This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor / Patient Troubles (article)

I don't know anything about this eye doctor or clinic but I thought this article had some interesting points in it:

http://suburbaneyecare.com/dry-eye/w...-eye-symptoms/

Why Don’t Doctors Care About Your Dry Eye Symptoms?
    To begin with, it’s true: doctors really don’t seem to care about your dry eye symptoms. In fact, most eye doctors – both optometrists and ophthalmologists alike – generally hope you don’t talk about these symptoms.

Considering a dry eye problem is the third most frequent reason that patients consult these doctors, it is an unfortunate practice. Quite simply, dry eye patients must be very persistent and stay involved with the problem and also with the treatment.

Unfortunately, when doctors do take the problem seriously and take action, what often happens during the course of treatment – which typically takes months – eye doctors then must suffer the frustration of the patient. Dry eye sufferers have difficulty coming to grips with the fact that the cure may come so slowly that improvement, as it occurs, is almost imperceptible.

As a result of this slow healing process, the patient frequently loses faith in the doctor’s plan and, more often than not, becomes noncompliant. The doctor, in turn, instead of reiterating the importance of the treatment by a lot of talking and explaining, mentally bows out.

Dry Eyes Should be Taken Seriously

Now, having revealed this professional trend, I assure you that there are many of us who take patients with dry eyes very seriously. I, for one, having been a dry eye patient myself, understand the discomfort and unpleasant symptoms associated with this syndrome. For me, it meant burning eyes, increased allergic complications, and decreased reading time (and reading is my favorite past time!).

So, what are you going to do now that you have this behind-the-scenes view? Here’s what you do: when seeking a cure and treatment, forget about being shy. Assert the fact that the most driving concern you have is that your eyes are dry!

Complete a copy of the dry eye symptom rating form from our website and hand it to the doctor. Also, as with any human relationship, sincerity goes a long way, so do not withhold your symptoms in an attempt to “quiz” the doctor.

Treatment for Dry Eye Syndrome is Essential

Dry eyes become drier without treatment, and the following signs and symptoms worsen:

sight fluctuates or simply declines
    tearing is a problem
    nasal drainage increases because of the tearing
    eye allergies may become a problem
    corneal scarring (the front, clear dome of the eye) can occur
    red eye from the discoloring of the white (the sclera) can be embarrassing
    Speak up, stand up, and partner with your doctor! There is too much at stake! Insist that your dry eye symptoms be taken seriously.

About the Author: Dr. John Jacobi, is the principal of Suburban Eye Care. He served as President of the Optometric Institute and Clinic of Detroit and now serves as state director of the College of Optometrists in Vision Development. Dr. Jacobi has successfully diagnosed and treated many children and adults with strabismus (turned eyes), amblyopia (lazy eyes), and vision related learning problems for the past 20 years.

Creative Commons Attribution: Permission is granted to repost this article in its entirety with credit to Suburban Eye Care and a clickable link back to this page.
Working...
X