Stress and Dry Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stress and Dry Eye

I was curious if others have found a common thread between stress and worsened dry eye symptoms. I have noticed at times of stress/anxiety that my eyes symptoms become worse. For example, during a big presentation or when meeting large group of people I can "feel" my eyes getting puffy and more irritated. I can confirm in a mirror that there is more redness, etc. What seems to make it worse is that once I feel the onset of these symptoms I begin to focus on it and think this adds to it. Do others experience similar type things and has anyone found a solution? I have a big date coming up (nuptials) and am freakin a bit. I dont want to be focusing on my eyes that day, ya know

stress

I can't say I have experienced it, but I don't have the type of stress you are reporting. I do recall reading of people who have gone on anti-depressants or meds of that sort and saying their dry eye has improved. Perhaps there is a connection there? Perhaps others can speak more intelligently on that subject.
    But I do believe stress can do nasty things to our bodies. Perhaps you could look into homeopathic remedies to alleviate stress? Massage, exercise, vitamins.....all that stuff we are supposed to be doing anyway. I hope others weigh in.....this is interesting.
    And congratulations on the impending nuptials!

Comment

rocker glasses

Get some cool goggles/glasses ala Bono. Elton John copy might be a bit conspicuous. I'm betting you forget your eyes for awhile that day.
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

For me, there is often a vicious cycle relating dry eye, sleep, and stress. Any one of these three could kick it off. For example, a night of severe dry eye prevents me from getting a restful sleep. Then the next day, I'm tired and have fewer tears, which means my vision is worse, and that I feel stressed, which means I have another night without restful sleep, which means...and on and on.

The only way to break the cycle is just to sacrifice a day and just reconcile myself to accomplishing less that day.

Raj

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Cabot
          I was curious if others have found a common thread between stress and worsened dry eye symptoms. I have noticed at times of stress/anxiety that my eyes symptoms become worse. For example, during a big presentation or when meeting large group of people I can "feel" my eyes getting puffy and more irritated. I can confirm in a mirror that there is more redness, etc. What seems to make it worse is that once I feel the onset of these symptoms I begin to focus on it and think this adds to it. Do others experience similar type things and has anyone found a solution? I have a big date coming up (nuptials) and am freakin a bit. I dont want to be focusing on my eyes that day, ya know
          From the University of Maryland Medical Center patient education pages, all you every wanted to know about how stress effects the body.

Biological Effects of Stress

excerpt: "fluids are diverted from nonessential locations, including the mouth. This causes dryness" [maybe eyes, too?]

And from the same site, many stress reduction techniques for short and long-term stress.

Stress Reduction Techniques

Scout

Comment

Working...
          X