotic eyedrop. The only drop that ever really really did good was the prednisone drops - which are dangerous btw.

Mhhh I am of to bed now since I am kinda tired

Greetings

Chandler

Comment

Hi Amy, Adam and all other young patients, I can definitely relate to your experience and your feeling. Before I entered this forum, I thought I was the only teenager who suffered from DES, which started when I was 18. There is not a single friend or a relative(even my parents) that can understand the pain(both mentally and physically) I am going through.Amy, I can feel for you when you said something like "I wish I had no eyes at all", chronic pain made me say the same thing to my friends, but obviously no one could understand that. I feel tortured and tormented every day, my college GPA was abosolutely undermined by my DES. I could study a whole day without taking any break before the occurence of DES, but now I just want to keep my eyes stayed closed. Our whole family moved to U.S after I graduated two months ago. My relatives kept telling me that I would have a "new life", I know they are good-intentioned, but everytime they mentioned it, it just made me all the more depressed because I think I will never walk out of that shadow and because I could indeed have a "new life" if I didn't have DES. My dream is to become a lawyer, but I know DES keeps me from concentrating on my Law School Admission Test,not to mention that it will keep me from handling the heavy workload of legal jobs. It sucks. Life SUCKS. It is unfair, so unfair. I always feel like no one cares about me. Anyway, it is a little bit relief to see that I am not alone. Thank you so much for all your input.

Stephen Chen

Comment

Stephen, you posted to an old thread but glad you found DEZ! You might want to post in the open forum, or 'introduce yourself' to get more responses. There are several younger people on here now and some have been here and moved on. Some late teens, more in early-mid-20's. All different reasons for dry eye.

Have you found a doctor who is willing to work with you? You mentioned your family traveling and that might be difficult. I don't think at this age you can guess the eye situation could stop you from becoming an attorney if you truly want this. Please post on the main part of the board for more help.
                    PS. I see you live in CA and perhaps someone can come up with names of good dry eye docs.

Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)

Originally posted by Diter
                      The only thing which was a tiny bit out of normal range and couln't be explained right away was my TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). Still onto that subject suspect to hear more from it next month. It was marginal though and I am really doubtfull if it could be just that.
                      A few months ago I come accross some research linking hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) to blepharitis in dogs. Nothing on humans, but its worth exploring

Comment

Originally posted by Brighteyes
                        A few months ago I come accross some research linking hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) to blepharitis in dogs. Nothing on humans, but its worth exploring
                        Very interesting! Any links by chance? If not I'll poke around.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

Here are the links I was referring to (no studies though):

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-hea...epharitis.aspx

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-blepharitis.htm

Subsequently came accross a related condition called Thyroid Eye Disease (TED), aka Graves Disease, that might be of interest.

Comment

Back to the original reason I was looking on this thread I am 26 years old and have struggled with severe blepharitis/MGD/dry eye for the past year. It has been really hard for me to deal with because nobody who isn't a fellow sufferer can possibly understand what it is like to have this condition. I have tried to explain to my parents what it is like but they think that I am fabricating some phantom disease as some sort of excuse to postpone the start of my professional career as an attorney. As for my friends, I have been reluctant to tell anyone about my condition because I am afraid that they will think I'm weird or diseased. Instead, I just make up excuses as to why I can't hang out and a lot of my friendships have suffered as a result. Don’t even get me started on relationships. I am trying to remain positive throughout and really appreciate the support network I have found here at the dry eye zone. I really believe that science will find a cure for each and every one of us.

Best Wishes

Brighteyes

Comment

I hear ya!

Bright Eyes,

When I read your post, I thought that I had written it for a moment!.. Except I am 28-years old. We should talk sometime. I've been trying to find someone who "gets it" for a year now. Message me if you are interested in chatting.

Comment

I can sympathize with both of you. I just turned 29. I have had ocular rosacea for about a year now (at least symptomatically) and have quickly come to realize that nobody, other than fellow sufferers, can truly understand what our lives have become. Other than taking naps ( ) DES has pretty much ruined EVERYTHING that I liked to do. I feel your pain. If you ever want to talk, I would be happy to. Please shoot me a private message.

Regards,

Eli

Comment

Working...
                                X